Can we talk 2" midrange drivers?

kevinmi

10 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

This is my "philosophy" as well.  I like a two-way with a single high quality mid/high CD instead of a three-way with less expensive tweeter and separate mid driver.  Even with some Klipsch 2-way models you get a small tweeter CD and most of the audio sound comes from conventional cone drivers.

The link said those Celestions were OEM only and I didn't see a price.  I'm curious how much they cost.

Hear are a few Ive tied and thoughts

The very best ever head... BMS 4592 Mid

2nd. B&C DCM50

3rd. Radian 850 with Be driver.... sooooooooooooooooooooo hard to work with.... tuning it might kill you but if you get it right its an amazing choice for 2way.

B&C DE750.... its a monster... no brainer choice... will make you think you have better bass. Heavy... horn will need to be braced.

Fatial HF140/200.  Sings... goes low... goes high... light no complaints... everything is right. Nothing disappoints but nothing blows you over.., no weight issues.

B&C DE85 Smaller version of 750... less impressive... Like the HF200

Had a Pyle what was a parts express closeout... its was a close of a PV or JBL.... huge... like stupid big.... inefficient as compared to the rest. But sounded great... practically gave it away and went to 400hz.

I am currently running the B&C DE750TN.  It is the only 2" driver I have tried and all I have to compare it to is the stock K-55.  It is a pretty huge upgrade from the K-55, but I guess any 2" driver would be.  It takes some pretty serious EQ to tame the spike in response at ~15khz (Ti diaphragm breakup), but it sounds good once you do.  I am crossing at around 500hz.  I think it would struggle to hit 400hz, though maybe with a big enough horn.....

I am keen to try out some beryllium diaphragm drivers in the future.  Would love to try TADs, but am very tempted by the Radian Be offerings due to price.  They seem to be much more affordable than the TADs.  Also curious about the JBL Be offerings.