Klipschorns Need some info please

Don McPhee

If you have a corners in your room, I would not hesitate to buy them. If you don't there are work arounds and not all of them are ugly. 

Make sure all the drivers are working (test CD with single tones at low mid and high frequencies - listen for output and no "scratchiness").

If you get them remember that the "top hat" is removable from the bass bin (photograph and mark the wire going to the bass bin). Also be sure to remove the side grills on the bass bin. The grille structure is fragile and can't support much weight. At this point you will simply need a screw driver and a crescent wrench. Plenty of blankets, of course. Each side (assembled) will weigh about 175 lbs. 

Remember these are speakers that folks keep. At this point, do not spend any time worrying about upgrades. Eventually you might want to re-fresh the caps but that can be done at a reasonable cost. IMHO, I think folks spend way too much time messing with upgrades. They will sound fine in their stock form. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

If you have a corners in your room, I would not hesitate to buy them. If you don't there are work arounds and not all of them are ugly. 

Make sure all the drivers are working (test CD with single tones at low mid and high frequencies - listen for output and no "scratchiness").

If you get them remember that the "top hat" is removable from the bass bin (photograph and mark the wire going to the bass bin). Also be sure to remove the side grills on the bass bin. The grille structure is fragile and can't support much weight. At this point you will simply need a screw driver and a crescent wrench. Plenty of blankets, of course. Each side (assembled) will weigh about 175 lbs. 

Remember these are speakers that folks keep. At this point, do not spend any time worrying about upgrades. Eventually you might want to re-fresh the caps but that can be done at a reasonable cost. IMHO, I think folks spend way too much time messing with upgrades. They will sound fine in their stock form. 

I have one corner and can come up with something too create a corner on the other side. Currently I am running some Goldenear triton ones and I’ve been looking at Cornwall‘s for the last couple weeks as I really wanted to experience the whole Klipsch sound .  Then low and behold the owner of the local shop that I do business with was telling me about the K horns that he had and I should check them out. I’m assuming I would be happier with these then the Cornwall’s, not sure though.

I have one corner and can come up with something too create a corner on the other side. Currently I am running some Goldenear triton ones and I’ve been looking at Cornwall‘s for the last couple weeks as I really wanted to experience the whole Klipsch sound .  Then low and behold the owner of the local shop that I do business with was telling me about the K horns that he had and I should check them out. I’m assuming I would be happier with these then the Cornwall’s, not sure though.

In a word, YES. NOT even close. League of their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trouble with the Klipschorns is the rather low WAF. Bring em' home and most woman look at you like John Carradine was looking at John Wayne's charactor all through the movie The Shootist.

Like they're measuring you to see if you can be stuffed into them and then rolled into a 6'X3' hole in the back forty. Hacked into a couple of pieces if necessary. Other than that they sound great with tubes.

Undertaker.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wolfbane said:

Trouble with the Klipschorns is the rather low WAF. Bring em' home and most woman look at you like John Carradine was looking at John Wayne's charactor all through the movie The Shootist.

Haha ... suggest he bring in a pair of Pro speakers like KPT--904's first.  Then replace them with Khorns and the wife will LOVE them :D  OK; just HAVE to add this ... the Khorns don't sound as good :( )

Cheers, Emile

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

Like they're measuring you to see if you can be stuffed into them and then rolled into a 6'X3' hole in the back forty. Hacked into a couple of pieces if necessary. Other than that they sound great with tubes.

Undertaker.gif

My wife loves the look of Khorns.  And, they don't take up that much space when pushed all the way into corners.  On the bass: yes, if the recording has good bass, they can shake the floor, walls, and flap your pants legs in the wind they create.  But many recordings have attenuated bass, so you may need a bass control, or the like.

Dont forget if you do get them they need to be sealed into corners. Most use 1 inch pipe foam along the tail board and top edge of horizontal  bass bin board. Get new caps from Bob Crites and then be set the rest of your life. They look awesome in that pic.

Better git man!  Those are peachy!!!  Solid price, condition is great, AND you don't have to do all the upgrades right now if they play and sound fine.  Patience is a virtue!  You won't be sorry and can get your $$$ back if you ever want to sell.  It's win/win.  Move it or lose it!  You'll be one happy boy!  Left yet???  Pictures when they're all settled in please!  Now GO!  LOL

The K-400 is cast aluminum, the K-401 is an injection molded synthetic.

The are an exponential horn, and many have moved to a tractrix flare horn, which can sound more open. There is nothing really wrong with the 400/401 horns, but if overdriven,i.e., played very loud, can get a bit congested.

Bruce

Edited to correct my typing...