Frequency Response question

Seanmiz

I noticed that many cheaper subs list 200hz or even 250hz as maximum frequency responses (such as the sub I am upgrading from), and yet most of the  <$1,000 Klipsch subs seem to be at 120-125hz max. 

I recently purchased an R-120SW subwoofer and I am trying to make sure I have the crossover settings correct. I am wondering how the crossover settings on the sub go up to 160hz when the response maxes out at 120hz? I also have some tiny atmos/height speakers that have a minimum at 180hz, does that mean I would have a deadzone between 120hz and 180hz with this sub and those speakers?

Thanks for any clarification!

Edited by Seanmiz

The response doesn't max out at 120Hz if the crossover can be set up to 160.  Klipsch usually states the +- 3dB specs of their speakers including subs.  That means above 120Hz the frequency response won't be as flat as it is below it.

And yes, you'll have a small frequency gap in sound.  Atmos speakers aren't designed to be used as main speakers so I'd suggest getting something different like a bookshelf speaker.  You'll usually have a much better frequency response that will mate up to your subwoofer a lot better.