Need mattress choice help

wvu80

2 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

You'll sleep like a log.

if i was so lucky ... sleeping has never been something that i’ve been good at. I wake up at least every hour ... fall back asleep quickly; but, can’t remain at sleep long. Heard a doctor say that something is wrong if you’re not getting at least four consecutive hours of uninterrupted sleep.  If i could sleep for four hours in a row, it would be the best night sleep of my adult life. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BigStewMan said:

if i was so lucky ... sleeping has never been something that i’ve been good at. I wake up at least every hour ... fall back asleep quickly; but, can’t remain at sleep long. Heard a doctor say that something is wrong if you’re not getting at least four consecutive hours of uninterrupted sleep.  If i could sleep for four hours in a row, it would be the best night sleep of my adult life. 

=== might it be visions of Del Taco dance in your head — 🌮

• Haha 1

• Moderators
6 hours ago, babadono said:

Keep flipping. Ain't that what ur suppozed to do anywho?

Yes, been doing that for a couple of years, and rotating it also. Just putting off buying a new one as long as possible. 

Had a waterbed for over 20 years and would go back to one in a second, but now I am afraid of a leak which we never had before. Spill a glass of water on the floor and it looks like alot, a couple hundred gallons would be ridiculous. I'm apparently become chicken as I got older ?

24 minutes ago, dtel said:

Yes, been doing that for a couple of years, and rotating it also. Just putting off buying a new one as long as possible. 

Had a waterbed for over 20 years and would go back to one in a second, but now I am afraid of a leak which we never had before. Spill a glass of water on the floor and it looks like alot, a couple hundred gallons would be ridiculous. I'm apparently become chicken as I got older ?

Hurricane Katrina Syndrome?

yeah, i’d go back to a waterbed too.  but, i just spent $2500 on a new bed, so i’d better keep it a while longer. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Broke my big toe walking on a waterbed...one would be nice to have again with a frame and pedestal just to be elevated off of the floor nowadays.. waveless that is. Sometimes though thinking would still use a heater with it, especially here in North Florida...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So Elden @dtel, do you miss those times with the waterbed when the mattress covering moves and your arm is lying right on the waterbed mattress directly and ends up getting all the warmth sucked out of it?  I was very, very much more wild back in the days that i had a waterbed and i’m surprised that i didn’t end up passed out directly on the exposed mattress. I never had a leak in mine either. But, those things sure are comfortable. 

Just now, billybob said:

Broke my big toe walking on a waterbed...one would be nice to have again with a frame and pedestal just to be elevated off of the floor nowadays.. waveless that is. Sometimes though thinking would still use a heater with it, especially here in North Florida...

i still had my waterbed when we had our first child. Infant was sleeping on the bed and i came into the room and plopped down on the NON-waveless waterbed ... poor kid went flying.  Thankfully, not hurt though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i still had my waterbed when we had our first child. Infant was sleeping on the bed and i came into the room and plopped down on the NON-waveless waterbed ... poor kid went flying.  Thankfully, not hurt though.

Yes, I could just about fly a girlfriend into the blue...glad the child was not hurt...lots of hijenks went on...lol

• Haha 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, billybob said:

Sometimes though thinking would still use a heater with it, especially here in North Florida...

A heater is needed no matter where you live, I remember thinking I didn't so I turned it off once. Took a while to cool off but when it did it felt cold I quickly turned it back on. It was slow to get back to temperature so we had to put a few blankets on it and it still felt cold after laying down all night. 

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

So Elden @dtel, do you miss those times with the waterbed when the mattress covering moves and your arm is lying right on the waterbed mattress directly and ends up getting all the warmth sucked out of it?

No, that did happen a few times and it's not good. You don't want it to warm but just being a few degrees below your body temp it will do just what you said if that pad and sheet get's moved. 

3 hours ago, BigStewMan said:

I definitely got in trouble by doing that, once, never made that mistake again. Wife had the kid on the bed and was playing with her from the side and i just jumped in the bed thinking she might just bounce up a little. Well she flew about 6' hit the wall and fell to the floor, I knew I screwed up instantly just by the look on my wifes face as she tried to catch her, then the look after as she picked her up, not even counting the kid flying. It happened only once.

