what speaker wire is best?

klipguy

At the risk of starting another speaker wire feud...

Assumming the two wires are otherwise the same, solid core wire and stranded wire of the same gauge perform the same as far as sound goes. The advantage of stranded wire is that it flexes more easily and can stand more flexing before failing.

15 minutes and nobody has started fanning the fires yet... must be a slow day...

Hi there. If you poke about in the different forums here, you'll find that the "wire topic" is one of the most polarized, most hotly debated, and most opinionated of the things we talk about here. On one extreme lots of folks think the only concern you need have is that the wire is of sufficient gauge, depending upon length of run. At the other extreme are the real oddballs (uh, me... 4.gif ) who keep insisting that they can hear differences between different types (brands, construction, dielectric, jacket, termination, direction) and that matching cable to a system is something that can only be done by careful listening.

The simple question of "stranded vs solid core" leaves out a whole range of variables. It's kind of different to make any definitive observations or pronouncements when so many other things are so wide open.

However, never being one to miss an opportunity to spout off, solid core is better. Twisted pairs of solid core (Audioquest type 4 or type 6 is a good, fairly cheap example, check out the Audio Advisor's website at uh, somewhere around here...) are even more betterer.

*WHATEVER YOU DO* don't make a purchase committment until you've heard it at home in your own system. Preferably compared against something cheap, like zip cord from the hardware store. If you don't hear a difference, don't be surprized, you are in good company. If you hear a difference, don't be surprized, you are in good company. If you aren't sure whether you hear a difference, don't be surprized, you are in good company.

Ray

So many different types of metal used and designs, not to mention break in time. Its tough to decide what type of both speaker wire and interconnects to use. Who has the time and money to demo this stuff on a wide varity of gear? I think every system may even benifit from a different type and design depending on the room and the equipment used. But there again I havn't a/b'd enough to know. Like Ray said, its nice to hear anything you buy in your own room and have the option of returning it. Easier said than done as that may limit yor choices. I know myself its not easy. Especially for the price of some of these exotic cables.

THANKS GUYS, i went out and bought some Audioquest solid core wire 15 feet both sides.. for $300 , it was priced at $1000 , it was a demo wire i guess it was on a showroom powering some $24,000 b&w's , i havent hooked up the wire yet im still looking for a house to build my HT .. i have KSP 400 mains , RSW15 SUB, RC 7 CENTER , AND 2 sets of KSP S6 FOR REARS & EX

kg, are you talking speaker cable or rca terminated interconnects or both?

actually, if you have an a/v receiver w/ a sub out, you should use both. use speaker cable to the ksp speaker posts w/ the posts connected w/ the straps or wire, & run an interconnect from the sub out to the lfe in of the of the powered sub sections. i found the low bass/lfe more dynamic that way. use solid core, at least double shielded quality interconnects there.

I have recently replaced my Home Depot 12ga with a pair of Bi-Wired Audioquest Slate (12 feet), and even though it's not broken in yet, I believe it sounds better than it did before. To me, that's all that matters.

I will listen for a couple of weeks and post something at that time...

Mike

First Time - This is coming from a guy who is using $0.40/ft 12 gauge Carol wire from Home Depot. However, I believe that for the money you would spend on Monster you can find alternatives that are generally considered to be better. Check out www.audioadvisor.com as a place that has several brands and some good information on their site. You may not choose to buy there, but it's a starting point.

Certain AudioQuest wires/cables get high marks for their quality at very reasonable prices.

DD

----------------

On 10/18/2002 10:24:00 AM Mike Lindsey wrote:

I have recently replaced my Home Depot 12ga with a pair of Bi-Wired Audioquest Slate (12 feet), and even though it's not broken in yet, I believe it sounds better than it did before. To me, that's all that matters.

I will listen for a couple of weeks and post something at that time...

Mike

----------------

Mike,

I take it this was the Audioadvisor Slate clearance sale?

So how do you like it thus far? How is the quality of the cable? did you opt for spades or banana termination?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I want to hear from someone who has tried this on Klipsch as I still would like to purchase some soon.Would really like to now if it "darkens" the highs as some have said.

Jeff

Brennen strikes again. Hee-Hee.

Tom, I wish you would post more, as well as John Warren and Will Mc. You guys are the voices of reason on most things.

Now, decent cable is a good thing -- but remember you are not pushing music through the cables. All that is happening is an electrical field is being advanced through the conductor. The electrons aren't even "flowing" -- they are simply being "excited", and then bump into each other which causes the electrical current/field to "advance" down the cable.

Another thing of interest to me is that no matter what you got between the binding posts on either end -- both ends are still just gold plated metal with clip wire, lead/tin solder, caps and resistors with tin covered copper behind them. So, whatever gains a person thinks they are making with the hyper crystal aligned cryogenetically treated 99.9999999999999 copper (or silver) coated with the superalitve wonder dielectric -- these are lost as soon as the cable hits the binding posts and goes through the crossover components.

I think the variances in cable length and thickness (resistance), and capacitance, and other things "electrical" -- account for whatever slight differences we hear. At any rate -- I've never had a cable "drop my jaw".