Eye Opening Experience

Tarheel TJ

12 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

84573A51-3CDA-4D2F-B602-6E09B45C90DC.thumb.png.70a2fceb645c5187f48bb5e9fa5ddded.png

39A158D1-FA9A-4366-AD58-8318C64BC5AB.thumb.png.005cad1c35169086629ba746deab2783.png

7FE79A84-AFA1-4671-B960-583431C36CB2.thumb.jpeg.40bd2e7ec66890d7dd7f7ff88ae58d1c.jpeg

When matched with a quality amplifier the LS50 has amazing realistic clarity and dynamic vocals.

Excellent attention to engineering and physcoacoustics research taken into account.  See pdf link

https://www.kefdirect.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/documents/ls50/ls50_white_paper.pdf

miketn 🙂

Klipsch's lead acoustic engineer in Indy worked at KEF right out of college in England, around 2000. He says he learned a lot there, and they had quite a few interesting ideas. He wanted to move to the USA, and landed a job at Klipsch, very interesting guy.

• Like 1

Speaking of the quality of Kef, these were my Old Man's bedroom speakers growing up. The Kef 105 ll's.  15" bass drivers in a sealed cabinet, the mids and highs in their own unit that swiveled, so you just towed in that for the center image, while the speaker faced straight ahead, the whole thing on wheels as well, for easy placement. That speaker was impressive back in the day. 

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/d/kef-reference-series-model/6756821966.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shiva said:

Speaking of the quality of Kef, these were my Old Man's bedroom speakers growing up. The Kef 105 ll's.  15" bass drivers in a sealed cabinet, the mids and highs in their own unit that swiveled, so you just towed in that for the center image, while the speaker faced straight ahead, the whole thing on wheels as well, for easy placement. That speaker was impressive back in the day. 

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/d/kef-reference-series-model/6756821966.html

I'm sure those had an influence on Dave Wilson for his Watt Puppies and other types.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

My "Eye Opening Experience" was listening to all the fine speakers and amps at CES 2018 and then hearing the Klipschorns. They were the most impressive sounding speakers at the show. Just ask @Chief bonehead, he was there making sure they were performing as they should.

767690216_IMG_1185-Copy.JPG.56cdbfe078708baed2ed468556be3b30.JPG

Double WOW on the looks of the lumber too. Gorgeous, and part of the reason they are the ONLY speaker to have lasted over 70 years with very few modifications. I had a pair for over half my life until I could afford Klipshorn Jubilees!

• Like 1

On 12/1/2018 at 9:51 AM, Westcoastdrums said:

Remind me of big old Infinities 

Exactly what I was thinking. 

It's difficult to find off the shelf drivers that are Planar Magnetics and go that low. He's crossing at 250 Hz. and has to pad down the woofers because they are way more efficient than the Planar, which is like 86 db/watt........BUT if only falls off 3 db per doubling of distance, unlike a point source, which is 6 db falloff per doubling. When you find them, they are expensive. My friend paid $1,000 each for the tall skinnies by Bohlender Graebener!! They are now out of production. They do have all the "micro detail" that we big horn freaks know and love, however, with slightly less "jump out of your seat" dynamics. It's ALL a trade-off.

4 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I believe that. This is the main reason I have strayed from and been brought back to Klipsch several times now.   I am here to stay.  For the amount of money I am willing to throw at a system and the room I have to work with, nothing else I have had in here comes close.  

No matter what, I will always have Klipsch speakers, or at the very least, big horns from Klipsch or those that I make myself based on Klipsch (Like my Quarter Pies being based on the MWM) with K-402's and various drivers. But that doesn't stop me from appreciating other types, obviously.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

When matched with a quality amplifier the LS50 has amazing realistic clarity and dynamic vocals.

Excellent attention to engineering and physcoacoustics research taken into account.  See pdf link

https://www.kefdirect.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/documents/ls50/ls50_white_paper.pdf

miketn 🙂

Mike........am I correct in assuming you are using these as "computer speakers on a desk?"

