Thanks Verizon........you jerks!

Mighty Favog

So, my Samsung Galaxy S6 was dropped on the bathroom floor for the last time. It still turns on but the screen is delaminating and partially black. Over a couple of days it's completely black. I was able to connect it to my laptop and get my music, contacts (the biggest thing) and pictures off of it. Good so far. My contacts were uploaded to my Google account so that was safe anyway. A couple of days later I'm trying to download the call log. No dice. Laptop says the phone is now empty of files and any transfer software I try says the phone needs to be unlocked with the password. BUT!!! With no screen that can't be done. Or the software wants $40 for a year's usage.

But getting back to the subject at hand; so, I go to the Verizon store to get a new phone. The Samsung Galaxie S9, soon to be outdated by the S10. Not wanting to add to the monthly bill I paid for the whole phone outright. $800 (MSRP) since I didn't have a working trade in. But here's where the carrier is a real buthead.... A few days later there were Black Friday ads ($400 off) and later $200 off with no trade-in. And even though I asked for the sale price retroactively (and initially they said they would) NONE OF THAT MATTERED!!! Because I paid for the phone in full right there when I picked it up and DIDN'T pay the monthly payment. Manager of the store is a real j/a anyway.

Now, my S6 has been paid off for over a year. I seem to remember that when it IS paid off, you could get your next upgraded phone for whatever the sale price would be. But apparently that doesn't happen anymore!!

Moral: Never buy your phone outright.

19 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

Moral: Never buy your phone outright.

Maybe buy your phone outright from somebody else. I bought my last one (S7) right here on the Klipsch forum. I've been extremely happy with it and ATT gets NADA from that deal. I also bought phones outright from Newegg for family members  last black Friday and they've been great too.  

• Moderators

They're going to get you one way or another, with all the money they spend on advertising you would think they would treat you OK in person, but no.

They act like they're doing you a favor, glad I don't need a phone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Verizon...  HA!  

1. Military discount of 15% monthly BUT every year you had to send a copy of your DD214 to them.  Enough vets like me raised heck so they then wanted a picture of your Honorable Discharge attached.  (I've got the double crypto super top secret Dick Tracy secret decoder ring clearance so no one see's my DD214.)  Last year I went into their store and asked about it and got a manager who happily just verified my service w/my retired ID card.  Simple and quick...  Perfect.  This year when I asked about it at the same store a guy told me he didn't know how to do it or submit the paperwork.  Told me last year a manager got fired for using someone's ID card.  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  Pathetic!  

2.  I've also read on a credible site like AARP you can get a 10% discount if you're 62 or over.

3. The REAL funny thing about the military deal???  You have to JOIN a site which just ASKS you (under penalty of death by hanging) if you swear you are retired military.  Cool, np but THEN AFTER you've filled out the questions you have to pay $50 a year to join the Vetrans Advantage group.  Seriously???  If you do the math though you do save money but gimme a darn break...

There ya go...  2 options for ya to save a lil bit but good luck finding out more info...  

Verizon Wireless Return/Exchange Procedure

If you purchased your merchandise from a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, please follow the instructions below to process your return:

• Customers who purchased their merchandise at a Verizon Wireless Communications Store should return/exchange their merchandise at a Verizon Wireless Communications Store only.
  • A $50 restocking fee applies to all wireless device returns and all wireless exchanges (excluding Hawaii).
  • Pack the merchandise (including phone, charger, battery, instructions, etc.) in its ORIGINAL box.
  • All merchandise must be in likenew condition. The original customer receipt must accompany all returns. Please retain a copy of the receipt for your records.
  • Return the merchandise to any Verizon Wireless Communications Store.
  • Returning your merchandise does not automatically terminate your service. Cancellation of service can only be done at the request of the customer.

It would have been worth the $50 restocking fee to save the $400 on Black Friday.

All the major carriers now only give you the sale savings as a monthly credit on a 24 month 0%APR loan. It is basically the same as singing a 2 year contract in years past.

• Like 1

These stories happen regularly, and it's just your turn, unfortunately.  I've been driven crazy by a few myself.  My suggestion is to avoid signing up on any contract when you can.  The contract is only there to destroy your credit when you terminate early because of their breach.  Instead, buy a cheap phone for cash and pay for service under a month-to-month plan.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

These stories happen regularly, and it's just your turn, unfortunately.  I've been driven crazy by a few myself.  My suggestion is to avoid signing up on any contract when you can.  The contract is only there to destroy your credit when you terminate early because of their breach.  Instead, buy a cheap phone for cash and pay for service under a month-to-month plan.

That's what my wife and I do.  Best way to do it.