Shingles vaccine...

Coytee

So, my Doc at Vanderbilt said I should get the Shingles vac.  Fine.  My mother having been a nurse, beat into me to always follow the doctors orders...

I march into Walmart a day or two later to pick something up for the wife and notice they have a poster saying they give various shots and this is on the list!  I ask about it and they have a waiting list since the serum is evidently difficult to get.  Put me on the list.

Maybe two months go by and I'm there picking something up for the wife (I usually avoid the place altogether)  Inquired about the serum and it turns out they've had it in and the list is "done".  Hmm....  and nobody called me why?

So, they admitted the oversight, asked if I wanted it right now (yes). 

As I sat & waited for the gal to stab me, I realized I was wearing a sweater and it might get in way of "rolling up my sleeves"

She came out, concurred....so I pulled sweater off.

I then asked her as she was swabbing the area "Is this going to hurt you as much as it does me??"

"Nope" with a bit of a devilish flavor in her voice and twinkle in her eye.

Well, she must be right because today three days later, it still feels like I have a bruise on my arm about the size of a lemon where it's tender.  (there is however, no bruise on the arm)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SWL said:

Sounds to me like you should really go out and buy another pair of speakers or an amp to take your mind off the pain.

That's what I would do.emoji106.png

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That sounds like a shot in the arm. I know, I just had to say that.

JJK

13 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I'm guessing you know that you have to go back for a second shot after waiting (I think I was told) two months?

4 minutes ago, windashine said:

...never heard that part, or remember registering some form of memory detail associated with my grocery store visit that one day last year... but think I'll go look for the piece of paperwork that I brought home that day and filed in a shoebox somewhere.

Oh, no!!!!!  

Only half the vaccine causes irreversible mental disorders.  It's too late!

• Haha 1

I was told specifically that it had to be (something like) no sooner than two months and no later than (I forget) six?  Nine? months??

She went on to say that there was a window that if you didn't do it, they might still consider you "done".

So, to cut to the chase, in part, what she said didn't make a lot of sense because it sounded like she was saying...

"You need to wait 2-6 months to get your second shot, but if you miss your second shot and come back a year later, they'll probably consider you 'done' verses giving you the second shot"  (or something like that)

I just smiled & said ok since I'll plan on following their guidelines and go back.  In fact, it's already on my calendar two months to the day to start following up on it.

… my record keeping detail need's an upgrade, like - big important purchases such as a uhaul trailer hitch are stapled together and folded nicely.... I got a chair 20 year's ago from a shop that imported hand painted furniture, before everyone used email, and kept all the hand written letters and polaroid's… excuse me while I reminisce about good lookin women...

oh brother... o O ( jeez, don't look at the screen while typing)

but... used the telephone to call the pharmacy/grocery store (gave up on fixin' my filing situation) and they gave me Zostavax last year.... the new Shingrix is the newer 2 step trial version currently.... I asked if I need to come back in for that new vaccine, and the pharmacist said - "no" - just in 5 year's from last year, 2017+5 = 2022...

Thank you for an interesting topic and the opportunity to temporarily relate... I am off today, and pulling out a box of part's for a Crossover build... thinking at first... why does everyone use square boards?  So I'm going to use a 2" thick piece of live edge cedar..... 

Didn't realize there was a different version.  Indeed, I got the Shingrix version.

Westcoast....I hope that's not your belly.... one, because that must be an issue and second, you have no belly button.

No need to disprove me if indeed that is yours.

… still trying to rinse my mind from the first thread picture, so I adjusted my current cat trap to position one on the dial...

• note - he's had his shot's this year...
  • the blue thing is an inexpensive household thermostat money saving device during the colder parts of the year, ahem...

DSC01899 (2).JPG

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Coytee said:

Well, she must be right because today three days later, it still feels like I have a bruise on my arm about the size of a lemon where it's tender.

Sounds terrible but you should have got it in the butt.

4 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

What's worse is.... 

Your right I had it probably 30 years ago, same as you but more on the center of the back. I remember it hurt as much as it looked bad, no fun. Doctor gave me a shot back then, have no idea what it was but it went away. 

If I remember correctly if you had measles your more likely to get shingles, I had measles when a kid so could be the reason?

Shingles is a form of herpes. :huh: 

I got the vaccine After getting the Shingles 2 years ago on Dec 6 2016.

I remember because I was laying in bed and it felt like someone stabbed me 

or a bug bite me in the back. I went to the doctor within 36 hours which is

optimal for treating Shingles so I didn't get as bad an outbreak as the guy

pictured--but let me tell you--After 2 years I still itch where the pain originated.

Shingles was one of the MOST PAINFUL ordeals I've been through.

Anyone that has had Chicken Pox can get them at Any Age.

I have been told by my doc that I need the New Vaccine and when my

insurance kicks in the first of the year--I'm getting on the list.

If you have the chance to get the vaccine and refuse and then get

this dreaded malady---You'll be more than sorry you didn't get the shot.

I was lucky that my "belt", shingles come in a belt was in my mid section.

I've known people who had it on their face, neck and head.