Heil Air motion transformer for Cornwalls

jwgorman

1 hour ago, jwgorman said:

Chris was suggesting the Cornwall as a two way, bypassing the horns and changing crossover points. Just FYI. 

Yes, I failed to make that point.  The Heil AMTs are good down to 800 Hz, and the stock Cornwall I's (those made before 1986) cross over at 600 Hz, so it's a no-brainer to go two way if using a DSP crossover--which is what I did.  The AMTs nominally have 90 degrees of horizontal coverage--which I assume is widening at the bottom end of its response, while a 15" (nominal) woofer will also have roughly 90-110 degrees of coverage at 800 Hz, so the woofer and the AMT matches horizontal coverage at 800 Hz.

So I bypassed the internal Type B crossover and hooked the woofer to the cabinet terminal block, and the other amplifier channel to the AMT-1 using an EV Dx38 crossover.  Here's a plot of its SPL and phase vs. frequency.  Pay attention to the scales of the curves (2 dB for SPL curve divisions, 45 degrees per division for phase)--the phase portion is spectacular, IME:

1021348245_BiampedCornwallbassbinwithAMT-1SPLphase.thumb.jpg.3705edea08632f66f78ec248ca94dd24.jpg

More importantly, here's an impulse spectrogram of the same thing.  You can see the backwave pulse of the AMT-1 reflecting off the wall and returning at about 4 milliseconds (above 800 Hz).  Again, pay attention to the horizontal scale of the peak energy time--1/2 millisecond divisions.  This is pretty spectacular in comparison to a stock Cornwall spectrogram--whose impulse spectrogram you really don't want to see:

1523257013_BiampedCornwallbassbinwithAMT-1ImpulseSpectrogram.thumb.jpg.37ab19218aa8e6a06c41d599fb569224.jpg

I'm listening to these surround Cornwall/AMTs right now playing a 5.1 Yellowjackets New Morning Blu-Ray.  It's pretty spectacular.  It's also possible to move the AMT-1 around to put the HF energy where you want it in-room. As surround loudspeakers in a 5.1--this is something that I've wanted for a long time.

Chris

Here's the step response(!) where you can also see the returning backwave at 4ms:

824141525_BiampedCornwallbassbinwithAMT-1stepresponse.thumb.jpg.466fd65af3102dba6a9cfbf0b9316e3c.jpg

and the harmonic distortion plot vs. frequency:

1217986735_BiampedCornwallbassbinwithAMT-1harmonicdistortion.thumb.jpg.5fb15cc16937e7ad798ee2a3bbbc4cfa.jpg

Those are some pretty good looking plots.

Chris

I guess I can throw in group delay and a waterfall for that attaboy:

736934042_BiampedCornwallbassbinwithAMT-1GroupDelay.thumb.jpg.b2ead3a3b5f8d2ef78d1192a7dea290a.jpg

1679559720_BiampedCornwallbassbinwithAMT-1Waterfall.thumb.jpg.223342724cda24b386da0d9b4150edb4.jpg

Folks, these are pretty spectacular performance figures--something that you'd have trouble reproducing with just about anything else that's hybrid horn loaded-direct radiator (as the AMT+Cornwall woofer is).  I'd call it a serious upgrade. 

But I really don't recommend doing this unless you've got a DSP crossover, because the raw response was a little more ragged than I'd like to see, and the combination needs about 1.5 ms delay on the HF channel (assuming Bessel 12 dB/octave crossover filters are used) to achieve the above numbers. 

(There's an EV DC-One available on the garage sale for $350, and you can also look at a miniDSP 2x4 HD for $205 to do the same thing.  All you need is 4 channels of amplification to complete the setup.)

Chris

• Like 1

Yes, I was going to do the Heresies in the garage, but I got lazy and did the Cornwall surrounds in the main rig so I didn't have to completely swap out the electronics in the garage, too.  Glad I did...I probably wouldn't have figured out how good the AMTs really are. 

Perhaps there's another pair of AMTs for the garage in the future.  I find it's better to employ the surplus electronics than to just let it sit around gathering dust. I've got a Yamaha SP2060 and an old AVR in storage that I can use to bi-amp the Heresy woofers and a future pair of AMTs.

