RP-500sa as front height

Haffster

Hi all - first time posting (but long time lurker!). 

I recently upgraded my avr to include atmos (5.1.2). Current speaker setup is:

Fronts: La Scalas

Center: Heresy II

Surrounds: RS 3s

Sub: ML 1000

Very happy with the 5.1 setup. Atmos setup, however has been a major pain. I recently got a pair of RP-500sa for that and using it as upfiring has generally been meh. Tried all kinds of placements, played with level, height in the amp, but not much joy. So I’m going to try and install them as front heights (which is the reason I got these, in case the upfiring didn’t work too well). Requires a bit of of work, since my front wall (behind the screen) isn’t flush all the way, so I was hoping the upfiring would work. 

Question: as front heights, should I set the switch to Atmos or Surround? I would think the latter, for a full range sound but wanted to get opinions/views from more knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks. 

Thanks wuzzzer - you may have misunderstood the question: this speaker has a crossover switch which enables its use as either surrounds or as Dolby Atmos enabled speakers.

(The owners manual is woefully bad, hence the post here).

As as I understand it, with the switch at Atmos, the crossover is set at high frequencies to enable bounce off the ceiling. This is fine in upfiring placement. However, if one installed it as front height, you’d probably want the full range - which is why I’m thinking the switch set to surround may work better. That’s what I wanted to confirm. 

• 5 weeks later...
Hi all - first time posting (but long time lurker!). 

I recently upgraded my avr to include atmos (5.1.2). Current speaker setup is:

Fronts: La Scalas
Center: Heresy II
Surrounds: RS 3s
Sub: ML 1000

Very happy with the 5.1 setup. Atmos setup, however has been a major pain. I recently got a pair of RP-500sa for that and using it as upfiring has generally been meh. Tried all kinds of placements, played with level, height in the amp, but not much joy. So I’m going to try and install them as front heights (which is the reason I got these, in case the upfiring didn’t work too well). Requires a bit of of work, since my front wall (behind the screen) isn’t flush all the way, so I was hoping the upfiring would work. 

Question: as front heights, should I set the switch to Atmos or Surround? I would think the latter, for a full range sound but wanted to get opinions/views from more knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks. 

Hi

How low does the RP-500SA get when set in "surround" crossover mode ? Able to crossover at 80Hz ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, lampsy86 said:

Hi

How low does the RP-500SA get when set in "surround" crossover mode ? Able to crossover at 80Hz ?

Good question.  Klipsch only states that they "conform to Dolby Atmos standards."

Good question.  Klipsch only states that they "conform to Dolby Atmos standards."
YES !! I wonder why is that ! I'm sure potential buyers & existing Klipsch HT owners who are looking to add surround heights would like to know exactly how low these 500SA's get , Klipsch could have just provided that in the specsheet .

• 1 year later...

Looking to get these speakers and do height channels also. Trading in my towers that have integrated height channels and just going with some rp6000f towers(after much debate between this and the 8000f. I got the rp500c for a good cyber Monday deal and from experience, it will match a 6.5" driver well. I'm not sure about the 8", so I'm not going to try and fix whats not broken. I've never needed more from previous 6.5" woofers as mains, and my x3700h probably isn't even coming close to full power, even bi-amped)

Would be nice if ANYONE knew what this meant. I mean people have only been asking the same question over and over for years! 

The first time I ran audyssey, it set my integrated height channels in R26FA's to 60hz. Not that I trust audyssey's crossovers. It would be nice to know the frequency response.

Because I don't know it, ill likely set them to 90, but we'll see. I'm running dual pb 1000s up to 200hz, so I can get away with crossovers in the 100-120 range if I want to be conservative. I have to say...adding the second sub really brings the system together. It no longer feels like the sub is a separate entity. It just sounds like all of my speakers are incredible full range speakers, if that makes sense. Well, I guess thats what the hype is about. 

Sorry to get off topic. This Dolby specification thing struck me as odd, but ill definitely be adding 4 RP500SA's as front and rear heights in the coming months, 2 at a time. I will need some tips on placement for the fronts with a 10 foot ceiling and MLP is about 13 feet from that wall. Ill find the perfect angle, im more concerned about the width. My room is small, so I don't have secondary listening positions beyond one "row". With the mains kicked out pretty wide and toed in, I was thinking somewhere symmetrical, just inside where the mains are. 

Suggestions on this? Do they have to be at least 6 feet apart? I was thinking about doing it just inside 6 feet. I know its recommended that mains are at least 6 feet apart, so I was wondering if that applied here also. Thanks.

Edited by CBlan1224

• 9 months later...

sorry to blow some dust of an old topic...

I recently upgraded my Jamo speaker set from the Studio line with the Klipsch Reference Premiere line, and now also threw a pair of front height speakers in the mix to get 7.2.2.

Klipsch could have done a better job at explaining how to properly set the RP-500SA as front heights. All they mention is using them as up-firing Atmos-enabled speakers or as side/rear surrounds.

I already did some research and the consensus seems to be to change the switch on the back to from 'Atmos' to 'Surr'. The default 'Atmos' setting supposedly enables a cross-over suited for bouncing sound off the ceiling. Changing it to 'Surr' would by-pass that.

What's not quite clear to me though is what the proper cross-over frequency should be. As my subs do the heavy lifting in the lower frequencies, I set the cross-over for the speakers to 150% of their rated specs, with a minimum of 80Hz. So 80Hz for the towers, and 90Hz for the rest.
The spec sheet for the RP-500SA's don't mention a frequency response though. Only 'Conforms to Dolby Atmos Specifications'. Although they also have a 5.25" driver, I imagine they'll not go as low as others in the RP line as their cabinet is smaller. So do I put their cross-over at 100Hz? 120Hz maybe? 150Hz - as mentioned when used as up-firing Atmos-enabled speakers - seems a bit too high for front heights.

My setup:

Receiver: Denon AVC-X3700H

Front: RP-8000F

Center: RP-504C

Surround: RP-502S

Rear: RP-500M

Front height: RP-500SA

Subs: 2x SVS SB2000