Can we talk 2" midrange drivers?

kevinmi

As a lot of you know, I have modified K-Horns sporting big tratrix mid horns with 2" exit drivers. I have been using Selenium D-405 drivers (phenolic diaphragm) since the build several years ago, with great results.

My questions is this: for those of you who have tried different drivers, which would you recommend and why? I've heard good things about Faital Pro, TAD, and a host of others. I don't have the money to go out and buy a pair of each to try out, so I'm hoping to learn from the experience of others. I need frequency ranges from 400 to 6000, as this is a 3 way system, and I'll only be running 8 watts max of triode power to them.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome!

K-horn 002 25.jpg

Look at these new ones

https://celestion.com/product/174/axi2050/

These seem to be the talk of the town on other forums. And the company spent a ton of R&D on them and if understand it these can be used and a few ways. From 300hz all the way up to and over 20k or used for just a mid or a tweeter, but I think they are marketing them as a mid/tweeter for a two way setup. And they are pretty massive as well

• Like 1

Those are beautiful builds Kevin. Love those mids in wood

BMS seemed to have the best reputation and build for the money with a true mid only in my set up.   I went out on a limb with a 4592 ND model that had been modded from the factory with shorting rings and can only compare them to Full range TADS which are a different animal. 

image-37.jpg

1 hour ago, carlthess40 said:

Look at these new ones

These seem to be the talk of the town on other forums. And the company spent a ton of R&D on them and if understand it these can be used and a few ways. From 300hz all the way up to and over 20k or used for just a mid or a tweeter, but I think they are marketing them as a mid/tweeter for a two way setup. And they are pretty massive as well

It's almost 10dB down at 400Hz. Count this one out unless you're going active.

The BMS 4592-mid is the go-to driver for the Klipschorn.

6 hours ago, wvu80 said:

If I might beg the question, do you feel there is something lacking in your current mid-range sound?

What are you hearing, or not hearing that you think another CD might fix?

I'm not hearing any defects at all- I'm just wondering if there is something different or amazing that I might be missing out on.

I used that tratrix software that's been floating around forever. I wanted something that was 2:1 ratio and 26" wide, to match the width of the bass bin. I punched in the numbers, and if I remember correctly, I had to add an inch to each side to make it the correct width.

Ah  .... don't we use TADs down that low on Jubilees? or pretty dang close? Nevermind that they're darn near unobtanium. I used BMS 4592 mids on Fastlane"s BIG eliptrac horn with ALK ESN 400s on KHorn bottoms. But they still were 3 way. Sounded pretty good to me(no measuremnet data) but I'm a doofus:)

What about B and C DCM50s? Are they unobtanium now also? Either BMS mid or DCM50 will still need a tweeter.

I don't know all the technical stuff.....but on the Jubilee's, (with the K402) the TAD's kick in at 400Hz LR/24.  I think by going active, you are able to stop the signal to them soon enough where it wan't cause any damage.

I WILL say that for residential use, you are not going to really be limited with volume (hmmmm.....)

Looks like you're in Michigan??  Ever see yourself driving to TN?  Though I have a TAD which is currently sitting unused in my closet, I'm not too keen on shipping it and risking a cracked diaphragm...  But if you're close enough to pick it up, you are welcome to borrow it.

BTW, once you get on I-75 south, I'm only "about" 4 turns away from you!!

6 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Look at these new ones

Ah, yes, good old "unobtanium," by way of OEM only. Know a major player who can get one? Are you listening Chief Bonehead? Many of your "K-402 Victims" would love to try one. "Victim" something PWK once called me in the presence of Jim Hunter (one of his other victims). 

2 hours ago, kevinmi said:

Still looks like the BMS 4592 is ruling the roost, but I've heard the TAD drivers are no slouch either. Both are pricey, for sure! I'd hate to spend that kind of money only to find minimal or no improvement. Maybe someone could lend me a pair!

The BMS is NOT pricey...........but the TAD is super pricey.