RSB-11/general subwoofer questions

Thundercat710

Greetings to all,

I'm not experienced enough with home theater setups to know what my expectations should be, so I would like some other people's input. I recently hooked this system up in our modestly-sized living room and fired away with movie explosions and awesome music, and the subwoofer sounded...WEAK. I oriented it a couple different positions without much difference noted. I mean, I could tell that it was on, and when I turned up the subwoofer volume on the remote it did get a bit more pronounced, but still. It wasn't at all what I was hoping it would sound like. The soundbar itself sounded good to me, just the subwoofer seemed questionable. 

So, a few questions:

1. People at my work said it sounded like the subwoofer was malfunctioning - "it should be providing way more oomph". Could that be the case? Seems to me like it would have obvious signs of malfunctioning if that were the case, but I'm not sure.

2. How much beefier does the R-10SWi sound compared to the 8" sub that comes bundled in the RSB-x series?

3. Can't I just get a Klipsch soundbar without a subwoofer bundled in and get a R-10SWi to pair along with it? 

Thanks for all your help,

Mike D.

Edited by Thundercat710

Asking an 8 inch woofer to perform the full duties of a subwoofer is a tall order.  They typically don't have the capability to achieve what you're looking for.

Depending on the sound bar you may be able to add an upgraded subwoofer.  However, long story short, my best friend bought a Klipsch RSB-3 (I think?) on black Friday.  I believe it is the only soundbar Klipsch makes without a subwoofer.  He ended up returning it because he said it really didn't sound much better than the speakers in the new tv he bought the same day.  I don't know if it even had  the option to add a subwoofer.

32 minutes ago, Blvdre said:

It's really a woofer, not a subwoofer, and I get a surprising amount of output from mine in an average sized living room (placed in a corner). It sounds like something's wrong with your unit.

Yeah I'm hoping the woofer that came with the first kit was malfunctioning. I picked up a replacement bundle today at lunch and am eager to check it out tonight

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I just tried it with a digital to analog converter.  I have all the sources connected to tv, then I connected the optical to a converter.  I then took my subs input cable to the converter and my sub played. So now I just need a optical splitter or hook my devices thru the sound bar by hdmi and problem fixed.  Alittle playing and got it going great

• 1 month later...

I purchased a reconditioned Klipsch RSB-11 sound bar and sub-woofer, but the sub-woofer volume and output is much lower than expected. I admittedly am not very technical with electronics, and would appreciate if anybody can provide recommendations about my speaker. 

• 4 weeks later...