Clean Up On Aisle 6 through 10? A small incident at Amazon.

Shiva

Interesting. Double rows are usually secured with cross braces. Something doesn't seem right here. I have seen much more violent collisions which just caused some bending. Our shelving was creamed about 10 times per day at my workplace and I spent hours straightening out the bends.

JJK

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Shiva said:

This was said to have occurred last year, but if your packages were late or came broken back then, perhaps this is why.  A fairly impressive chain of events over a small little bump.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6409331/Forklift-driver-causes-entire-warehouse-fall-like-dominoes-nudges-shelving-unit.html

I see a super sale Black Friday just around the corner from that warehouse.

On 11/20/2018 at 11:12 AM, JJkizak said:

Interesting. Double rows are usually secured with cross braces. Something doesn't seem right here. I have seen much more violent collisions which just caused some bending. Our shelving was creamed about 10 times per day at my workplace and I spent hours straightening out the bends.

JJK

Yeah, I am surprised they went down like that.  Surely, they could not have been cross-braced.

If you look closely, you see the center pile come to rest, him step away from the collapsing shelving he was under, the last of the boxes falling and coming to rest at his heels.  evading the pile. My take,  He lives to tell the tale. 

10 hours ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Yeah, I am surprised they went down like that.  Surely, they could not have been cross-braced.

Yes me too.  I have worked in a food distribution environment for 34 years and have seen many forklift drivers plow into racks and have never seen any of them crumble the way these racks did.  I think Amazon needs to reconsider their engineering firms moving forward.

Bill

I have seen other videos like that one

If they are similar to the shelve at my workplace, those will have a rating close to 9000 pounds per shelf. A few years ago, I had to retag all of our shelves because my old boss only guessed as to how much to rate their load capacity. Still the small shelves we store dynamometer fixtures and parts on are rated at 800 pounds per shelf, and they're 7 shelf units. I tell people that they need to imaging a Cadillac Escalade on each one.    

14 hours ago, Shiva said:

I just took a closer look at the vid.  If you look closely at the bottom right corner of the image, underneath the shelf on the right, you will see some movement and a guy escaping the fall at the last minute.  

*EDIT* After watching again I see at the very last couple seconds of the video it looks like another guy in a black shirt jumps out of the way on the right side right at the last second, he looks like he's probably ok.

I see three people in the video, forklift driver and two workers, one worker who appears to escape on the left side of the screen and one near the middle who appears to be overtaken by the pile and likely seriously hurt or possibly killed. Even after several seconds I don't see any movement from the forklift operator but he is somewhat protected in the frame of the forklift, would be interesting to find out what happened to the people.

… I saw that from Dave Barrys News Blog - Opps … nevertheless, aside from the hurt involved … o O ( imagine 2 sections of pallet rack, so that's 3 legs to hold what appear to be 5 section high, all the way down the aisle) ... each section hold two 2500 lb pallets max... so 5 high, with one on the floor, 4 in the air, maybe even 5 or 6 if it's really a 40' ceiling.. that 10000 lb's by theory at four loaded bays or 15,000 crazy pounds if 6 high - then remove one set of leg's and the two adjacent racks have 20,000 lbs each, (or more) then the domino effect displays what the overloaded pallet rack can do in a few seconds, with racks falling into each other, furthermore overloading the capacities... you know, a while back, there was a scratch and dent sale going on for speakers... come to think about it, everything has a dent on it, that I've seen lately....