Adding an Academy!

wuzzzer

Finally figured out a good solution to adding a center speaker.  Bought this for my tv to sit on and the center to sit in:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F132609025401

Rated to hold up to 200 pounds, which is great since my 70" tv is 112 pounds.  My current tv stand is also espresso color and is 60" wide, 15" deep and tall.  The above stand is 30x15x15.  The Academy is about 23x11x9.  I was originally going to set my tv directly on the Academy but my tv's base is 12" deep and the Academy is only 9" deep.

My wife has always wanted the tv to sit higher so it will accomplish that plus have a good amount of space around it.

I already ordered a titanium diaphragm for it since I have titanium mid and tweeter in my Heresy IIs.  Very excited, I've always wanted to try out an Academy.

Thanks @davis419b!

• Like 3

Well, the stand was delivered today.  Absolute garbage.  The boards are hollow.  I read online at a different site selling the same item that it was rated to hold 200 pounds.  Well, I'm not trusting my tv on it no way no how.  I guess for how cheap it is I shouldn't have expected much but I'm really disappointed.

Now to see if I can return it.  Probably will end up being too much of a hassle that I'll end up keeping it for storage.

I think I'm going to figure out a way to set my tv directly on top of the Academy even with the overhang of the tv's base in the back of it.

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

Well, the stand was delivered today.  Absolute garbage.  The boards are hollow.  I read online at a different site selling the same item that it was rated to hold 200 pounds.  Well, I'm not trusting my tv on it no way no how.  I guess for how cheap it is I shouldn't have expected much but I'm really disappointed.

Now to see if I can return it.  Probably will end up being too much of a hassle that I'll end up keeping it for storage.

I think I'm going to figure out a way to set my tv directly on top of the Academy even with the overhang of the tv's base in the back of it.

Sorry to hear that. I found a bench that matched my console, works well to cover the center / tv stand.

Try searching benches, low benches, etc. for possibilities ..quite a few on Wayfair's site.

(not the one I got but kinda cool looking)

Wood+Bench.jpg

1 hour ago, teaman said:

One idea is you could easily reinforce the stand with some 2x6 or 2x8 inside. You should still have plenty of room for your center to fit.

Once the Academy arrives I'll have to figure out the best route to go.  I thought about reinforcing the stand I just got but I don't want it to look like a hack job.  I don't have the greatest woodworking skills and living in an apartment all my tools are in storage with not much room in our garage to work on anything.

If I could just wall mount the tv it would solve all my problems but I don't think the building owners would be too happy with all kinds of holes drilled in the wall.

• Like 1

So I'm returning the stand I bought.  I don't wasn't to mess around trying to reinforce it.

I think I'm going to just set my tv on top of the Academy and have about 1 1/2" overhang in front and back of my tv's base.  I'll try that for a bit and see how it looks.  I was hoping to be able to tilt the Academy up slightly since it's mounted lower than my Heresy IIs on stands but obviously I can't do that if my tv is sitting on top of it.  I just wish the Academy was 12" deep like the Klipsch brochure says it is.  😞

Surprisingly the Academy arrived this morning, a day ahead of schedule according to FedEx.  How often does that happen, especially this time of year??  So far I just have it hooked up and sitting on the floor just to make sure everything is working correctly.  I noticed that it's a little heavy on the bottom end, especially male voices.  I'm sure this is because it's sitting directly on the floor and the lower octaves are being emphasized because of it.

• Moderators

What about DIY, make something, or find an old coffee table open on the bottom, or any kind of table like that. Put the Academy on the floor pointing upward toward where you sit..

You're going to be happy having a center.

Was a little worried about that box, it didn't even say if was particle board or not, nothing about what it was made of.

th (1).jpg

Go to HD and buy a 3/4" MDF project panel. The panel cost about $7 and HD will do custom cuts for free. While you're there buy a can of spray primer and a can of gloss lacquer. Block sand the MDF before primer then spray the paint and sand with 4 ought steel wool. Predrill holes and glue and screw together. Shouldn't cost more than $15 or so. If you want walnut or the like then buy a precut panel and have at it. Good luck.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x-16-in-x-4-ft-Square-Edge-Shelving-MDF-Board-1701106/202089058

stand.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to setting up the new stand that I got.  Let me tell you, it's not easy finding something that fits the 11.25" height of an Academy!!

Still have some wire management to do but for now everything is in place.

It's a few inches narrower than my old stand was.  I like it, I think it makes the tv look bigger.

1228182012.jpg

• Like 1