Frying Turkey..... Stuffed with Stuffing

Gilbert

Anyone ever try it with the prepared stuffing already inside?

My wife told me that a friend of hers told her that she heard from a friend of another friend (you know how that goes) that it can be done.  So, if your experienced and feeling friendly please share your experience.

36 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Nope, big mistake.  Give some thought to what a ball of soft bread will look and taste like after being fried in very hot oil for over 30 minutes?

I came to the same conclusion, but my wife is convinced otherwise...... 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

she heard from a friend of another friend (you know how that goes) that it can be done.

They left out the part where it all came apart in the grease and burned the house down, minor detail. :o

The whole turkey frying thing is stupid, It might taste OK but do you want to add the cost of 4-5 gallons of oil to the cost of your turkey? Unless you're doing a bunch it's crazy, watch how long it takes for your used oil to start growing because of all the turkey oil and pieces in it, so there is no saving the oil.

Not even counting dangerous, well if you consider a few gallons of oil over an open flame and most people with no experience doing this dangerous?

Think of the science of how frying works.  The moisture content of the breading would have to match up with that of the turkey, plus account for its placement inside the bird.  There is only a small chance it could turn out right for both.  Sure, as carl says the wife is right, but that doesn't mean you should attempt it yourself.  Go with your instoncts and let someone else screw it up.

Researched the subject. Stuffing inside is a major no no. As I thought it was, but I know there's a lot of crazy mofo's on this forum and thought, "well maybe?" someone like Dtel may have figured out a way. .... But the research consistently came back with a resounding "Definitly not a good idea".

The Turkey would have to cook longer, because the oil won't make it to the breast cavity, and the dressing would be cremated by the time the turkey is fully cooked.

Dtel, I hear yea. The oil is pricey, even at Costco where it's the cheapest, about $35 per jug. One jug is about 4 gals.

I cook the turkeys outside, we live on a good size piece of property so I'm well away from the house, I also use peanut oil. Keep a fire extinguisher close by.

The wife helps me strain the oil for reuse, and I'll store it back in the same jug. I buy 1 jug a year, and use it 2x.... on rare occasions 3x when wife's cousins ask us to for Xmas day. It's always a big hit.

I inject with mixture of Creol cajun seasoning and butter, it never last long. People scarf it up, particularly the dark meat.... my favorite. Wife or relatives usually prep the stuffing in a casserole dish. About 18 to 20 lbs turkey will get clobbered in one setting on xmas.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

The wife helps me strain the oil for reuse,

So straining the oil works to keep it, I guess so since you tried it already. I would have thought the turkey would have contaminated it to store, I guess maby the boiling oil burns off everything but the solid pieces which you strain off?

I would guess with stuffing it would never work, it does not even work well in the oven like that much less floating around absorbing oil. Never even thought about the cooking time of both being different, but fried stuffing does not sound so great.

I did try it many years ago (no stuffing :mellow2:) and was worried about reusing the oil later so it was only used once, I could have bought a fried turkey cheaper.

Not everyone is smart enough to fry a turkey, every year you hear of people burning a house or themselves, I have to say it is a little dangerous, really dangerous if you're stupid. :huh2:

I have been frying ours for the last 30 years or so. Strain the oil through a paint filter (can be free from NAPA) and reuse it as Gilbert suggests. We have cooked with the oil over the period of a year at least I'd say, but we always strain it each time and store it in a nice cool place in the basement.

As for taste, I just haven't found a better way to cook a turkey than frying it. I have smoked a few that received excellent reviews, but frying one is king around here.

Make chicken and dressing as a side dish to eat with you fried turkey. :)

• Like 1

• Moderators
18 hours ago, JL Sargent said:

I have been frying ours for the last 30 years or so. Strain the oil through a paint filter (can be free from NAPA) and reuse it as Gilbert suggests. We have cooked with the oil over the period of a year at least I'd say, but we always strain it each time and store it in a nice cool place in the basement.

I had no idea, I was scared to try it, you learn something new every day. :emotion-21:

• Like 1