Juicy Music pCats $2300

davis419b

8 minutes ago, finallygotmyheresies said:

I do not believe he was trying to imply that you had.

Nice amps, I'm sure they sound wonderful. What preamp did you use with them?

I know exactly what he was talking about. My point is I never change any of the tubes out in all my tube amps.

16 hours ago, Marvel said:

These may have been the pinnacle of Mark's creations. Would have loved to have heard a pair of them, they are beautiful amps.

You just might be right!  These amps don't get mentioned much anymore.  I think it is primarily because there were very few made.  But make no mistake, these are some of the best amplifiers out there.  I have a pair and they may be the best sounding amps I've ever owned.  I've actually thought to myself in the past, if my house caught on fire, what would be the list of things I'd try to take with me and these amps made that short list.  However, I've had to rethink that because they are not easily carried and are not close to an exit door.

I can't remember the exact power output, but it is either 20 or 25 WPC -- way more than enough power to run our efficient speakers.  pCAT stands for Pure Class-A Triode.  When Mark designed these amps, the goal was to have a mid-range that would match SET but with a bit more power. Having owned SET amps, I think his goal was met.  I recall several years ago several forum members gathered somewhere in the Bay Area to compare amplifiers.  The consensus seemed to be that the best sounding amps were a close call between the pCATs and Welborne Labs Moondogs (3.5 wpc SET).  Those results should be posted somewhere on this forum.

I would be buying these amps if I didn't already have a pair and let me say that I haven't completely ruled that out but I do need to resist the temptation.  Whoever buys these amps is going to be very, very happy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2018 at 2:08 PM, JMON said:

The consensus seemed to be that the best sounding amps were a close call between the pCATs and Welborne Labs Moondogs (3.5 wpc SET).  Those results should be posted somewhere on this forum. 

Since I own a pair of the Moondogs (plus a JMA Merlin), I feel a bit better now... I would like to get in touch with Mark, but haven't been able to locate him.

Bruce