Cheap amps that aren't UL certified. Safe?

ODS123

Thinking of buying my son an inexpensive integrated amp for Christmas to use in his dorm with an old pair of PSB Alphas.  I see many cute little class-D amps on Amazon and elsewhere (some for as little as $80) however when you look at the back panel (or at their power pack) none of them are UL (underwriters laboratory) certified?  Should this give me pause??  I can't help but worry about plugging something into a wall made by a mfg. who has opted NOT to get this certification.  Pretty much EVERY appliance in my home (coffee makers, blender, toaster, all my audio gear, etc.. ) does, but not these cheapy amps.  Thoughts?

Northeastern Univ. has already had one dorm burn down this fall, I'd hate to be the cause of another :)

3 hours ago, Don Richard said:

If it doesn't plug into 120 VAC it does not need UL certification. The wall wart or external PS should be rated.

I was wondering about that.

Like was mentioned in that thread I posted, it's very difficult to find individual parts that are not UL listed. So even if it's DIY or something commercial that's not UL listed, it's not very likely that it's going to go up in flames.

In my lifetime, I've had several hi-fi pieces go up in flames. Being UL listed didn't guarantee failure.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 7:47 AM, Don Richard said:

If it doesn't plug into 120 VAC it does not need UL certification. The wall wart or external PS should be rated.

The UL listing ensures a certain level of testing for short circuits and voltage to insure you don't get electrocuted.  Most small amps use an external PS which will be rated.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:34 AM, ODS123 said:

Thinking of buying my son an inexpensive integrated amp for Christmas to use in his dorm with an old pair of PSB Alphas.  I see many cute little class-D amps on Amazon and elsewhere (some for as little as $80) however when you look at the back panel (or at their power pack) none of them are UL (underwriters laboratory) certified?  Should this give me pause??  I can't help but worry about plugging something into a wall made by a mfg. who has opted NOT to get this certification.  Pretty much EVERY appliance in my home (coffee makers, blender, toaster, all my audio gear, etc.. ) does, but not these cheapy amps.  Thoughts?

Northeastern Univ. has already had one dorm burn down this fall, I'd hate to be the cause of another :)

Here’s an odd one for you to ponder:  Amplifiers from an Allen organ.

I picked up 6 (yes, SIX) Model S-100 amps from another member here.  They are 100 watt RMS mono blocks, and work really well, surprisingly.  They are also inexpensive on eBay.

On 12/5/2018 at 9:08 AM, Panelhead said:

Knock, knock on wood. Have used mainly DIY amps, preamps, and phono stages for 20 years. No smoke so far.

My buddy's $10,000 Audio Research Class D superamp just went up in smoke. I'm sure that was UL certified. Luck he has a spare.

• Sad 1