The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Westcoastdrumz

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:22 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

I have a Wyred 4 Sound ST-1000 amp that I would be willing to trade if anyone has one and would be willing? 

Why can't you use that?  Specs are close to a K2.

Just now, Westcoastdrums said:

It isn't Bridgeable and it's worth much more than a K2. 

What are you going to pair it with?

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Pair of JBL SRX718S subs. 

OK, I'll show my ignorance.  If you're going to use a K2 on a pair of subs why do you need to bridge it?  One channel per sub should work or do you already have one K2 and are looking for another?

Np. Subs are 8 ohms.  500wpc isn't enough power for them, 2400 watts is. Hence the bridge.   I don't own a K2 and would like to after thinking it over for some time.   

3 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Np. Subs are 8 ohms.  500wpc isn't enough power for them, 2400 watts is. Hence the bridge.   I don't own a K2 and would like to after thinking it over for some time.   

Bridging the amp isn't going to give the amp any more power than running it 2 channel.

Just now, CECAA850 said:

Bridging the amp isn't going to give the amp any more power than running it 2 channel.

Uhhh. What?   500 WPC X 2 = 1000 watts

Bridged mono with subs wired together gives 4 ohm load and 2400 watts RMS.   Am I missing something? 

3 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Uhhh. What?   500 WPC X 2 = 1000 watts

Bridged mono with subs wired together gives 4 ohm load and 2400 watts RMS.   Am I missing something? 

You're comparing 8 Ohm specs to 2 Ohm specs.

Power output: 500 watts into 8 ohms, 800 watts into 4 ohms, 1,250 watts into 2 ohms (per channel, stereo mode); 1,600 watts into 8 ohms, 2,500 watts into 4 ohms (bridge-mono mode)

They give 2, 4 and 8 Ohm specs.  The amp can only put out what it can put out.

19 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Correct.   Running in stereo, each sub is 8 ohms.   Wiring subs together will yield 4 ohm load. 

You're presenting the amp with a different load but it still can't provide more current than it has.

I am very confused.   Here is the load, currently wired.   So you are saying if I feed that nominal load into an amp that is rated at 2400 watts RMS into 4 ohms bridged mono, it will get 1000 watts?   

Screenshot_20181203-094705_chomp SMS.jpg

For example, some of the Carver amps double their wattage when the load changes for example:  300 wpc at 8 ohms goes to 600 watts at 4 ohms then 1200 watts at 2 ohms and finally 2400 watts at one ohm.  Less resistance allows more current to exit the amp but doesn't make it more powerful.  It's like a garden hose at 200 psi will put out the same amount of water volume as a fire hose at 20 psi. 

I understand what you are saying, and I agree, to a point.   Where I disagree with you is that if I feed a four ohm load into an amplifier rated at 4 ohms bridged mono capability with a published power rating on paper, it WILL receive that power rating.   I am presenting a 4 ohm load and the subs will get 2400 watts RMS.   I don't think a disagreement can exist about that?  

I have two of these that I use to drive Maggies. The dampening factor on them is crazy. Great for subs.

You won’t be disappointed.

• Thanks 1