Tube Amp Buying Advice

Sam S.

Hi -- plethora of info. here and I admit I'm just getting started. As the other thread starter mentioned, I've also been considering a tube amp, "for the heck of it". Sounds like a build kit might be a rewarding project to try, but like the other poster, I don't want to break the bank and my soldering skills are rudimentary at best. At any rate, I found a tube amp local to me (about 20 minutes away) but don't really know what the specs mean, or if this is a decent deal, or what questions to ask. Can someone offer input? Guy is asking $275. Likely this would be paired with Chorus II's. Thanks!

Single Ended Kt88/6550 Stereo Amp.

Has Great sound well built with Japanese Transformers.
Upgraded Sound Capacitors (jantzen superior)
Comes with new style Gold Lion Kt88.

image.png.84959e4fa71ad3b36505dc5f498ba283.png

=== twenty minutes away? For sure have an audition, like it or not you’ve got nothing to lose.

Might be a talented builder and sound great. Just because it’s inexpensive doesn’t mean it can’t be quiet. 

Ive heard/owned damn expensive tube amps whose noise floor was more than I cared for —

For that money, the asking price won't even pay for the output transformers if they are decent.Maybe some old stock transformers?Find the source of the transformers,get a schematic if you can, then buy it. Is it my imagination, or are the getters on those output tubes turning white? On second thought, I expect this is a Chinese amp.Even so, you can always upgrade parts if needed, and its a good price to get into tubes.

On 11/30/2018 at 1:22 PM, Sam S. said:

Hi -- plethora of info. here and I admit I'm just getting started. As the other thread starter mentioned, I've also been considering a tube amp, "for the heck of it". Sounds like a build kit might be a rewarding project to try, but like the other poster, I don't want to break the bank and my soldering skills are rudimentary at best. At any rate, I found a tube amp local to me (about 20 minutes away) but don't really know what the specs mean, or if this is a decent deal, or what questions to ask. Can someone offer input? Guy is asking $275. Likely this would be paired with Chorus II's. Thanks!

Single Ended Kt88/6550 Stereo Amp.

Has Great sound well built with Japanese Transformers.
Upgraded Sound Capacitors (jantzen superior)
Comes with new style Gold Lion Kt88.

image.png.84959e4fa71ad3b36505dc5f498ba283.png

That is a Douk or psvane.  Chinese amp sells on Ebay for $500+. Has great reviews. I plan on buying one after christmas.