domes of silence

The Dude

My Cornwalls have what Michael C would refer to as domes of silence, which are round metal domes tacked into the corners of the base. I have recently installed hardwood flooring and wonder if i should leave them as they are (with fear of scratching the floors) or add some felt pads. If i add felt pads, would this affect any of the sound and if so, how can i counter act to any effect?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I suggest you look around the Internet for some small rugs.   AKA prayer rugs for about $20 apiece. They'll look classy and allow you to slide the boxes to new positions. If you don't like the results the rugs can be used elsewhere.  Maybe sound absorbers on walls with some fiberglass behind.

The is a camp which suggests the use of spikes particularly in a situation of carpets.  By one theory the bass vibrations are coupled to the underlying floor.  By another there are small rocking motions induced to the box by the woofer moving and a mechanical connection to the floor prevents this.  The domes are a lesser version of spikes.

I don't put much faith in either theory.

WMcD

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WMcD said:

I suggest you look around the Internet for some small rugs.   AKA prayer rugs for about $20 apiece. They'll look classy and allow you to slide the boxes to new positions. If you don't like the results the rugs can be used elsewhere. 

WMcD

Make sure they match so they tie the room together. 

Do not use spikes on a hardwood floor!  A guy on the B&W forum did this and destroyed his beautiful hardwood floors with audiophile crap. 

Buy some rubber feet.  That will couple the speakers to the floor.  The only concern is oil from the rubber staining the floor.

• Like 1

The question of whether or not to use spikes or the like with La Scalas has been raised here a number of times, by other forum members and by me, shortly after I got my first La Scalas.  The general impression seems to be that the shape (wide and deep base) and weight of these speakers makes them very stable and free from rocking motions, so coupling them to the floor is unnecessary and provides no benefits.

One medium carpet, or 4 small ones, per speaker may be a fine idea, and it does make the speakers easier to move around when you want to experiment with speaker positioning and orientation.

It is all about vibrations 😊.

My floor is wooden parquet on a concrete. I have my speakers (40 lbs each) on spikes that lie on metal pads. Under the pads is self adhesive felt. That way I can move the speakers around a bit to the right place every time I want to listen music.

Now, that just was not right, I felt the speakers can do better.

So I experimented with vibrapods, they improved some issues in the mid-to higher frequencies but still not quite what I was hoping for.

So I cut rubber pieces of various dimensions and put 5 of them under each speaker until I found the dimensions that tames vibrations to the most and that suits my needs the best. Evaluation only by ear. That was pretty good.

And final touch was making my copy of what Barry Diament calls hip-joints, which should tackle vibrations in a horizontal plane (http://www.barrydiamentaudio.com/vibration.htm). Had to be careful to adjust the spikes so the speaker is really horizontal. Otherwise hip-joints do not function properly.  At the end, it is functional.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I thought this was clever! I thought it to be funny whether or not it was intentional on WMcD' part to suggest rugs to the OP who's user name is "The Dude". I'm glad this was not lost on everyone else!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/1/2018 at 10:59 AM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Do not use spikes on a hardwood floor!  A guy on the B&W forum did this and destroyed his beautiful hardwood floors with audiophile crap. 

Buy some rubber feet.  That will couple the speakers to the floor.  The only concern is oil from the rubber staining the floor.

There is a forum for b&w? 😒

6 hours ago, Skelt said:

I was just looking for some "Domes of Silence" , mine are missing on a set of khorns.
It seems they are made in the UK.
Does anyone have a state side retailer for these?

=== dome of silence? Ask Maxwell Smart where all his business was conducted — 

Menards has runner rug material by the foot, some nice stuff that well really tie the room together. I have read that rubber is a no no on hardwood, so luckily i have some left over felt from the underlayment. When time permits (hopefully Sunday) i will assemble my speaker rug and have this resolved. I will report back. Thanks for all the suggestions.

i have something similar on my Cornwalls, but its more like a bottle cap with tabs that drive in to the cabinet. I want to protect the floors from them without affecting the sound.