"Small" folded horn vs "direct" ... 30-800Hz

Emile

Ah sorry, thought it was the HW321.  I didn't go back to re-read.  Compared to the FXE12-4, I would expect the HW321 to provide much better extension in a moderate box size with a small change in efficiency.

I'd look to a 4 ohm woofer for Forte replacement unless you are not using internal crossover of the Forte.

• Thanks 1

Got some (select; no knots) pine wood (1x10's) and will build a box for the 510's ... picking up some walnut veneer tomorrow. (Haha; wife is out of town for 4 days :D )

Think I will live with the anemic Forte's until I can find a set of KPT-684's ... or maybe I'll build a box for double  Caire woofers :) 

Cheers, Emile

12 hours ago, Emile said:

Got some (select; no knots) pine wood (1x10's) and will build a box for the 510's ... picking up some walnut veneer tomorrow. (Haha; wife is out of town for 4 days :D )

Think I will live with the anemic Forte's until I can find a set of KPT-684's ... or maybe I'll build a box for double  Caire woofers :) 

Cheers, Emile

Flying under the radar while she's gone or just something to do?  When my SO is away, she always comes back to something new but of course, I never tell her.  All of the sudden there is an "Oh". :D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

When my SO is away, she always comes back to something new but of course, I never tell her.  All of the sudden there is an "Oh". :D

Haha ... do exactly the same ... and many times she did not even notice "what" I bought :D 

• Haha 1

OK; chopped up my wood with a table saw ... fits perfectly. :D  One cabinet done ... DARN ... brad nailer is "shot."  Last nail doubled up and can't get it out :( Jeez; not going to spend $100 to get another nailer :(  next box is going together with polyurethane glue ... damn; a lot slower ... and I am picking up veneer tomorrow. The wife is only gone till Friday :(  probably will catch hell since I "played" and did not get "her stuff" done :D  

Time for wine :D 

Cheers, Emile

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/30/2018 at 6:58 PM, Emile said:

OK; got a set of K-510/K-691 (=B&C DE 75's) for my "small" stereo room.  (Have KPT-904's in my "main" room, so I know what they can sound like :D )  Using Forte I's as "bass bins."  (Xover >500Hz to the horns and <800Hz to the Forte's.)  Sound is good, but it seems the 510 horns are just in a different league than the Forte's ... so; looking for suggestions on another "bass bin."  Setup is in a "small" stereo room ... do NOT have space for a regular Klipsch bass bin (like the dual 15" in my KPT-904's, forget the actual # of the bins).  Just wondering if there is a "small" folded woofer that can give me 30-800Hz, or a direct (ported or sealed) box. :D 

Thanks, Emile

Add-on ... using a Marantz 1060 on the horns and a Kenwood KR-4070 on the Forte's, xovers set by a miniDSP 2x4.

Build an H-Frame OB using the Emminence Alpha 15 pro driver and you are done. Some of the best Bass I have heard up to 100 HZ.....................Not sure about going up to 800 HZ

I currently have oris horns on an H-frame bass and am very happy, Crossing over at 150Hz using a marchand xm9 active

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Emile said:

OK; chopped up my wood with a table saw ... fits perfectly. :D  One cabinet done ... DARN ... brad nailer is "shot."  Last nail doubled up and can't get it out :( Jeez; not going to spend $100 to get another nailer :(  next box is going together with polyurethane glue ... damn; a lot slower ... and I am picking up veneer tomorrow. The wife is only gone till Friday :(  probably will catch hell since I "played" and did not get "her stuff" done :D  

Time for wine :D 

Cheers, Emile

:emotion-21:

Better to ask forgiveness but you'll be pretty much done.;)

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Emile said:

Specs say 51-1700HZ ... so think it would be OK.  Thanks :D 

Many speaker drivers, in the correct cabinet, will play lower than their fs would indicate. Those will play low enough, but will cost a bit in efficiency.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Khornukopia said:

Your 510 horn cabinet looks good. Have you achieved better tonal balance by adjusting your miniDSP settings for the tweeter?

Thanks ... cabinet needs a couple more coats of oil :D  Have not done much playing with miniDSP adjustments ... haha ... waiting for my wife to leave for a couple of days :D 

Cheers, Emile

Is this room on the ground floor?  One guy ripped up the floor in a few contiguous rooms and dug out a huge pit in the dirt below, then built a strong, huge wood horn in that pit, and had it "speak" through a metal grille in the new flooring he put in.  The grille was as wide as the listening room.  There are photos of this floating around somewhere.   This could be your next project!   You would be well advised to discuss it with your wife first.

P.S. Pat Boone and Harry Browne would suggest you bury some gold down there while you are at it.

• Haha 1

On 12/12/2018 at 4:19 AM, garyrc said:

Is this room on the ground floor?  One guy ripped up the floor in a few contiguous rooms and dug out a huge pit in the dirt below, then built a strong, huge wood horn in that pit, and had it "speak" through a metal grille in the new flooring he put in.  The grille was as wide as the listening room.  There are photos of this floating around somewhere.   This could be your next project!   You would be well advised to discuss it with your wife first.

P.S. Pat Boone and Harry Browne would suggest you bury some gold down there while you are at it.

This one?

https://gizmodo.com/5025867/horn-subwoofer-takes-up-crazy-mans-entire-basement

• Like 1

Yes went into a house here and saw this open area above one of the walls in the living room.  After a better look, I realized the whole side wall, about 4 feet from the ceiling was a horn.  It was a good, well made convex shape on the bottom and sides (exponential?), fairly deep, extending way into the next room.  I'm not sure the home's owner really knew what it was other than a nice embellishment to enhance the looks.

5 hours ago, Blvdre said:

No, but similar.  The one I was writing about had nothing visible in the listening room but the metal grillwork (and the midrange and tweeter horns).

Here's a version from Philips of the Netherlands:

image.png.3f0e2ff4ec14afa7e632532a5d38ccfc.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, garyrc said:

No, but similar.  The one I was writing about had nothing visible in the listening room but the metal grillwork (and the midrange and tweeter horns).

Here's a version from Philips of the Netherlands:

image.png.3f0e2ff4ec14afa7e632532a5d38ccfc.png

That fits the small folded horn thread title :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/4/2018 at 6:13 PM, joessportster said:

Build an H-Frame OB

:( still do not have a good solution ... so; an OB is a good possibility. ( @Marvel also suggested it ... thanks!)

Open baffle looks sexier than an H-frame.  But ... NO CLUE on panel dimensions for either ???  OK; one more thought ... found a Yamaha dual 18" pro cabinet (SW218V) pretty cheap. Box is too big for the room, so I can "chop it up."  Any idea if these woofers (Yamaha Jay70110) would be usable?

Many thanks, Emile

https://photos.offerup.com/m3PaVc0BXlM1YZTIAS4rc-JhxaU=/600x800/0c78/0c784a351bcf4362bf20125ac5a28a57.jpg