Lascala Oh, now I know

a9050lx

What they sound like in my living room.Smooth, Dynamic, musical.Currently using a 6CG7 Aikido preamp with a Tubelab Simple SE with the big Edcor single ended output transformers and 6L6GC Sovtek tubes.Code "P" with "AA" networks and rectangular badges.LS BR.1976 I assume.No water damage, slight chip in one side, candle wax drippings on the top, Heh heh.These are staying put in the living room for awhile. as in as long as I breathe!

• Like 5

I like it! When I had my last pair of LS, I powered them with a pair of Welborne Labs 2a3 Moondogs. Excellent output trannies. I pulled the mids down approx. 3db, which gave a much better tonal balance, i.e., gave you the feeling of more bass as you turned the gain back up. Simply magical sounding! Stand up bass was great, even Victor Wooten w/Flecktones was very satisfying.

Bruce

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

I like it! When I had my last pair of LS, I powered them with a pair of Welborne Labs 2a3 Moondogs. Excellent output trannies. I pulled the mids down approx. 3db, which gave a much better tonal balance, i.e., gave you the feeling of more bass as you turned the gain back up. Simply magical sounding! Stand up bass was great, even Victor Wooten w/Flecktones was very satisfying.

Bruce

For sure, drop the mids and treble a little.  If you can live without the lower octaves, they could be the speaker for you.  There are some trade offs for the dynamics.

45 minutes ago, Max2 said:

Two beat up LS's and a cheap sub will stomp a lot of very expensive setups out there. Toe them in, toe them out, put them in the back yard, doesn't matter, they just get it done in very clean fashion.

Good way of putting it! La Scalas just get it done in a very clean fashion!

IMAG3921.jpg

A "cheap sub" may work but if you want them to really shine you will need a proper horn loaded model for a seamless blend.

I have mine crossed over near 95 Hz because the sub does a much better job in the passband than the La Scala bass bin.

Look into Bob Crites  type A/4500 crossover if you can, it tames that K-400 nicely.