Luxman just arrived/No Sound

Benjie

Man sorry about that.  Contact seller and see if he/she will call you so maybe you guys together could trouble shoot.  Hopefully just a simple switch to flip or connection.

Look to see if the jumpers from main in/preout are in place.

image.png.b12b9749f50135ed1d9086b8588667e9.png

Bill

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I would love to get my R-117 fixed, but wouldn't know where to send it. Right channel cuts out after about a half an hour of play, and the fuse holder got damaged while being stored downstairs. Really upset about the latter, I should have done a better job with storage.

So, how could the seller claim the unit worked before he sent it, if the jumpers weren't in place?

On 11/21/2018 at 5:22 PM, willland said:

A pair of RCA cables will suffice until you get some jumpers.

Bill

Thanks Bill got it working by using a pair of RCA cables for a temporary fix. 

Next problem left speaker cuts out and I hear static when moving volume knob. I looked up how to clean the volume pot and ordered a bottle of Deoxit D5. Seems like a simple fix. 

I’m actually taking it to a guy here in Little Rock Monday. Gonna have him take a look at it. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I think the Luxman R-117 is a truly great receiver and it sounds excellent with Klipsch. One potential problem to be on the lookout for: there is a relay inside that is part of the signal path. Over time the relay contacts can get contaminated and this makes the signal break-up intermittently. It's just a bad connection but it can actually sound like distortion, similar to what sometimes happens with a dirty pot.

The fix is supposedly pretty straightforward, although I personally have not done it. The cover is taken off the relay and then a sheet of paper wetted with a solvent is pulled back and forth between the contacts. Or some folks use a very fine abrasive paper, and then a solvent on regular paper. If all this fails, the next step would be to replace the relay itself. I hope you get it worked out!

• Like 2

Absolutely agree on the speaker relay. People switch the power off with the volume up and I've read that that carbons up the switch contacts. I just fixed the same issue on a big Onkyo Integra. I had to de-solder the relay to get to it, but I did modify the relay cover to make it easy to remove so next time I won't have to remove the relay to clean it. Also for Deang, you could try to adjust the idling current to solve your shutting down issue.