Bevel cuts with a Cabinet saw

Dave A

5 hours ago, Dave A said:

I am leaning towards the table saw and a jig right now. I like the idea of the Skilsaw but no track for it and a mess when done. That 8.25" blade would be the way to go and even with a track, if I could find one, has plenty of capacity. The Unisaw I found has a nice Jet 3hp dust vacuum I can tie right into the base and dust remediation is easy. But I might get that Skilsaw anyway just for the Super MWM as it will work fine on those big pieces with a guide.

The Skilsaw is not an everyday saw as its heavy and bulky but a valuable tool to have when its needed.

6 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

If you want to make a 60 degree cut just flip the board over and make a 30 degree cut.

UUUUhhhh no i don't think so.

If you run the panel upright through the table saw on a jig with the blade set to a 30 degree angle it would make a 60 degree cut.

11 hours ago, jason str said:

The Skilsaw is not an everyday saw as its heavy and bulky but a valuable tool to have when its needed.

I have been down that road before. Bought a Husqvarna rancher chainsaw supposed to be better than straight home owner and cut up to 24". Worked me like a dog. Go back and get what the loggers use at twice the price  for the same 24" bar capacity and man. It was heavier but it cut twice as fast and at the end of the day wore you out much less. I appreciate the tip on this and had no idea a saw like this was out there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an attachment for my table saw that allows me to cut a board that is perpendicular to the table. I just today made a few cuts that way to hit a tight angle and it worked great. For some reason one of my sons wanted a triangular boombox (I will complete the triangular top with a metal handle)  Please ignore that I am cutting mdf. I have my reasons and I am not a bean counter.

I can cut wood but cant stop these dang pics from rotating. Hold your computer sideways.

cut2.thumb.jpg.66a4d7ec3bebe1ca6bb1106184fa75cc.jpgcut1.thumb.jpg.7d7638eede5180f696f839cc24c8d004.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

cut5.thumb.jpg.e49a94e8adc6561b7e85dafe3dd5106f.jpgcut4.thumb.jpg.65d2344788df87a6efa89f824d48b807.jpg

thats how i do it, just make sure you sneak up on it or you can have a 2 foor spear shoot through your wall like i did.

now that i think about it, i did mine on the other side with a sacrificial fence.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, MookieStl said:

Please ignore that I am cutting mdf. I have my reasons and I am not a bean counter.

😀

That explains the attachment I saw in a Craigslist ad the other day.  Missed the saw with the dust collector so back to the hunt.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:56 AM, Dave A said:

There is a nice Delta Platinum Unisaw with a Jet dust extractor near by and the idea of not having sawdust everywhere appeals to me.

My good friend and speaker builder has a terrific shop I helped him build. He has a vaccum system that is primo! Minimizing sawdust in the air is well worth the effort.

On 11/19/2018 at 11:29 PM, jason str said:

UUUUhhhh no i don't think so.

If you run the panel upright through the table saw on a jig with the blade set to a 30 degree angle it would make a 60 degree cut.

That's what I did for an 11 degree cut for the Quarter Pies.

Good dust collection is a MUST for your health. If you have not visited Bill Pentz site and read his research, you might want to do that.  Your lungs will thank you! http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/medical_risks.cfm

Bill helped me quite a bit when I set up my dust collection system.  Well worth the cost to add that level of safety if you plan on doing a bit of woodworking. 

Last year I purchased a Sawstop.  What a great cabinet saw.  Very solid and precise piece of equipment.  Safety level goes way up with the Sawstop.

Good dust collection and a good cabinet saw don't come cheap.  Don't skimp on those items if at all possible.

Complet_Front.jpg

Completed_Cyclone.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

Last year I purchased a Sawstop.  What a great cabinet saw.  Very solid and precise piece of equipment.  Safety level goes way up with the Sawstop.

Good dust collection and a good cabinet saw don't come cheap.  Don't skimp on those items if at all possible.

That's what my good buddy has. I helped to lift that sucker out of the truck. Heavy duty all around hernia maker!

20 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

Bill helped me quite a bit when I set up my dust collection system.  Well worth the cost to add that level of safety if you plan on doing a bit of woodworking. 

What did you get?  Looks like that Delta Platinum unisaw with the roll around thing and additional extensions and a fold down side table is back up minus the 3hp dust collector. That's OK since I doubt I needed anything like that dollar sucking jet engine anyway.

Not sure if I understand your question.  What I do have is the Professional StopSaw with an Incra fence system.  I built a large 4x8 outfeed table that I can move around the shop and serves as an assembly table as well.  The cyclone is the Clearvue CV1800 with the large impeller and 5hp. motor.  I can tell you one thing.  I will never again work in a shop that does not have adequate dust collection.

The cyclone is loud, which is why I built a small space outside my shop to house the cyclone and my compressor.  Now I can work in the shop in a rather quiet environment.

8 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

Not sure if I understand your question.  What I do have is the Professional StopSaw with an Incra fence system.  I built a large 4x8 outfeed table that I can move around the shop and serves as an assembly table as well.  The cyclone is the Clearvue CV1800 with the large impeller and 5hp. motor.  I can tell you one thing.  I will never again work in a shop that does not have adequate dust collection.

The cyclone is loud, which is why I built a small space outside my shop to house the cyclone and my compressor.  Now I can work in the shop in a rather quiet environment.

Refering to your dust collector only and the rest was just a comment on a saw I had been looking at that had a 3hp dust collector with it.

21 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

Sound advice. My 2 HP Grizzly dust collector takes up a lot of space, but I would not want to saw without it. Because I only saw on rare occasions, it is triggered by an iVac ProSwitch that turns the dust collector on when the saw motor starts. Thanks for showing us your ClearVue cyclone, I think I want one now.

My ClearVue came with a remote start system, which works well.  I researched cyclones quite a bit before purchasing and was originally going to get the Oneida Gorilla.  After talking to Bill Pentz, I decided on the ClearVue and have been very happy with it.  The folks at ClearVue are super nice and extremely helpful. All my shop tools are connected to the system via 6" metal duct and controlled with manual gates.  I got heavy gauge HVAC ducting and saved quite a bit on the metal duct vs. the very expensive dust collection ducting. A total DIY system and it works very well.