Digital Audio Reclocker

MEH Synergy

Any of you guys using them?  Buddy of mine mentioned an expensive one of these to me and swears this makes all the difference in the world coming into a DAC when using USB.  For those of you asking, what the hell is that? Let me know your thoughts on em.   

https://www.amazon.com/Wyred-Sound-Recovery-USB-Reclocker/dp/B01CUTMKYM

Well, I have a few thoughts.  I've worked with countless circuits and applications over 30 years that deal with digital transport, and I can for sure tell you that jitter in delivery of any digital data is a real thing.  Some applications are not sensitive to it and some are.

My DAC has built-in reclocking and I've never really messed with disabling it.  I suppose I should do that to see if I can hear a difference.  That presupposes that the input stream has a ratty clock to begin with and correction is even necessary.  It would be nice if manufacturers would include an input edge to output edge difference indicator of some sort.  Without it, you can't really know how much if any correction was done.  Assuming, of course, that you can't immediately hear any difference in the audio realm that would make it obvious.

Jitter applied to the delivery of audio samples to some DACs would represent a variable time delay in the sample, causing added noise in the analog domain.  I say some because some DACs have built-in reclocking.

To summarize: I don't think reclocking can hurt anything, and it can help.

This is a good reference:  https://www.by-rutgers.nl/PDFiles/Audio Jitter.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Well, I have a few thoughts.  I've worked with countless circuits and applications over 30 years that deal with digital transport, and I can for sure tell you that jitter in delivery of any digital data is a real thing.

abso'damn'lutely...

Femto clocking and NO toslink FTW.

the resultant audible effects is granularity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alexander said:

Wouldn't this imply that your source equipment up stream is sub standard if you need one?

Just re-read my response, change the word "yours" with "ones" and "you" to "one might". It wasn't intended to be directed at you personally. Sorry if it came across as such.