Ciare's HW321 woofers installed in klf-30

Alexander

On 12/5/2018 at 3:23 PM, moray james said:

given the lower efficiency of all these drivers I would not choose to use one in any of their sizes in a Klipsch. For the Chorus or the Jub the only suitable driver that I know of to be a drop in is the unit that Bob Crites sells. My experience with most audiophiles saying that they cannot hear any difference or that something is better is not in my view a reliable recommendation. Buy it and try it, if you are happy great. For me I want to see at least a response curve of the driver that needs replacing and any possible alternate and I also want the efficiency to match, xmax can be greater but not less in most cases. After that I will listen and determine for myself it the fit is a good one.

In KLIPSCH we trust, all others shall provide CURVES with details of how and other data.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/5/2018 at 12:23 PM, moray james said:

given the lower efficiency of all these drivers I would not choose to use one in any of their sizes in a Klipsch. For the Chorus or the Jub the only suitable driver that I know of to be a drop in is the unit that Bob Crites sells. My experience with most audiophiles saying that they cannot hear any difference or that something is better is not in my view a reliable recommendation. Buy it and try it, if you are happy great. For me I want to see at least a response curve of the driver that needs replacing and any possible alternate and I also want the efficiency to match, xmax can be greater but not less in most cases. After that I will listen and determine for myself it the fit is a good one.

Is there a place on this forum or elsewhere you know of where we might find the specs to the woofers of the KLF 30, 20, and in my case, the 10? The Ciare specs looked close to me (not that that says anything). Can you please tell us what it is you see that's off or less efficient?

12 hours ago, Randyh said:

Chief bonehead 

Well since I on the forum now......it is an updated woofer. The part number is

•  
  •  

The question marks were not for the part number though thanks.  I did not understand why you posted, then bumped, then posted it again three times in a row.  I guess you thought nobody would see it though maybe missing information because you hit submit before you actually put anything in your post??? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MechEngVic said:

Is there a place on this forum or elsewhere you know of where we might find the specs to the woofers of the KLF 30, 20, and in my case, the 10? The Ciare specs looked close to me (not that that says anything). Can you please tell us what it is you see that's off or less efficient?

Unfortunately no.  There was never a pinned thread like there is for Klipsch crossovers or impedance curves.  For KLF30 woofers, most I have seen are not correct.

4 hours ago, pzannucci said:

Unfortunately no.  There was never a pinned thread like there is for Klipsch crossovers or impedance curves.  For KLF30 woofers, most I have seen are not correct.

Not really, 

I posted this last month

"Years ago, Gil posted the JAES article on the Jubilee. Search for that. It lists all the T/S parameters. Those are correct measured specs for the K-31"

It is still correct. These are for the K-31s (also used on the Jubilees). I was told by an engineer at Klipsch that they are correct. 

One of the reasons for some of the part number changes over the years (possibly not all the reasons), was that the k-31 woofer when it was mounted in the Jubilee required a 1/4 inch gasket for clearance (between the woofer and the splitter). That combination of woofer and gasket necessitated other part number. 

• Like 1

The additional caveat is that the vendors have changed over the years. The original K-31s were manufactured by Pyle (at one time owned by Klipsch). Later they were made by someone else (although I understand that the specs and manufacturing jigs were the same). I think in more recent years there may have been another change in manufacturer. However, I stopped being concerned about it.