We eventually switched to a mostly waveless mattress, I know If I tried laying on one now I would probably switch. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2018 at 11:49 PM, wvu80 said:

I swear this won't take 3 weeks to decide like the TV thread, but I need help.  I'm going to pick up a new mattress (only) , but how the heck do I decide?

I'll buy through Sams Club.  They have in-club and then a whole bunch on-line.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/queen-mattresses/1353.cp?clubId=6373&limit=48&offset=0&rootDimension=product_rating%3A4%2Bstars%2Band Sweetnight %2Babove&searchCategoryId=1353& Linenspa &selectedFilter=all&sortKey=p_sales_rank&sortOrder=1&viewMode=grid

In the Queen size mattress there are 500 choices.  When I go to the 4 star and above ratings there are 252.  There is memory foam, innerspring, hybrid,  After that there is Firm, Medium, Plush, Ultra Plush, Extra firm, adjustable.

Here are the 94 mattress only choices.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/queen-mattresses/1353.cp?clubId=6373&limit=48&offset=0&rootDimension=product_rating%3A4%2Bstars%2Band Classic Brands %2Babove&searchCategoryId=1353&selectedFilter=all& Lucid sortKey=p_sales_rank&sortOrder=1&viewMode=grid

How in the world do I figure out what I want?  I don't even know where to start.

Queen size mattresses are perfect for couple sleeping. I personally use queen size memory foam mattress which I bought from Amazon. It still great for comfort and support. There are many popular mattress brands such as Casper, Tuft & Needle, Zinus, Olee Sleep, Tulo, Signature Sleep, Serta, Saatva, Restonic, Tempurpedic, etc. Big companies produces special mattresses for back pain, side sleeping, back sleeping, orthopedic bed, adjustable bed, etc. You can choose according to  your choice and budget.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 10/16/2019 at 10:01 PM, johnduo32 said:

Queen size mattresses are perfect for couple sleeping. I personally use queen size memory foam mattress which I bought from Amazon. It still great for comfort and support. There are many popular mattress brands such as Casper, Tuft & Needle, Zinus, Olee Sleep, Tulo, Signature Sleep, Serta, Saatva, Restonic, Tempurpedic, etc. Big companies produces special mattresses for back pain, side sleeping, back sleeping, orthopedic bed, adjustable bed, etc. You can choose according to  your choice and budget.

Love our Zinus queen. Good price to.

On 8/27/2019 at 12:43 AM, dtel said:

A heater is needed no matter where you live, I remember thinking I didn't so I turned it off once. Took a while to cool off but when it did it felt cold I quickly turned it back on. It was slow to get back to temperature so we had to put a few blankets on it and it still felt cold after laying down all night. 

No, that did happen a few times and it's not good. You don't want it to warm but just being a few degrees below your body temp it will do just what you said if that pad and sheet get's moved. 

I definitely got in trouble by doing that, once, never made that mistake again. Wife had the kid on the bed and was playing with her from the side and i just jumped in the bed thinking she might just bounce up a little. Well she flew about 6' hit the wall and fell to the floor, I knew I screwed up instantly just by the look on my wifes face as she tried to catch her, then the look after as she picked her up, not even counting the kid flying. It happened only once.

We eventually switched to a mostly waveless mattress, I know If I tried laying on one now I would probably switch. 

1 hour ago, NickB33 said:

Good info. I'm in search of a new mattress now. Queen size seems to be a good option for me and my wife. But she suffers from back pain and I can't choose a proper mattress. Or should I pay attention to only one brand?

That member hasn't been on the forum since October 2019.

On 3/8/2022 at 3:34 AM, MirkosMangle said:

we love our saatva mattress

Those look really nice. but I sure wish I could lay on one before buying. If I could know in my own mind what firmness I really need from specific manufacturers it would make it sooooo much easier. Suspect that I would be happy with ONE of their mattresses but sure wish I had a chance to sample - maybe at some traveling home show or something......

• 3 weeks later...

Caveat emptor.  Let the buyer beware.  There is a difference from brand to brand as well as within brands.  Go ahead and test drive several, take them home, kick the tires (so to speak), and look for something your body needs help with (neck, back, side) etc.  You spend 1/3 of your life here so, make an informed decision.  As with contractors - take the lowest bid ($) and the highest bid ($) and toss them.  Happy hunting.