Shingles vaccine...

Coytee

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

Your right I was thinking measles but it was chicken pox, had both as a kid. 

I didn't know I had Chicken Pox as a kid.

When the Dr. told me I had Shingles, I said "Bullshit".

But he was correct and I'm still feeling it.

It can give you nerve damage.

I got shingles last year at 40. I was fortunate and had it diagnosed and started treatment on the second day. A week later it was completely gone. It took 4-5 days before I could take a breath without pain. I had 2 clusters each the size of a half dollar coin of what looked like 4 spider bites. One mid thorax on the front right and another at the same level on the right side of my back. It was truly unbelievable how painful that experience was. 

• Like 1

If directed at me....  it's uncomfortable, kind of like getting a flu shot might be though the flu shot (for me) lasts maybe a half day, full day tops.

Seems to be a more broad tender spot whereas the flu is maybe size of a dime, this one is 50% of bicep.  (of course, if I had manly biceps it would then only be 5% right?!)

Neither one are genuinely painful to/for me just as a year ago, when I fell and snapped my femur in half (without breaking the skin).  Yeah, it hurt...  but I took a shower every day, donned a T-shirt, regular shirt, tied a tie and put a sweater on every day....with the arm dangling beside me (no cast, had to wear a sling for 12 weeks).  Took my normal "5 minutes" to get dressed into 30 or more!  Heck, just putting my T-shirt on took literally about 10 minutes.

Side comment....  I made a comment to the nurse that at least, she didn't do what they did when I was getting allergy shots.  Got them at a place that also treated children.  When preparing to stab you/anyone, they would almost all without fail say "Ok, ready?.....three.......two........one"....

The kids would go absolutely ballistic.  Heck, they even had me tensing up and I'm not afraid of shots at all.  I told them if they insist on a countdown, they might go "three....two....(stab).....  one....."  and all the sudden it's over before anyone knows what happens.  Rather than disguise it a bit, they spotlighted it.

Oh well, I'm rambling. 

Don't watch.

I have blood drawn from time to time....  if I don't see it, I can feel it and it "hurts".  If I WATCH them do it and see the needle go through the process of puncturing the skin, I feel it a lot more.  Has to be a psychological issue in there somewhere.

(By the way, I usually watch the puncture & draw process)

So, my Doc at Vanderbilt said I should get the Shingles vac.  Fine.  My mother having been a nurse, beat into me to always follow the doctors orders...

I march into Walmart a day or two later to pick something up for the wife and notice they have a poster saying they give various shots and this is on the list!  I ask about it and they have a waiting list since the serum is evidently difficult to get.  Put me on the list.

Maybe two months go by and I'm there picking something up for the wife (I usually avoid the place altogether)  Inquired about the serum and it turns out they've had it in and the list is "done".  Hmm....  and nobody called me why?

So, they admitted the oversight, asked if I wanted it right now (yes). 

As I sat & waited for the gal to stab me, I realized I was wearing a sweater and it might get in way of "rolling up my sleeves"

She came out, concurred....so I pulled sweater off.

I then asked her as she was swabbing the area "Is this going to hurt you as much as it does me??"

"Nope" with a bit of a devilish flavor in her voice and twinkle in her eye.

Well, she must be right because today three days later, it still feels like I have a bruise on my arm about the size of a lemon where it's tender.  (there is however, no bruise on the arm)

I did both shots. And both of them have me a 100+ fever for 24 hours. I felt like crap. I did read that was a reaction for some people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks' for not making a thread about yearly physical examinations, due to the part which involves bending over... but anyway, I got one in Sept, and this time around, they asked when I had my last tetanus shot, and said I should get one again, plus a flu shot this year... so I'm all for medical stuff, and the nurse asked if I wanted them both in the same arm, I said no, one in each, thinking I don't mix drinks... and the next day, well later that night, I was using two hands to drink a refreshment...

2 hours ago, windashine said:

the nurse asked if I wanted them both in the same arm, I said no, one in each, thinking I don't mix drinks... and the next day, well later that night, I was using two hands to drink a refreshment...

Had me laughing a bit.  I was reading and thinking to myself...  "unless otherwise advised, always get things done to my left (sacrificial) arm.... and here you split the pain.

Nice!  (I think?)

• Like 1