R-820F speakers?

Beachboy

How would Klipsch R-820F speakers function as main speakers in a two channel stereo system?  I currently have a set of Infinity SM series 10" three way speakers and although I'm happy with them, I'm always looking for upgrades, especially since the 820's are on sale until midnight tonight.  But the specs don't indicate the 820's will kick out any more bass than my Infinities.  So would I be wasting my money by "upgrading" to the Klipsch's?  I am frustrated that it's impossible to find speaker cabinets finished in real wood veneer nowadays -- regardless of price, it seems like I'm stuck with vinyl contact paper over particle board construction.  My receiver is a 100 watt/channel Onkyo and I listen primarily to FM and occasionally to CD.

Edited by Beachboy

A casual search could not reveal the specs or pricing for the SM series speakers you mention.

Honestly, if bass is performance is what you're looking for, don't try to find a speaker that outperforms your Infinity's. There are many choices out there and it will be too subjective. I suggest you merely augment your Infinity's with a subwoofer, especially since you don't seem to find fault with your existing speakers. It will be less expensive and involve less luck and guesswork.

And if real veneer is another of your benchmarks, then find a subwoofer with a real veneer finish or have your subwoofer of choice veneered by a woodworking shop. There are people out there that can do this type of work.

The R820f is the lowest tier of Klipsch home floor standers, but they will sound very good. I don't know how they compare to your Infinity speakers. Have you considered buying used? If you're looking for real wood veneer, it is available in the upper tier of Klipsch speakers, some even have exotic finishes.

All Klipsch Heritage speakers are real wood veneers as well as the RF-7 III.

For the money, if I were you I'd search for a preowned pair local to you.  If your budget is around $500 you've got a huge range of awesome Klipsch that would give you the exterior finish you desire and the upgraded sound as well.

Examples:

Forte I or II

Quartet

KG 5.2 or 5.5

Don't rely on specs alone to determine whether or not you'll like how a speaker sounds.  Also, Klipsch speakers typically have much more detail in their bass output than other speakers do.  Some perceive this as less bass when in reality it is non-exaggerated bass as many speakers have.  You can always use any tone or EQ settings that your receiver may have to compensate for this.  After you listen to them for a bit you'll probably come to appreciate the nuances in music you've never heard before instead of always being a one note boom boom box.

Even being a lower tier Klipsch, which I have, they will be different from the Infinity.

I think they will produce a lot more bass and a more open mid range sound.

Buy them, They have a comparable crossover and build quality.

I think if you even moved down to the 6&1/2 inch driver towers,

you'll like them better too.

They'll also be under warranty, I enjoy mine.

Thanks for the advice, guys.  I have about one hour to make up my mind before the 820's go off sale.  No way do I want to pay full price for them.  I can't accommodate a subwoofer in the floor space I have in my living room. Plus, I have a Klipsch 10" subwoofer on my home theater system in another room, and it's been problematic.  I had to have it replaced under warranty due to a dead amp, and I had similar luck with a Definitive Technology sub - paid to have the amp replaced since it was out of warranty, and the replacement amp was defective when returned to me.  I gave up on the fight and just put it at the curb.  So I'm not a fan of powered subs.  Around my area, there are VERY few guys into two channel sound, and finding a pair of good used Klipsch speakers would involve driving out of state,  most likely.  Most of what I see on Craig's List are 70's era speakers with rotted foam surrounds. 

Can someone tell me what the fundamental differences are between Reference and Reference Premier series speakers?  The specs for similar sized models seem almost identical, but there must be some difference to justify the significant price difference.  I know the tweeters are different, but are the differences audible to the average listener?  Do the RP's have better build quality for the cabinetry?  Both series made in China, I assume?

Edited by Beachboy

Thanks for all the advice, guys.  I passed on buying the 820's for now, and will look for other options.  I have a pair of JBL L-100's I might bring out of retirement, or just live with my current Infinities.  I most likely will be moving to a condo or apartment next year, and I know huge speakers would get me in trouble!   LOL