Factory quality control?

slk23

I bought a pair of La Scalas (split cabinet reinforced pro style) in 1983.  Recently while working on renewing the crossovers I've discovered that one of the woofers was hooked up out of phase at the factory: inside the bass cabinet the red wire is connected to the driver's positive connection and the black binding post.  I've always felt that the bass was a bit weak for 15" drivers and now I know why! 

The speakers still have the signed quality control tags on them.  Apparently their process didn't include checking the wiring.  Nice job...

I can see that the wire connecting the positive terminal on the driver (marked with a dot of paint) goes to the backside of the black binding post. Also, when I test the driver with an AA battery the cone moves in instead of out as it should.  The other woofer has the opposite (correct) behavior. 

2 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Wired out of phase at the crossover, both speakers?  Yes. Per what OP posts?  No. If I bought speakers said as such that had ZERO bass, I would have explored that 10 years ago.  Quality slips every once in a never. Sorry you were the victim as such.  

The difference in bass level with one woofer out of phase is surprisingly small; certainly not enough to arouse any suspicions.  And why would I ever question the quality of the legendary Klipsch brand?  It never entered my mind to listen with one woofer connected black to red, red to black.  It was only when checking that I'd built and installed the new crossovers correctly that I tried it just to see how badly the sound would be affected.  To my great surprise it made the bass stronger, leading me to dig deeper and check the connections inside the bass cabinet.

Edited by slk23

@Westcoastdrums No, I don't "belive" you.  But I don't know you, so I'll give you more courtesy than you gave me. 

I know what out of phase speakers sound like.  Having one driver out of phase didn't affect things as much as one would think.  Also, from what I've learned about crossovers the Klipsch designs are pretty messy wrt phase.

Edited by slk23

(everyone exhale....)

You know slk...  "crap happens", right?  We (and they) are only human.

Roughly 12 years ago, I spent about $7,000 and bought a pair of their Jubilee's.  Did the snoopy happy dance (and am still dancing that dance today)

During that time frame, there were many unknowns about the speaker.  Did it have stuffing inside?  Did it not??  So, one day when I was tinkering around, I thought I'd go ahead & pull the top off to find out.  (yes, it has stuffing)

BUT....while I was in there I discovered that either the screws holding my woofers on had loosened or....  maybe someone at the factory didn't tighten them all the way.

I don't know.  I got a screwdriver and tightened them and (not sure) I THINK this is the first thing I've ever said publicly about the incident.  (I did send an email to Roy so he'd be aware of it)

So, "it happens, nothing is perfect and people make mistakes....."  You have a great sounding speaker and now, sounds even better!

time for you to do the Snoopy Happy Dance!

On 11/28/2018 at 3:49 PM, Westcoastdrums said:

Wired out of phase at the crossover, both speakers?  Yes. Per what OP posts?  No. If I bought speakers said as such that had ZERO bass, I would have explored that 10 years ago.  Quality slips every once in a never. Sorry you were the victim as such.  

That's what happens when I skim. I blame my eyes; they dart around like they're late for an appt.