What's everyone using for power conditioners?

kevinmi

I'm looking to upgrade my power conditioner to a unit that regulates the incoming voltage to a more steady level, since winters in Michigan can cause a little havoc sometimes. I'm running tube equipment, which I understand to be susceptible to tube bias fluctuations if the incoming voltages aren't steady. I'm looking at Furman , Panamax and APC units. 

Any advice/ experience you could throw my way?

• Like 1

I don't use anything but not saying not too. Generally the 120 volt AC power coming in is very clean until there is a thunderstorm or intermittent outage which then can reak havoc with poorly designed power supplies. The best power supplies in my experience were manufactured by Western Electric for radar equipment with (5) 5r4's in parallel which nailed the output voltage regardless of what the input voltage did. I view most solid state power supplies very dimly (That means they suck) and that includes TV's, AVR's, and the like.

JJK

I have a dedicated 30A (inadequate) circuit for my audio gear, but use no power conditioner.  At common listening levels, all 3 power amps play for 30+ seconds after power off.  I think that is enough power supply that a conditioner is a waste of money. 

I had a PS Audio conditioner in-line for awhile. They employ a huge and heavy toroidal coil to even out variances in line currents and they do work and will make a noticeable difference where currents vary. When I got my Accuphase amp it came with a line conditioner built in and I removed the other unit. ‘‘Twas then that I noticed how silent my equipment was when sitting idle. The PS conditioner has a very soft transformer hum that was a permanent part of the background room noise because it was always powered up. Listen for this as you shop for product. I do still own the power conditioner. We use it in our stained glass work for the same reason - everything runs consistently. It will even accommodate short power outages as the transformer acts as one big capacitor.