What's on your Black Friday list for 2018?

wvu80

I might actually go BF shopping this year.  Last BF was the first time in over 20 years that I wasn't working retail so you can bet I didn't go anywhere near any stores that day!

This year I might go.  I live about half a mile from a Wal-Mart so I might check out the Blu-ray movies they have on sale.  I've been itching to upgrade to a 4k tv also but just haven't found the perfect one yet.

16 hours ago, sunburnwilly said:

Have you sat in one ? Look at the headrest and then the doorsill . 

Yes. Yes I have. It's about like sitting in the white car sitting beside it. I owned one of those years ago.

17 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

I might actually go BF shopping this year.  Last BF was the first time in over 20 years that I wasn't working retail so you can bet I didn't go anywhere near any stores that day!

This year I might go.  I live about half a mile from a Wal-Mart so I might check out the Blu-ray movies they have on sale.  I've been itching to upgrade to a 4k tv also but just haven't found the perfect one yet.

BF being boy friend? LOL, you're going boy friend shopping?

Mark

• Haha 2

TV buyers beware:

In their quest to attract shoppers, stores will partner with big-name manufacturers to create "derivative models" — stripped-down versions of pre-existing TVs. These TVs, made specifically for Black Friday, are often not as good as the model they're based on: The picture may be lesser quality, or the warranty may be altered. There could be some missing features or components. In short, that 42-inch Samsung TV you buy on Black Friday might not be as good as a 42-inch Samsung bought back in October.

One TV in particular stands out this year: Best Buy (NYSE: BBY) will sell a 55-inch LG LED for $499. It seems like a hot deal, but I would have to urge caution. LG isn't the most respected brand, but it's considered fairly reputable. That TV in particular, however, appears to be a derivative model. That specific model number, 55LN5100, isn't available at any other retailer — it seems to have been made by LG just for Best Buy, with the intention of attracting attention to the retailer.

Comparing its specifications to a similar LG set, the 55LN5200, a few things stand out. Most notably, Best Buy's model lacks smart TV features, and doesn't offer as many settings: It has just two different aspect ratios to choose from, while the non-Best Buy-specific version has six.

To be fair, non-discriminate buyers might not notice or care about these features, but consumers should at least be aware of what they're purchasing.

It's an older article, but worth the note in caution.  https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2013/11/27/dont-buy-a-tv-on-black-friday/3768903/

50 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

This article covers also covers "derivative TV's" and points out that they are new, stripped-down models that can't be evaluated or compared by reviews because they have no history.    https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/black-friday-brief-derivative-tvs-smoking-deal-or-sham-n464296

I don't remember what tv I was shopping for but that was true about 10 years ago when I was looking for a new one.  Found one at Best Buy that seemed like a great deal.  Turns out it was a BB only model with fewer options, as the article states.

1 minute ago, wuzzzer said:

I don't remember what tv I was shopping for but that was true about 10 years ago when I was looking for a new one.  Found one at Best Buy that seemed like a great deal.  Turns out it was a BB only model with fewer options, as the article states.

I bought a plasma at Wal-Mart on Black Friday about 7-8 years ago.  It turned out to be defective.  It would frequently make a very, very loud alarm sound that would get your heart rate up really fast.  

I went out this morning. Bought a mid-fill King size down comforter. $170 at Macy's. Hard price to beat anytime of the year.  

My old one has all these weird stains on it. Can't imagine where they came from.

Bought a Galaxy S6 yesterday for less than two bills on ebay cause I do not really need to have the latest and greatest.

Also bought last week a new Hana Shibata LOMC cart for 5 bills off agon which is way cheaper than you can get them on any black Friday deal.

I suppose now I'll have to stop getting presents for myself and start getting them for others. Oh well. (hmmm. Maybe I re-gift that old comforter)