I can't imagine a fellow Jubilee owner with TAD drivers could stand a speakers that needs 100 X the power as a Jube to get to realistic levels, with the inherent intermodulation distortion as a main system in any room. Tell us more..........do you own these or just like the technology?

5 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Mike........am I correct in assuming you are using these as "computer speakers on a desk?"

I can't imagine a fellow Jubilee owner with TAD drivers could stand a speakers that needs 100 X the power as a Jube to get to realistic levels, with the inherent intermodulation distortion as a main system in any room. Tell us more..........do you own these or just like the technology?

Hey Claude I own them 🙂

As you know it all comes down to the listening experience in the end and these have my respect and I can love the LS50 and my Jubs😄 ......and my 1502 which should be able to keep up with them 😃

Stands on order so temporary setup just for playing now. Using an ARCAM SA20 class G amplifier to drive them and it’s an awesome combination.

miketn

03DBBBF4-FA6B-449C-BC4A-DBD9B1E317D7.thumb.jpeg.8a6662fc3ddc5df639f71b595b4dc87d.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Hey Claude I own them 🙂

As you know it all comes down to the listening experience in the end and these have my respect and I can love the LS50 and my Jubs😄 ......and my 1502 which should be able to keep up with them 😃

Stands on order so temporary setup just for playing now. Using an ARCAM SA20 class G amplifier to drive them and it’s an awesome combination.

miketn

03DBBBF4-FA6B-449C-BC4A-DBD9B1E317D7.thumb.jpeg.8a6662fc3ddc5df639f71b595b4dc87d.jpeg

Mike, if those have YOUR respect, then that is good enough of an answer for me!! I listened to them on You Tube and they sounded pretty loud and linear to me. 80W amp should be plenty for normal listening (I'm a fan of ESS Sabre DACs, having owned 3, 2 presently). I'm liking that 1502 also. Looks great. Are those the "slim" replacement for the MWM in theaters?? Or are you part of field research on 15 driver horn subs for the Chief?

I have the LS 50 Wireless setup and use that as my near field computer speakers - Along with a decent HSU Subwoofer these freaking rock. For reference I have modified Forte 1s, a Mcintosh integrated amp and a large powered HSU Sub in my living room setup. Different animals but the LS50 Wireless sound amazing as near field units. Mind blowing audiophile from these babies! Sometimes I just have to sit at my desk and marvel at how two small speakers can sound so amazing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

80W amp should be plenty for normal listening (I'm a fan of ESS Sabre DACs, having owned 3, 2 presently). 

The ARCAM SA20 is listed as 90w at (8)ohm and 150w at (4)ohm.  While my first impression when I first saw it’s looks was OK pretty nice build for the price but listening to it with the KEF LS50 was dam this is really really good with excellent soundstage imaging. 😀

First experience with a Class G design. I highly recommend a listen for anyone interested in an integrated amp with all it’s features.

miketn

C431350B-BD7C-4B4D-9E85-707C9A6D3928.thumb.jpeg.55918028f3f50cbb7287f7eb40d79769.jpeg

0C0703F5-C067-4FD2-9B83-E714735E73C6.thumb.jpeg.b589891895ecd032b7bf1a878f0e4226.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'm liking that 1502 also. Looks great. Are those the "slim" replacement for the MWM in theaters?? Or are you part of field research on 15 driver horn subs for the Chief?

It was the first prototype and physically a little larger than the later prototypes. Claude this sub and the 1802 has the best clarity and for lack of a better description effortless impression at low or high volume levels I’ve experienced.

miketn 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

It was the first prototype and physically a little larger than the later prototypes. Claude this sub and the 1802 has the best clarity and for lack of a better description effortless impression at low or high volume levels I’ve experienced.

miketn 

I should think so for that many cubic feet of HORN!    Is it a single 15" driver or a pair?