Need mattress choice help

wvu80

I swear this won't take 3 weeks to decide like the TV thread, but I need help.  I'm going to pick up a new mattress (only) , but how the heck do I decide?

I'll buy through Sams Club.  They have in-club and then a whole bunch on-line.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/queen-mattresses/1353.cp?clubId=6373&limit=48&offset=0&rootDimension=product_rating%3A4%2Bstars%2Band%2Babove&searchCategoryId=1353&selectedFilter=all&sortKey=p_sales_rank&sortOrder=1&viewMode=grid

In the Queen size mattress there are 500 choices.  When I go to the 4 star and above ratings there are 252.  There is memory foam, innerspring, hybrid,  After that there is Firm, Medium, Plush, Ultra Plush, Extra firm, adjustable.

Here are the 94 mattress only choices.

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/queen-mattresses/1353.cp?clubId=6373&limit=48&offset=0&rootDimension=product_rating%3A4%2Bstars%2Band%2Babove&searchCategoryId=1353&selectedFilter=all&sortKey=p_sales_rank&sortOrder=1&viewMode=grid

How in the world do I figure out what I want?  I don't even know where to start.

Sit n sleep claims to have a scientific in store measurement for what in theory should be neat for you.  If you are determined to only buy at Sam's claunch, perhaps that test could still be of use to you to point you in the right direction?  I bought from there twice.   Take the wife.  Aireloom 

• Thanks 1

I haven't purchased any budget mattresses.  I am willing to spend the coin on something you will keep presumably for 10 years that controls your overall health and well being.  Do research on sleep deprivation and that in and of itself should push you in the direction of buying a quality mattress.  I'm sure there will be those that claim BS to this idea here as wellthough.  My 2 cents.

• Thanks 1

I like a super firm mattress, due to back injuries in the past. But hey that's just me. Given that I can't fathom buying a mattress without trying it first in a showroom. Or I suppose a written statement that if I don't like it the seller comes and picks it up no questions asked or expense to me.

13 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Considering that you’re spending roughly 1/3 of your day on it, you should choose from those you can actually try.

I'm with you to a point, but how do I "try?"  I can't go into Sams Club and take a nap, or multiple naps for multiple mattresses.

I go back to my motorcycle days.  When you sit on a bike in the showroom the seat might feel plush and comfortable, but any bike rider with experience knows that after a few hours in the saddle that plush seat sinks to the frame rails and you end up with a sore butt and a short ride.  Any real rider wants a firm leather saddle but that knowledge only comes with experience.

The old mattress was comfortable but after a few years it collapsed in the middle so it has to go.  Do I want a euro-top, memory foam, other?  I might be able to tell you what feels good at the store, but how does it feel 4 hours into 8 hours of sleep?

The mattress industry isn't much different than the pillow industry.  The My Pillow has been very successful based on the hypothesis that the best sleep is motionless sleep.  This idea has been sold over and over, and My Pillow is just the latest to capitalize on it.

I'm an active sleeper and turn from side, to back, to side all through the night.  I've never felt sleep-deprived.  I've lived long enough to have had many different mattresses, from low-end mattresses up to Stearns & Foster.  I'm an active sleeper on all of them.

Selling better sleep is like selling snake oil.  It's a huge industry.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, wvu80 said:

I swear this won't take 3 weeks to decide like the TV thread

Then your not shopping right, take all the time you need unless your sleeping on the floor.

Been looking off and on, so many choices it's tough, most are expensive so I hate to just pick something and be sorry, looks like the best idea is to try one out in person. You don't really need to sleep on it to decide, after a few minutes you should have a rough idea, they usually don't want you to spend the night. :unsure2:

If I was not chicken I would get a waterbed, we had one for 25 years and loved it, no problems, now I am a little afraid of that much water inside if it were to leak, you think a cup of water on the floor is a mess try hundreds of gallons. 

Boy, you're stepping in it now. I'll give you my experience but like TV's everyone has their preference.

About a year ago I decided to buy a new mattress because I was having severe pain (cancer) in my right hip. Being a side sleeper I needed something soft. So I got out and visited the various rip-off mattress sellers. I couldn't tell anything about mattresses laying on one a minute or two in the stores. Also, prices were actually higher during the Black Friday- Christmas time frame. So I said to heck with it. Around March prices were lower and I ordered a mattress/box spring then. You do know that the same mattress from the same manufacturer will have different names at different stores don't you. They do that to stop cross-shopping. IOW, a Beautyrest Stiffy at store A will be named a Beautyrest Softy at store B. Same mattress.

During the December to March time frame I occasionally surfed around learning about mattresses. Deciding that I wasn't going to take a shot in the dark with a $2500 to $3000 mattress locally, I ended up buying online from US-Mattress. I ordered, they said delivery in 2 weeks and it was here in 2 weeks. All kinds of communication. The mattress/box spring was built in Georgia and delivered by 2 clean cut guys that seemed to actually care about my home. And yes the price was much lower (probably half) than all the local mattress/department stores. As good a transaction as I've ever experienced.

Check out the place I referenced above for information about construction and softness/support. They do have a return policy.

I ordered a Comfort Scale 7 mattress. At first it seemed too soft. It took about 6 months to get used to it, primarily because of hip pain. Now I sleep pretty well. The pillow top has several inches of softness before you feel the innerspring support. Good luck.

mattress.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Oh yeah, I paid $762 delivered in March of this year. Same mattress same box spring $1058 right now at same place. Also, believe it or not HD sells mattresses.

Ever wonder how a stand lone brick & mortar store in a prime location survives selling mattresses?

Keith

We have a Latex and Memory Foam combo mattress that is really too plush. Wife loves it, but she weighs half what I do and I felt like I was sleeping in a soup bowl and it was really hurting my back that would last all day.  I budgeted 1K and checked out all the direct mattress companies until I was loco from not being able to lay on them, but only read reviews.  Ended up going with the Nectar. It was cheap and delivered to my door in just a few days, it even came with two pillows that aren't too shabby either. 

I think it has a lifetime warranty and you can sleep on them for a full year and still send them back with 100% refund.   Im very happy with the mattress, but it is much firmer than my old. It took a week or so to adjust and the foam broke in some, but now its all I can sleep on and my back aches are totally gone.  I would have also liked to have tried the Purple brand mattress, but it didn't seem to fair well with people 200lbs or over.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

If I was not chicken I would get a waterbed, we had one for 25 years and loved it, no problems, now I am a little afraid of that much water inside if it were to leak, you think a cup of water on the floor is a mess try hundreds of gallons. 

I slept on a King water bed semi-wave for years and loved it.  The wife hated it.

The cats liked it too which why it sprung several leaks which I fixed but eventually the bed keep leaking so we ditched it for a regular bed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Westcoastdrums said:

@wvu80, next forum should be "looking for a new car, new help."    THAT would be an interesting thread.  Good luck on the mattress hunt.  

I researched SUV's for about 6 weeks.  We picked up a 2019 Suburu Forester about month ago, thank you very much.  :lol:

I wanted the Honda CRV but it has known problems with the 1500cc turbo charged engine.  The gas gets into the oil pan and the cabin fills with the smell of gasoline.  Not good.