Klipschorns Need some info please

Don McPhee

Need some info please......  I am looking at a used pair of Klipschorns and was wondering if someone could tell  what year and wood finish this is and if you were buying him what’s fair market value? I’m told these are original somewhere in the 80s I believe and no hot rodding has been done . They are in immaculate condition not a mark anywhere that I can see.

Type is KBWO

Serial # 13S34

Appreciate yall’s help !

I track Khorn prices and the pictures indicate a really nice pair from 1978.

Khorns in good condition average $2139 plus/minus $200.  If you got those particular ones for $2500 that is not a crazy number.

Since the Khorns are stock then the Type AA crossovers (abbreviated as XO) will need updating to restore the factory sound which goes dull after 20 years or so.  Figure another $100 for parts if you do the soldering yourself.  Crites.com is the go-to place for an upgrade kit and service if you need more help refreshing the XO.  His prices are very reasonable.

3 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

I track Khorn prices and the pictures indicate a really nice pair from 1978.

Khorns in good condition average $2139 plus/minus $200.  If you got those particular ones for $2500 that is not a crazy number.

Since the Khorns are stock then the Type AA crossovers (abbreviated as XO) will need updating to restore the factory sound which goes dull after 20 years or so.  Figure another $100 for parts if you do the soldering yourself.  Crites.com is the go-to place for an upgrade kit and service if you need more help refreshing the XO.  His prices are very reasonable.

OK thank you, he is asking 2500 for them. My question is these are made to put in the room corners therefore the width of your speakers determines your listing area or sweet spot and there’s no adjustment to speaker adjustment unless you build faux corners correct??

9 minutes ago, Don McPhee said:

OK thank you, he is asking 2500 for them

I sold a pair from 1978 in black for $2400 that did not look as nice as those do.  $2500 is fair market value for a pair that nice looking.

My question is these are made to put in the room corners therefore the width of your speakers determines your listing area or sweet spot and there’s no adjustment to speaker adjustment unless you build faux corners correct??

Yes those are designed to be placed in corners on a long wall with nothing between the speakers.  That is optimum but most of us don't have optimum listening conditions.

My experience in my WAY less than perfect conditions was they sounded great.  I toed mine out somewhat towards the listening position. The bass was still so powerful a sub is not needed, and I think a sub is needed with every system.

Even though some people build a faux corner I've seen very few that weren't ugly.  A more popular mod is to enclose the back of the speaker allowing for more placement options.  Klipsch does this very thing for it's current Khorn models so it's a very solid suggestion.

1 minute ago, Don McPhee said:

Don’t think your text made it in the last replyDon’t think your text made it in the last reply

LOL!  You're too fast my friend!  I accidentally hit some buttons which posted my non-answer.  I edited the post to add a little more content.  B)

19 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

LOL!  You're too fast my friend!  I accidentally hit some buttons which posted my non-answer.  I edited the post to add a little more content.  B)

OK so a couple of comments ; you say that with most systems that you always have a sub in the mix  but with the K horn‘s none is needed. I’ve heard  others say that Lescala which has similar numbers people have commented that they were very weak at the bottom end .  That’s comforting to hear that this particular cabinet is solid in the-base department  .  Do most people stick with the stock drivers? I know with the Cornwall’s that the 55G  and the selenium 405 our common upgrades as and the 120 for the high-end is very popular as well .  I ask this because the speakers were just offered up to me out of the blue so I don’t know much about the history of these cabinets and what is commonly done and not done .

OK so a couple of comments ; you say that with most systems that you always have a sub in the mix  but with the K horn‘s none is needed. I’ve heard  others say that Lescala which has similar numbers people have commented that they were very weak at the bottom end .  That’s comforting to hear that this particular cabinet is solid in the-base department  .  Do most people stick with the stock drivers? I know with the Cornwall’s that the 55G  and the selenium 405 our common upgrades as and the 120 for the high-end is very popular as well .  I ask this because the speakers were just offered up to me out of the blue so I don’t know much about the history of these cabinets and what is commonly done and not done .

Go get them if you want them. Listen to them. I highly doubt you will want to make any changes. I'm convinced I need to update my original crossovers because of what most say here per age, but I have yet to pull the trigger because my Klipschorns sound so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$2500 is a decent price, don't see many available in your area.  If you are able to audition them first, that would be ideal to be sure all of the drivers are functional.  Updates could come later, but I would certainly recommend updating the crossovers, then think about other components.

8 minutes ago, tomy2 said:

I was going to say also if you need assitance in picking them up I can help. I don’t have a truck but would happily help you if you need an extra hand. 

Thank you for your offer that is very very nice of you. I found these in kind of the out-of-the-way shop that not very many people know about, I went there yesterday and All kinds of current and collectible audio equipment definitely a audiophiles paradise. 

2 hours ago, Don McPhee said:

you say that with most systems that you always have a sub in the mix  but with the K horn‘s none is needed. I’ve heard  others say that Lescala which has similar numbers people have commented that they were very weak at the bottom end .  That’s comforting to hear that this particular cabinet is solid in the-base department  .  

Do most people stick with the stock drivers? I know with the Cornwall’s that the 55G  and the selenium 405 our common upgrades as and the 120 for the high-end is very popular as well .  I ask this because the speakers were just offered up to me out of the blue so I don’t know much about the history of these cabinets and what is commonly done and not done .

Lots of great posts directly upstream!  Definitely take @tomy2up on his offer for a second person to help with the heavy lifting.  Khorns weigh 175 pounds and one person can scoot them around on carpet, or on bare floor with a large beach towel or furniture sliders.  But for loading and unload it's a two-man operation.

La Scala's do have weak bass but the Khorn has bass that will rattle the pictures right off the walls.  Not bloated bass either, but very accurate solid bass.  Nothing needs to be done with the bass bin in terms of upgrading the woofer.  A lot of people do put a new gasket seal in the bass bin, available from Crites.

Tweeter:  This is a mixed bag and some people do swap out the K-77 for a Crites CT-120 or CT-125.  I don't think you need to change a thing as the Khorns with the Type AA XO's have a very pleasant sound and can be played at ear bleed levels, or at normal listening levels.  I think the best reason to swap tweeters is if you want a different crossover such as the A/4500.  It lowers the XO point from 6000 Hz to 4500 Hz.  If you do this then a tweeter swap is necessary because the stock K-77 will blow up if played as low as 4500 Hz.  I can provide more detail at a later point if interested.

Mid-range:  Although some people do swap out the K-55v CD's, the stock one works fine.  I've not heard the 55G but several people have made that switch.  On between the screw-on CD and the horn there is a round rubber gasket that looks like the rubber gasket from a garden hose that gets cracked and non-pliable with age.  Crites offers those also for not much money.

Crossover:  This is the one change I think most 70's/80's Khorn owners will agree on.  After 20 years the old capacitors will lose deteriorate and with that, the sound will become more dull.  Keeping the same cap values and upgrading to newer components will bring the OEM sound back.

I suggest if you pick up these Khorns, just plug them in and enjoy them.  See how they sound to your ears in your house with your gear, at least for a few months.  You may like them the way they are.  There are many threads on how to hot rod your Khorns if you want, all it takes it money.  I think the stock Khorns will make most of its owners happy .