"Small" folded horn vs "direct" ... 30-800Hz

Emile

OK; got a set of K-510/K-691 (=B&C DE 75's) for my "small" stereo room.  (Have KPT-904's in my "main" room, so I know what they can sound like :D )  Using Forte I's as "bass bins."  (Xover >500Hz to the horns and <800Hz to the Forte's.)  Sound is good, but it seems the 510 horns are just in a different league than the Forte's ... so; looking for suggestions on another "bass bin."  Setup is in a "small" stereo room ... do NOT have space for a regular Klipsch bass bin (like the dual 15" in my KPT-904's, forget the actual # of the bins).  Just wondering if there is a "small" folded woofer that can give me 30-800Hz, or a direct (ported or sealed) box. :D 

Thanks, Emile

Add-on ... using a Marantz 1060 on the horns and a Kenwood KR-4070 on the Forte's, xovers set by a miniDSP 2x4.

7 hours ago, Emile said:

OK; ........... Just wondering if there is a "small" folded woofer that can give me 30-800Hz, .........

Thanks, Emile

No. 

Small horns can't go deep.  You know, a La Scala *is* a small bass horn.  ;- )

• Sad 1

Emile how does sticking that racing slick on the family sedan work out? I would think the engine would have a hard time making them turn right.  That Forte is going to forever sound anemic and muddy compared to the 904 because it is what it is.

• Sad 1

OK; dumb beginner question :D  I have a 15" subwoofer ( with a Dayton Audio 15" 4 Ohm woofer ... https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss390hf-4-15-reference-hf-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-468 ... specwise good from 18-800Hz). Why couldn't I use that as a bass bin?  (Yeah; know I will need more power than my 45W Kenwood :( )

Cheers, Emile

On 11/30/2018 at 5:58 PM, Emile said:

OK; got a set of K-510/K-691 (=B&C DE 75's) for my "small" stereo room.  (Have KPT-904's in my "main" room, so I know what they can sound like :D )  Using Forte I's as "bass bins."  (Xover >500Hz to the horns and <800Hz to the Forte's.)  Sound is good, but it seems the 510 horns are just in a different league than the Forte's ... so; looking for suggestions on another "bass bin."  Setup is in a "small" stereo room ... do NOT have space for a regular Klipsch bass bin (like the dual 15" in my KPT-904's, forget the actual # of the bins).  Just wondering if there is a "small" folded woofer that can give me 30-800Hz, or a direct (ported or sealed) box. :D 

Thanks, Emile

Add-on ... using a Marantz 1060 on the horns and a Kenwood KR-4070 on the Forte's, xovers set by a miniDSP 2x4.

You haven't described what small is.  What dimensions?

Horns are not small, even when ported if you are trying to get down to 30hz.  Also you have to think about EQ when you do that.

You might get away with a mini VOT top end but still need a lot of volume for bass, unless again if you EQ (think lots of power).

• Thanks 1

Thanks @pzannucci ... haha; yes "small" meaning about the size of my Forte's or a little bit bigger ... say max 20x20x40 inches.  Guess a Chorus would fit nicely just don't think it is enough of an improvement over Forte's. System and speakers are on a wall in a small guest bedroom about 12x12 ft.  Queen size murphy bed folds down in front of my system ... not much room left when the bed is down :(  so the wife is concerned about "enough room" for guests :(  (Haha ... only a couple of days per year :) ) 

Cheers, Emile

PS; yes, have a miniDSP on it ... horns are set at >500HZ ... still playing with the range on my Forte's ... ,500Hz makes them sound very "tiny," ,1000Hz is better; full range seems "best." :D 

4 hours ago, Khornukopia said:

The bass bin section of the Belle is only 23x18x29 inches.

No room for reflex so won't go low.

16 hours ago, Emile said:

Thanks @pzannucci ... haha; yes "small" meaning about the size of my Forte's or a little bit bigger ... say max 20x20x40 inches.  Guess a Chorus would fit nicely just don't think it is enough of an improvement over Forte's. System and speakers are on a wall in a small guest bedroom about 12x12 ft.  Queen size murphy bed folds down in front of my system ... not much room left when the bed is down :(  so the wife is concerned about "enough room" for guests :(  (Haha ... only a couple of days per year :) ) 

Cheers, Emile

PS; yes, have a miniDSP on it ... horns are set at >500HZ ... still playing with the range on my Forte's ... ,500Hz makes them sound very "tiny," ,1000Hz is better; full range seems "best." :D 

I would say use the two 12" woofers that SWL updated his KLF30s with in that size box tuned to around 25-30 hz.  Caire HW321.  They would hit much harder than a Forte, and better than a Chorus.  In the same ball park overall efficiency of a KLF30 so you are getting close to horn efficiency but without horn size trade off.  Horns will require that volume in the back of the drivers PLUS the horn size to get that low of extension.  

Slot loaded like in a Frazier Model 7 would be very nice.

• Thanks 1

@pzannucci ... just read @SWL 's thread. Thanks; very interesting :)  Think he used the Ciara FXE12-4 ... the HW321 is a newer model.  Any thoughts on "just" replacing my single K-23 Forte woofer with one of these Ciara's?

Thanks, Emile

Add-on ... darn; Ciara's are only available in 8 Ohms ... need 4 Ohms for the Forte's :(