Klipsch RC 62 II quit working. Trying to repair.

Trevalin

So I was watching a movie fairly loud but everything sounded find. The next day when I turned the system on again, the center channel sounded raspy and blown. I've taken it apart and can't see any signs of it being blown, but it sure sounds like it. Whats weird is that it's the woofers and the tweeter. In fact, one of the woofer has no sound coming out of it unless I push on it a little. then there's a faint raspy sound coming through. If I need to order replacement woofers and a new tweeter, that's fine, just wanted to make sure it wasn't something else that was wrong instead. Ring any bells? Any information is much appreciated. Love this speaker. 

You'll want to take each driver out and test them with an ohm meter.  Report back with your readings.

Could be something fried in the crossover as well.  Hate to replace drivers that are working only to find that that wasn't the problem.

Also check all external wiring and wouldn't be a bad idea to connect a different speaker to that output as well.  Lots of things that could be the culprit.

• Like 2

Appreciate the reply. I ordered a ohm meter. Will test it on Wednesday and reply with stats. I did hold a 9volt battery up to the speakers wire inputs and it did respond with some pops and speaker moved in and out, but not with a consistent pulse. It was random and still had that sound of raspy ness. 

Also, I did hook another speaker up to it and it all sounded final on that channel, so I don’t think it’s the receiver it self 

On 11/18/2018 at 7:23 PM, wuzzzer said:

You'll want to take each driver out and test them with an ohm meter.  Report back with your readings.

Could be something fried in the crossover as well.  Hate to replace drivers that are working only to find that that wasn't the problem.

Also check all external wiring and wouldn't be a bad idea to connect a different speaker to that output as well.  Lots of things that could be the culprit.

Hey Wuzzzer. Took the readings today. Both woofers read 6.1 when tested at 200 ohms. And the tweeter read 5.2  . From what I’ve read, that’s normal isn’t it? What would be the next step? Any help much appreciated. 

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:59 PM, Trevalin said:

unless I push on it a little. then there's a faint raspy sound coming through

You shouldn't hear anything when you move the driver.  If you do, you've probably melted the voice coil and it's rubbing the gap.

On 11/21/2018 at 7:51 PM, teaman said:

I would also suggest moving the center speaker to a different channel on the AVR or amp, to ensure you didn't blow a channel, and not your speaker

I plugged another speaker in to test the center channel and it’s playing just fine. It’s  bizare 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Trevalin said:

I plugged another speaker in to test the center channel and it’s playing just fine. It’s  bizare 

Sorry to hear that. I hate even posting like I did but sometimes in frustration we overlook the little things. I've done it a few times myself in hothead mode.

Trevalin, if one woofer sounds "good" played in isolation with a complex audio signal (full-range music preferred) and the other does not, then you have all the answer you need.  Replace the obviously bad driver.  (Observe polarity carefully when you do!)

FYI it sounds to me like the bad driver has a rubbing/shorting voice coil---perhaps from physical damage from overexcursion---and was probably borderline defective right out of the box.  Gently axially depressing the cone while taking a resistance reading might reveal that.  You also might do well to set your receiver's center channel speaker size to "small" if it is not already there, and/or set its crossover point to 80-100Hz, to minimize future low bass excursion.  Let the mains and/or sub do the heavy lifting.  Good luck!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rackmeister said:

Trevalin, if one woofer sounds "good" played in isolation with a complex audio signal (full-range music preferred) and the other does not, then you have all the answer you need.  Replace the obviously bad driver.  (Observe polarity carefully when you do!)

FYI it sounds to me like the bad driver has a rubbing/shorting voice coil---perhaps from physical damage from overexcursion---and was probably borderline defective right out of the box.  Gently axially depressing the cone while taking a resistance reading might reveal that.  You also might do well to set your receiver's center channel speaker size to "small" if it is not already there, and/or set its crossover point to 80-100Hz, to minimize future low bass excursion.  Let the mains and/or sub do the heavy lifting.  Good luck!

It's set to small. Whats weird to me is that the tweeter, and woofers went out at the same time.