Looking for an budget amp for my Heresy 1s

zcmckenna

• Moderators

I had a feeling that's what it was, they sound great to a certain point. The little T-amp I had was rated at 10 wpc I think it was, and really good for a little more than half of that before having a problem. 

I purchased one of these this past year and have to say it sounds amazing. If you are OK with components from China i would most certainly check out this guys ebay store. If he able to clone other manufacturers devices like he has this Pass design , I dont think you will find a better value. Now I do not know how long this stuff holds up but I do know it delivers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PASS-AM-10W-10W-Class-A-Audio-Power-Amplifier-Hifi-AMP-Balanced-input/222153666558?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D1e1eacf72ef440a683e880a959d7b35c%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D222153666558%26itm%3D222153666558&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

On 12/4/2018 at 2:01 PM, zcmckenna said:

I have the speakers set up in my bedroom, so a smaller space.

I use CD player and Streaming mostly, but have a turntable i occasionally use

New or used is fine for me, i do like the look and feel of the older amps

I am in Denver, Colorado

-Zach

Denver usually has a pretty decent offering of vintage tube amps. Keep an eye out on Clist. The springs is a good market too because they don’t sell well there for some reason so you tend to get a better deal when they pop up. Integrated el84  Scott, eico are my favorites and can be had for

5-600$ just try to find one that’s been restored or you will have to have that done. Have fun!

Mark

On 12/4/2018 at 3:39 PM, zcmckenna said:

So if I end up going with the A-100 I wouldn't need a preamp. Would it be a good idea to get a DAC since I am planning on streaming a lot of music? I have heard the Schiit Modi 3 is a pretty good budget DAC, any thoughts on that?

The ta-100 has a built in dac and alot of other things. You can add bluetooth very cheaply and it has balance and bass and treble for crappy rooms.  Lots of inputs and a phono stage. For the money hard to beat!

On 12/4/2018 at 4:35 PM, jason str said:

$250 is not enough for good separates, even used. Maybe one or the other if you can find a deal.

$250 is enough for a nice used receiver or maybe integrated amplifier, i suggest you either save more cash or go with something used. Lots more options out there that way so you can get those Heresy to sing.

I'm just following along. So how many watt receiver should power these little boys?

OK; maybe a little late, but here's my 2 cents :D 

Look into a vintage receiver like Marantz or Yamaha.  Have a Yamaha CR-620 (35W/ch, $100 off CList) hooked up to my "rear" Cornwall's ... AWESOME.  And have a Marantz 2238B (38W/ch, $200 off FleaBay;OK, was cheap ... was missing 2 knobs and AM is not working) hooked up to (modified) RF-7 horns/woofers ... EXCELLENT :D 

Cheers, Emile

Does anyone think the very budget friendly suggestions in here would sound better musically than my Onkyo TX-SR606 which to me comes off as a laid back Onkyo kinda sound? I'm curious and learning...for RP-260F. 

Issue with me (for non DAC equipped) is the Onkyo has a DAC and i'm coming out of a laptop via HDMI. I do have a Schiit Fulla2 I could use though. 

Check out the Nelson Pass Amp Camp Amp.  https://diyaudiostore.com/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218  This is the new 8 Watt per channel version that is an easy to build kit for $327.  Mine is an earlier 6 Watt version that sounds very nice with my Heresy II.  Eight Watts into 96 DB/W/M will give you 105 DB/8W/M, which is plenty loud.  It's dead quiet, and sounds fantastic to my ears.  This is especially true at it's price.  Reviews are excellent.