General Help with Speakers

Glide1340

I have an Onkyo TX-NR686 and I want to know if I can safely use this Klipsch speaker setup.
2 R-820F floor standers
2 R-51M bookshelf
1 R-120SW sub-woofer
and a RP-500C center channel
I am relatively new to this type of AVR configuration so please forgive my ignorance. My main concern is with the power specs of the R-820F's and the R-120SW speakers. I've included spec sheets for the components in question. Thanks in advance for any help.

R-120SW_Spec-Sheet_v01.pdf

R-820F_Spec-Sheet_v01.pdf

TX-NR686-Amplifier Section.docx

• Like 1

Hi Glide; welcome to the forum :D 

Pretty sure you will be just fine. Had an Onkyo TX-NR686 and used to run L/R Cornwall's on it plus back Heresy's and a center.  "Purists" may advise more power, but I run Pro KPT-904 speakers off a 52W/ch Marantz 2252 and it is awesome ... haha; recommended power for these is 800W/ch :) 

Cheers, Emile

• Thanks 1

The subwoofer has its own internal amplifier so the type of receiver you connect won't cause any issues with it.

When you're listening to music or watching a movie as long as you're not hearing audible distortion you won't be damaging anything.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Power ratings are.sorta.like top speed.ratings for your car.  Because it can drive 142, doesn't mean you will, or will need to.  You will likely be averaging 0.1 watts/channel and peaking at 10.  100 watts/ch is plenty and well more than enough.  Should the Onkyo be only capable of delivering 60w/ch with all channels driven (very common), it is still plenty and more than enough. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2018 at 4:20 PM, Emile said:

Hi Glide; welcome to the forum :D 

Pretty sure you will be just fine. Had an Onkyo TX-NR686 and used to run L/R Cornwall's on it plus back Heresy's and a center.  "Purists" may advise more power, but I run Pro KPT-904 speakers off a 52W/ch Marantz 2252 and it is awesome ... haha; recommended power for these is 800W/ch :) 

Cheers, Emile

I can attest to this.  His setup with the Marantz and the 904's is amazing.

Even just one third of the power being applied, these speakers thump hard enough to move your clothing around.  Klipsch is definitely the brand of speaker to go with, if you don't have a MacIntosh setup.

• Haha 1