Seatbelts!

Veaux

Veaux, I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Good friend was in an accident this past Tuesday. A young man ran a light and my friend hit the passenger side doing 40. Air bags deployed, had his seatbelt on... still hurting all over. Had a mint car, 2003 with only 50k miles on it. The insurance company will total it and the BB value isn't very high. No way will he be able to replace the car for what he will get. The good news is the other driver is also ok, but I imagine he is hurting a lot too.

• Thanks 1

Growing up my mother would refuse to leave the driveway until all of us kids had our seatbelts on, it was do annoying at the time but it instilled in me the habit of always buckling up. I'm so grateful for that, I do the same thing now with my daughter. If you have kids I hope you do the same, seeing my dead friends parents at the funeral yesterday was heart wrecking. No parent should ever have to bury their child, especially when it's something that was preventable. If you have kids always make them buckle up, even if you're in a rush it only takes two seconds and nothing is worth not being slightly late because you were in such a hurry that you had to put your loved ones at risk. Learning to bicycle in the crazy Houston streets I've learned that you are only as safe as the very worst driver you're sharing the road with. Be safe this holiday season y'all!

💓

-Veaux

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I NEVER drive without my seatbelt on, it is ingrained to say the least. I was in a hit and run accident where a jerk jumped my green light. I went from 40mph to zero in about 10 feet. I hit him so hard I broke my seat belt, even with it on I had back surgery. Without it I would have been spitting teeth and who knows what else. the annoying part was I veered left to get as much of my car between me and him and slammed him right between his doors, he was able to limp away leaving me for dead. His car looked like a dolphin slowly crawling down the block. Some consolation with the fact that a man walking down the block came up to me and said one of the kids got out of the car and was bleeding like a stuck pig. I showed the cops the blood trail leading into the house but they said they could not prove he was in the car and that the car was called in as stolen by now.

Sorry for the rant, condolonces on the loss of your friend. Wear you seatbelts.

• Thanks 1

Everyone should have a two channel dash cam in their car these days. It's a couple hundred bucks and when it comes down to a "He said, she said, No I didn't, yes you did" scenario it can really save your *** with a stubborn insurance company that doesn't want to pay out.

20 hours ago, Veaux said:

Everyone should have a two channel dash cam in their car these days. It's a couple hundred bucks and when it comes down to a "He said, she said, No I didn't, yes you did" scenario it can really save your *** with a stubborn insurance company that doesn't want to pay out.

I would imagine these will be standard issues on cars in the near future. For me I was lucky in that several people who were crossing with the light were nice enough to stick around and talk to the police for me. The funny part was when the accident started I was in one police precinct and when I came to rest I was in another. The first cops who arrived didn't want to do the paper work, "Hey your in the 103rd precinct now."

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, RT FAN said:

I would imagine these will be standard issues on cars in the near future. For me I was lucky in that several people who were crossing with the light were nice enough to stick around and talk to the police for me. The funny part was when the accident started I was in one police precinct and when I came to rest I was in another. The first cops who arrived didn't want to do the paper work, "Hey your in the 103rd precinct now."

Sounds like a classic example of protecting and serving.

8 minutes ago, JL Sargent said:

He says seat belts kill people all the time and it's unreal the  body damage they can cause.

You can't cheat physics.  If you're restrained by a belt and the vehicle stops abruptly enough the belt will damage your body due to the inertia of your body against the stationary belt.  If you weren'r wearing the belt you'd be slammed against the dash or steering wheel minimally or worse, ejected through the windshield.

I've been in 5 vehicles that were totaled, 3 had air bags (none were my fault).  The last wreck I t-boned a vehicle that had pulled out in front of me.  I was probably slowed to 55 when impact occurred.  I walked away without a scratch but did go to the hospital for x-rays as I thought the seatbelt may have cracked my sternum.  It didn't but I was sore for several weeks and my sternum would pop from time to time.  Without the seat belts there's no doubt I'd be either dead or mangled.

• Like 1