Thinking of adding subwoofer with La Scalas

mark heija

You have several connections possible, since the subwoofer is powered.  I would feed the subwoofer from the 2nd preamp outs *if* they output the same signal as the main pre outs.  Then put the sub in the approx center of the wall between your La Scalas and set the crossover to about 60 Hz.  adjust the level with a sound meter and ear and the crossover point by  ear. 

I predict you will want 2 or more of those. 

If you can route the pre amp signal to the SVS then back to the receiver it should filter out whatever bass that the sub is playing.  This will help the receiver in that it isn't amplifying the entire signal, leaving more power for it to amplify 80Hz (or wherever you set the crossover) and above.

We had a close call last night! Went online yesterday morning and read to expect delivery of the SVS Subwoofer by "end of day" so my wife and I made sure one of us was around all day. We could see at the tracking service "delivery pending".  Checked periodically during the day and one more online check just before going to bed (11:30pm) and saw package "Delivered"!  Went right downstairs and there sitting on the sidewalk outside of the gate of our apartment building was the SB-2000 box, large subwoofer graphics and all! I know for sure this box would not have been here this morning if left out overnight. I filed a complaint with the delivery company. They said the package had been signed for (some jumbled letters of my last name) and that "safe" placement was at the discretion of the driver!? Well, at least it did arrive before the end of the day.

Also, sorry to say, ordered 12m RCA cables and 1m cables arrived... so set-up will have to wait a few days. 

22 hours ago, mark heija said:

Also, sorry to say, ordered 12m RCA cables and 1m cables arrived... so set-up will have to wait a few days. 

Just pop over to Radio Shack for RCA cables . . . oh I forgot , RS is no longer.  What about Target, Best Buy, or the like for a quick cheap cable fix while you’re waiting?

On 11/30/2018 at 9:32 AM, mark heija said:

Do you need a 12 meter cable? 40’ is a long run for a single ended analog cable. 

I build my own. For a 40’ run of single ended either a instrument (guitar) cable or mic cable would be perfect. For a RCA to RCA I use an Eichmann connector. Think the original are better than KLE. But for subwoofer duty any decent plug is fine.

Amazon can fix you up. But Guitar Center will have the the instrument cable locally. May have 1/4” TS connectors instead of RCA.

One item on matching the sub to the La Scala. In my system the efficiency of the La Scala and amplifier is higher than the active sub. The software crossover I use allows padding down the main speakers. When I was using a pair of 86 dB efficient speakers the amplifier and sub could have the same level in the crossover with the sub gain turned down a little. Now the sub is +9 dB with respect to mains in the crossover settings and the sub analog gain is maxed.

First, thanks to all the folks who sent me suggestions for possible DIY subwoofer designs. Many seem quite doable with our wood shop and know-how. I'm planning to volunteer to help the kids wrap up the LaScala projects starting in February (finish by summer?) and start the subwoofer then. Will keep you posted.

Second, this last post has me wondering. Will there be a problem with the length of the cable (12m) I need to connect the subwoofer? I ordered the SVS brand SoundPath. The size of the room and the door way I need to run up and over don't leave me any other options.

A 12 meter single ended analog cable can be an issue. 

Since it is a subwoofer not as much. Something like a guitar cable may be perfect. Usually large conductor and braided shielding. 

My sub has XLR connections. Balanced cabling is better for long runs. Does not look like that is an option with the 9090. 

Well, stayed on top of the delivery service used by the SVS folks (starts with F and ends with X) and sure enough our particular driver has some aversion to ringing door bells.

Fortunately, I found my box with the cables for the SB-2000 on the sidewalk, again! Perhaps these drivers have more than they can handle this time of year? Anyway, the good news is the subwoofer integrated seamlessly into my system... kicking myself for not adding one years ago. Hearing all my music with new ears. So much so, I have my turntable (Pioneer PL-630) in the shop (actually a local working out of his apartment and just on turntables) for repair right now. Thanks you all for the great SVS recommendation and support with hook-up (just went with the simple two cables main out). 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hey Folks,

we finally finished the refurbishing of the four LaScalas at the Boys & Girls Club.

I've attached a picture of the pair we're selling.

Thinking I may post the photos and story of the whole process... it only took three years!

Thanks for the great advice during this journey,

-MarkLaScalas_Walnut.thumb.jpg.32fe029434e04fc1c58fe5d692c37685.jpg

• Like 6

On 6/5/2019 at 9:25 PM, mark heija said:

Thinking I may post the photos and story of the whole process... it only took three years!

Please do so.  They look excellent.  You and the young people should be proud.

• Like 1

Am I reading this right. You got a pair of speakers and refurbished them as a project with the boys and girls club? Now  you are selling a pair?! In the photo?!  So I could buy them at it’s like I’d be donating to a great cause.  Not getting another pair of speakers I don’t need... :) 

I'm in SF. 

• Haha 2

The pair pictured have been spoken for and the price covered our expenses. The pair for the Clubhouse is more kid-proof: grills attached with screws, plastic edge protectors and a good quality wall paint to match the newly remodeled games room (SF Giant Pablo Sandoval's Foundation supported the effort and he came to meet the kids at the Grand Re-opening). The speakers sound great as a public address system and the movies the members watch have that full theater quality sound... the La Scalas fill this large room beautifully!

ClubKlipsch.jpg

ClubKlipsch2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3