Heresy Mid-Range distortion

BananaMoonpie

Just looking for advice and to see if anyone ever experienced an issue like this. a few years back I had this issue with a Heresy I K52H driver where it wold distort the sound  on certain high notes, most noticeable with anything with pianos or wind instruments. With some of the community members advice I managed to fix it with just a gasket replacement and also went ahead and swapped the diaphragms on the drivers. About a few months later the distortion returned. Again I replaced the gasket and everything was back to normal. I thought I had over tighten the driver to the horn and damaged the gasket and moved on but every few months to a year depending of use it happens again. Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks.

That is not what I would expect from bad gaskets. Plus they should go a decade.

Check your wiring for a bad connection. It made be when you swap gaskets you are getting a clean connection.

My first guess would be degraded capacitor in crossover. But changing the gasket should not fix the problem.

On 11/20/2018 at 8:23 PM, Panelhead said:

That is not what I would expect from bad gaskets. Plus they should go a decade.

Check your wiring for a bad connection. It made be when you swap gaskets you are getting a clean connection.

My first guess would be degraded capacitor in crossover. But changing the gasket should not fix the problem.

The wires where replaced when I swapped the diaphragms and the crossovers where replaced with new ones. I remember swapping the driver to the other speaker the first time and the same thing happened on the second speaker though I don't remember if I swapped the horn.

34 minutes ago, Schu said:

Degraded crossover capacitor can definetely do this, though I am not saying for sure that is your issue.

As I mentioned above  I replaced the crossovers for new ones I purchased from Crites speakers and experienced it with both.

13 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

From the symptoms, it is not a capacitor. Bad gasket or a problem with the diaphragm.

Gaskets where also purchased from Crites speakers, both horns are using the same gaskets and seem to fit good. It was my first time replacing a diaphragm so it's  possible I did something wrong though the issue also occurred with old and new. Also remember reusing the gasket inside the driver itself . I could give it a look and see if I can source gasket material of similar thickness to make a new one.

Not sure if the K52H has the same issue, but I had a problem tracking down a similar problem with the 55M. Turned out it was a loose back plate on the driver. Added a little silicone to hold it in place and the sound went away. The vibration would be allusive as you described, only odd times, would go away and come back etc. Others had this similar problem with the 55M, read about here on the forum and quickly found it to be the issue.

2 minutes ago, MookieStl said:

Not sure if the K52H has the same issue, but I had a problem tracking down a similar problem with the 55M. Turned out it was a loose back plate on the driver. Added a little silicone to hold it in place and the sound went away. The vibration would be allusive as you described, only odd times, would go away and come back etc.

12 hours ago, BananaMoonpie said:

Just looking for advice and to see if anyone ever experienced an issue like this. a few years back I had this issue with a Heresy I K52H driver where it wold distort the sound  on certain high notes, most noticeable with anything with pianos or wind instruments. With some of the community members advice I managed to fix it with just a gasket replacement and also went ahead and swamped the diaphragms on the drivers. About a few months later the distortion returned. Again I replaced the gasket and everything was back to normal. I thought I had over tighten the driver to the horn and damaged the gasket and moved on but every few months to a year depending of use it happens again. Any advice is appreciated. 

Thanks.

Had a distorted K55M in my Super Heresy. Dropped the tap on autoformer from 3 to 2.  Clean as a Bell now.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:01 AM, mopardave said:

Had a distorted K55M in my Super Heresy. Dropped the tap on autoformer from 3 to 2.  Clean as a Bell now.

Unfortunately I don' really have the technical skills to do that. 

Is there a different mid range driver that I could swap for the K52-H without having to mess with the Type E2 crossover? 

14 hours ago, Marvel said:

I am going to guess the connections on the drivers get some tarnish and need some deoxit.

Have you pulled the connex off the drivers and put them back on?

I haven't done so yet, I did took apart the driver and found a lot of residue in the magnet gap where the coil of the diaphragm sits. The gasket broke in half when I separated it. seems to be made of very thin cardboard, I'll have to make a new one.

2 hours ago, Panelhead said:

I would order another set and install once in. May be the gaskets are very old. Your gaskets seem to fail rapidly once installed. I thought they were good for 10 - 20 years.

I don't think is the gasket. Though  it did seem to fix it, both drivers are using the same gaskets, the faulty driver distorts in both speakers. The second driver is clean in both speakers.