Pre amp required with Yaqin MC-13s for vinyl??

Legsman222

Hi guys, in need of some expert advice here please. 

So here goes, I am about to purchase a Yaqin Mc-13s to use with my Project RPM1 carbon, my question(s) is: do I need to use a pre amp with this setup?, now I’ve heard in some videos that you need to use one with your turntable however I am under the impression that this amp is an “intergrated amplifier” and therefore has a pre amp built in, it has a separate circuit for the preamp stage so why would I need a pre amp?

The RPM1 has a phono output and the Yaqin has phono inputs, so it should work right? Or Wrong?

I was hoping I could use this Yaqin amp with my Project RPM1 and Klipsch RP-150M speakers. 

It would be a shame if it didn’t work without a pre amp as I have done much research into tube rolling for the Yaqin and I have found some matched pair Mullard NOS 12AU7 and 12AX7 pre amp tubes that I would like to use eventually, this setup would be coming in at just my budget and as far as I am aware this would be an amazing setup for very little money (£1000-£1500). 

Im very new to the tube amp market and was hoping I could get a leg up from you guys, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Budding Audiophile

Legsman222

Unable to determine if that Yaquin thingie has a built in phono pre in a cursory search.  It may have an input labeled phono, but no grounding wire or specification for mm or mc or anything phono pre related, so I suspect you will need an outboard phono pre.  (The phono pre provides more than just gain, they also provide RIAA equalization.  If you try your tt directly into the yaqin and it sounds anemic with very low output you'll know your answer.)

THAnks for your reply’s, I have had a look at the inputs and they are just rca aux inputs so I presume a pre amp is needed like you say, however would that render the preamp circuit in the mc13 useless or would the sound be going through 2 preamps? Would that be overkill, or is there no harm to the sound going through 2 preamps?

A review of the MC-13s posted in the "Wall Of Sound" website - MC-13s - two years ago includes this info:

"The four line inputs, and six spade/banana speaker plugs are first rate, as are the volume control and input switch. There is no phono pre-amplifier fitted."

The review also mentions that Yaqin offers the MS-12B as a companion preamp/phono stage for vinyl users.

~

you'll need a phono preamp to boost the signal from the cartridge. Project makes this https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/phono-box-s2/ that will work with mm or mc cartridges. There are plenty of other manufacturers of preamps out there if you don't want the one I linked. 

BTW, welcome to the Klipsch forum! 

• 2 weeks later...