Dual RB-5s as a center speaker??

wuzzzer

Here's my thought:  RB-5s can be had pretty cheaply.  Since I'm currently using RB-5s as my fronts what would be the disadvantage to using two of them wired in series?  I would be placing them on their sides with their tweeters next to each other and my tv on top.  It would be a MTTM configuration.  Each tweeter diaphragm would be about 8 inches from each other.

My wife has always wanted a slightly higher tv stand and this way the tv will sit about 9" higher.

I know there's comb filtering and such that can happen when doing this but I know the closer the tweeters are placed to each other the better.  Obviously the timbre match would be perfect.

Also, I believe the horn on the RB-5 is a 90x60 design.  How will that affect the sound when placed horizontally?  Due to the mounting screws the horn can't be rotated like it can be on other models.

• Like 1

I would advise against it but if you do hook them up in series so the amplifier's channel sees it as a single speaker.  The ohm load will be higher so you will have to compensate with the preamp output level to match the mains.  It would be easier to just get the correct matching center and call it done. 

Place the on their sides, tweeter to tweeter and wire them in parallel, not series.  Unless your power amp is pushed too hard already, the extra current draw will not create enough heat to cause damage.  Either way, you will have to recalibrate the center channel level. 

• Like 1

Place the on their sides, tweeter to tweeter and wire them in parallel, not series.  Unless your power amp is pushed too hard already, the extra current draw will not create enough heat to cause damage.  Either way, you will have to recalibrate the center channel level. 

I do not agree. I strongly suggest wiring in series first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, JohnA said:

Why do you recommend parallel and not series?

5 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Why do you recommend parallel and not series?

Woofer damping.  The additional woofer adds impedance to the system and each will react like the power amp has very high output impedance.  The woofers will be poorly controlled by the amp and will tend to move too far and "ring" for too long giving a sloppy sounding bass note. 

12 minutes ago, JohnA said:

Woofer damping.  The additional woofer adds impedance to the system and each will react like the power amp has very high output impedance.  The woofers will be poorly controlled by the amp and will tend to move too far and "ring" for too long giving a sloppy sounding bass note. 

But if the additional woofer adds impedance to the system, series wiring will lessen it, right?  Two 8 ohm speakers in series = 16 ohm load, two 8 ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohm load (approximately).

I was not clear.  Wiring in series adds impedance and will make the woofers sound sloppier.  In parallel, each woofer sees the amp directly, with no series impedance to interfere.  How much sloppier?  You'll just have to see with your equipment. 

• Thanks 1

No! You're talking about a center channel. Start with series (won't damage anything) and can play with levels. You're not going to experience any sloppiness in anything in series. You will risk burning up your AVR playing around with dropping the load wired in parallel. Good luck! I'm out of this discussion. Happy experimenting and Happy Thanksgiving!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a dual center with KP-201 between a pair of KP-250 ii and I have zero issues with them set up like that. I have each powered by a separate amp channel so there is no worry about impedance dips. I use an Emotiva XLR signal splitter to run the dual signal from my preamp out and it does a fine job

Tim

7 minutes ago, teaman said:

Not to interfere with any possible deals between you guys...but have you ever thought of using the Heresy pair for fronts and then the RB-5 duals for center?

I have.  I'll try it out soon and see how it works.

• Like 1