Chris

1 minute ago, Chris A said:

Yes, I was going to do the Heresies in the garage, but I got lazy and did the Cornwall surrounds in the main rig so I didn't have to completely swap out the electronics in the garage, too.  Glad I did...I probably wouldn't have figured out how good the AMTs really are. 

Perhaps there's another pair of AMTs for the garage in the future.

Chris

I have a pair already mounted on the AMT-1A's, which sound great. They are the speakers that got me thinking of dipoles and Carver Amazing Platinums, once I experienced the 3D effect of dipoles. I also two extra pair of the Big AMT's, which I got used (they never go bad) and a spare set of diaphragms. Thanks for sharing you positive experience with those, they are truly a steal new, since I paid double that for used ones.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:25 PM, Chris A said:

I found that I needed about 1.5 ms of delay using Bessel 12 dB/octave filters if you reference the AMTs flush to the front of the Cornwall cabinet.

Subtract 73.6 microseconds/inch from that 1.3-1.5 millisecond figure that you move it back from the front surface of the Cornwall cabinet top. 

Chris

That's a monopole mounting for the tweeter.   You'll lose about 2.7-3 dB of SPL sensitivity from that arrangement.  I would guess that the sensitivity of the AMT-1 tweeter is something like 93 100 dB/2.83V input....depending on how you measure the sensitivity of a dipole radiator. 

9659856673_8a5e7bb5b0_b.jpg

You don't have to use that backwave--as you see in the 10b pictures--but it would be a nice addition to a surround loudspeaker to direct that energy upwards from the attached wall surface.  You could also direct the backwave to the sides to form a pseudo-dipole or -bipole surround (depending on frequency and rectification of the wall surface on the backwave), but diminishing returns will soon overtake that kind of approach.

Chris

2 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Just trying to be funny. I have more speakers and parts than a normal person should own.

Tell me about it.  I decided to pull the trigger a few hours ago.  Not sure why because I have a pair of Aurum Cantus G1 ribbons sitting in a box and other high end drivers laying around.  The Heil's always had an allure since I heard the AMT-1s back in the mid 70's.  For the price, a no brainer (if you don't have piles of stuff) :blush:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Sadly, can't leave well enough alone.  Just as jwgorman gets convinced to go two way.

Well.  Maybe. I’m going to go passive. And, I already have the mids. Dang it. I’m trying to model bessel 2nd orders at 400 and 1500 and compare them to 300 and 1200. I mean, on paper, it looks good. 

But my cabinet maker can’t get to my project for another month. So I have plenty of sleepless nights ahead. :)

Here are the critical PEQs that I used to interface the AMT-1 to the Cornwall bass bin.  (I used nine PEQs total to flatten the Cornwall/AMT-1 response, six of which went to the bass bin.)

<snip>

You could do this in a player, etc., if you had parametric EQ filters available to you, but you'd still have to move the AMT-1 back about 17.7 inches from the front edge of the Cornwall cabinet to be time-aligned using that lower order crossover filter (Bessel 12 dB/oct).  I don't know what the Klipsch "B" crossover low pass filter is using on the bass bin, but I assume it's a second order filter of the Butterworth type. Nope, the type B is first order...

CornwallTypeB.jpg

Chris

4 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Here are the critical PEQs that I used to interface the AMT-1 to the Cornwall bass bin.  (I used nine PEQs total to flatten the Cornwall/AMT-1 response, six of which went to the bass bin.)

1840705859_CornwallAMT-1threePEQscreenshot.thumb.JPG.9f3a4c0bb2ed0d06472e240df1408296.JPG

You could do this in a player, etc., if you had parametric EQ filters available to you, but you'd still have to move the AMT-1 back about 17.7 inches from the front edge of the Cornwall cabinet to be time-aligned using that lower order crossover filter (Bessel 12 dB/oct).  I don't know what the Klipsch "B" crossover low pass filter is using on the bass bin, but I assume it's a second order filter of the Butterworth type.

Chris

Am I reading that correctly?  You had to add 7db on the lower end of the heil but dropping the output around crossover of ~900?  Would inversing the polarity work to pick up some of the distance change?