Thinking of adding subwoofer with La Scalas

mark heija

I've had my simple home system since High School (1976):

Klipsch La Scalas and a Sanusi 9090db, working perfectly all these years.

Recently retired after 43 years of teaching art at the Boys & Girls Club where I'll still be volunteering on our project to refurbish 4 La Scalas left on the sidewalk down the block!

(my work studio system: AR-11 and Sansui 9090 also still great)

I'm thinking of treating myself to a subwoofer upgrade.

I'm a bit apprehensive with the Sansui warning (see attached) about mixing impedances and don't even know if this applies in my case.

Also, don't even know where to start with regards to hook-up.

Listened to a SVS SB-2000 (about my price range) and would appreciate any advise.

Thanks1345408273_Sansui9090db.thumb.png.5290d10f8cf33899d3dc9986917dfc04.png

Use the "Pre Out/Main In" on the 9090b to connect the receiver to the subwoofer's Line Level inputs and outputs. This is a high impedance/signal level connection, not  a speaker level/low ohms connection, so there is no worry of the speaker impedance going too low. It's no different than connecting say, a tape recorder to the receiver. You can purchase RCA connection cables in virtually any length necessary to reach your subwoofer.

While I don't have an SVS sub, I lust to try one. They check all the boxes; low current draw in standby mode (I calculated an annual cost of 36 cents in Standby mode!), and it's sealed so it will have a tighter sound and better match music.

Report back with your experience if you make the leap!

Oh hecks yeah!    The Sansui not only has pre out and main in, but it has TWO pre outs!   Don't even use the speaker outs to power your sub at all.   Should be a great set up.     You have two choices, you can simply use your unused pre out to your sub and that's it. Or you can take the bridge connectors off your pre out/main in and send the pre out to your sub and then return a main in line FROM your sub to your Sansui.  

Plan A would be 2 cables, both a left and right. Plan B would be 4 cables. It would return a high pass filtered signal from the sub to your main two channel inputs on the Sansui.

From the SVS website data on the SB-2000:

Fixed 80 Hz 12 dB/octave high pass filter on line level outputs.

With LaScalas as your mains I would not think you have to worry too much about a high pass filtered signal going to them. Just let them naturally roll off at the low end and let the sub add the lower octaves.

This refurbishment project has been mainly a summertime (3 years now!) project with the kids at the Boys & Girls Club... slow going, but little by little we've made progress. 

The Klipsch Audio Community has been wonderful with tons of good advice. Now that I'm "retired" I'll have a bit more time to volunteer on this endeavor. 

Recently we've been patching and sanding the cabinets in preparation of adding 1/4" mdf to the exterior prior to walnut veneer.

I'm attaching some photos of the steps so far.  Already secured all new (or had refurbished by Crites) innards.

post-63196-0-16120000-1463707579.jpg

post-63196-0-31320000-1466281932.jpg

post-63196-0-33380000-1466397586.jpg

post-63196-0-57320000-1467739523.jpg

Project Update.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1