Noobi Receiver Help Request

Elfcat

I am studying, reading and researching, and am now a little confused, so need a little help choosing a safe power profile for a receiver.

I just put in an order for an R-34C, two pairs of R-51Ms for front and rear, and one pair of R-41Ms for sides.

Now I just noticed the R-41Ms have 50W continuous power handling while the R-34C has 100W.

So now I read the Klipsch beginner piece on receivers saying power per channel of receiver should be between 0.8 and 2 x power handling of speaker.

So am I truly locked into a range of 80 - 100 watts for my receiver research?

I read in other sites that the peak power handling is the power which puts the drums at fullest extension. So when the R-41M spec says peak handling is 200W, how do I interpret this range of 50 - 200? I hear that going low on wattage can damage a speaker as well, so is it safer to put a R-41M on a 110W post than to put a R-34C on an 80W post?

Always good to seek advice but in this case you don't have much to worry about.  As long as you don't hear audible distortion from your speakers you won't be causing any sort of damage.

I powered a pair of forte II with a Sonic Impact t-amp for a bit.  Yes, the one powered by a handful of AA batteries.  Sounded awesome and could play as loud as I wanted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Elfcat said:

Now I just noticed the R-41Ms have 50W continuous power handling while the R-34C has 100W.

As @wuzzzer said directly upstream, more power is better.  But you should know that if you have let's say 80 wpc to get another 3 db louder you need to double the power.  So if you have 80 wpc going to 100 wpc isn't going to be much louder.

The key is to get an AVR that has room correction built-in.  Audyssey is in Marantz and Denon.  Pioneer has its own version as does Yamaha.  When you run the room correction program it will measure the room, measure the speakers and balance everything so when you play the system at Reference Level (usually around 82 db) the different speakers will get the correct amount of power.

Check out accessories4less.com.  They have good prices on good equipment.  Many of us including me have bought electronics there and had a very positive experience.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

If you haven't bought wire yet let us know, we can advise on size and type.  There is cheap stuff CCA you want to avoid, and good stuff OFC which you want to get.  The good stuff is only about ten bucks more than the cheap stuff but technically much better.  See Monoprice.com for wire.

19 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Check out accessories4less.com.  They have good prices on good equipment.  Many of us including me have bought electronics there and had a very positive experience.

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html

Thanks for this, looking there & eBay & NewEgg & a few local places. Definitely looks like a model with a cal-mic is always a good thing.

19 hours ago, wvu80 said:

If you haven't bought wire yet let us know, we can advise on size and type.  There is cheap stuff CCA you want to avoid, and good stuff OFC which you want to get.  The good stuff is only about ten bucks more than the cheap stuff but technically much better.  See Monoprice.com for wire.

OK. Oh yeah, looked up the acros, definitely with all I'm otherwise spending I wouldn't connect them with aluminum! Klipsch doc says 16 AWG or fatter on the wire itself. How important is shielding btw?

2 hours ago, Elfcat said:

OK. Oh yeah, looked up the acros, definitely with all I'm otherwise spending I wouldn't connect them with aluminum! Klipsch doc says 16 AWG or fatter on the wire itself. How important is shielding btw?

Shielding make no difference in speaker wire.  The regular plastic sheath would be fine.

You'll find 16 awg is a good size, very flexible.  You could go larger but I don't think you will hear any difference in sound.  I use the larger Monoprice 12 awg wire in OFC but I'm into overkill.