CL: Klipsch corner Speakers - $500 (Mendota IL)

Alexander

9 hours ago, babadono said:

@wvu80 in'n somebody get these for that price it's gonna mess up your spreadsheet. $500? just buy as an end table:)

For something that far off the normal price I list it in my price sheet with an "x" in front of the number.  That way I have a record but putting a letter in front keeps the number from being figured into the average.

But I like the way you think!  B)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, wvu80 said:

That way I have a record but putting a letter in front keeps the number from being figured into the average.

So you cook the books. I can understand if you omit ones with super modifications and gifts where a value would have to be determined, but if extremes are not a part of the data, then the numbers are not a true average of what has sold....are they?

1 hour ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

So you cook the books. I can understand if you omit ones with super modifications and gifts where a value would have to be determined, but if extremes are not a part of the data, then the numbers are not a true average of what has sold....are they?

Standard deviation would throw out statistical abnormalities like these especially in a low number data set like sales of klipschorns.

4 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

No, it is not cooking the books.  "Average" is not always a numeric average, there is Mean, Median and Mode.  My spreadsheet mostly tracks the average of speakers in Good condition. 

Technically I only include prices which are within two standard deviations of the mean within a bell curve on the same models.  That means that the average price consists of 96% of the speakers not including 2% of prices on each extreme.  I make a note of confirmed extreme sale prices but don't include speaker prices which are abnormally high or low.

There are some highly modded speakers in pristine condition which command a higher asking price.  Those cannot be compared price-wise to a bone stock speaker with dings or a beat up speaker with blown drivers and de-laminated cabs.  I keep detailed notes within the cells of the spreadsheet documenting the condition. 

Because I've had so many samples I've started another average within the model which tracks speakers in Poor condition.  I have separated La Scala's and Khorns into two distinct categories for just that reason as it makes the average for each condition more valid.  For instance Khorns with Type AA crossovers in Good Condition average $2139.  Khorns with Type AA XO's in Average to Poor Condition average $1450.

Most people are looking for what a speaker is worth, fair market value.  We all know we are dealing with used, not new so the prices are not going to be firm.  There are variables in the used market, such as motivated Buyer and willing Seller, that sort of thing.  If I get enough data samples a valid average within a range makes itself known.

The reader of my spreadsheet can see those notes and factor that into their decision making about what other similar speakers sell for.

Just got home from Mendota, IL with some beautiful K-horns. I need to make one final trip tomorrow to grab the other bass bin. I’ll post pics in a few days once I have it all set up. Many thanks to the OP for posting these!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Drewg said:

Just got home from Mendota, IL with some beautiful K-horns. I need to make one final trip tomorrow to grab the other bass bin. I’ll post pics in a few days once I have it all set up. Many thanks to the OP for posting these!

Congratulations

11 hours ago, Drewg said:

Glad one of us got them Drewg. Congrats and enjoy!

• Like 1

I'm angry I didn't see the post sooner! They were spoken for when I inquired. Good job Drewg!

Thanks! If it makes you feel better, by the time I called to tell her I’m coming for them, the woman who posted them gave me the “ahhh...ummm...before you do, my husband is really mad at me for posting the price way too low”.

So, once I recovered from the gut punch, and after some correspondence back and forth between her and her husband, who was researching selling prices on eBay, I ended up paying more than double her asking price, which was less than the figure the husband had in mind, but since they initially posted so low, they weren’t going to sell it to me for top dollar.

The price was still very fair, so I grabbed them.
  • Like 3