Cornwall II right channel fuzzing in and out - where do I start troubleshooting? (sample audio/video)

roughlytraded

Hoping the forum can help me narrow down an issue I've been having with my right speaker. The volume keeps cutting in and out, producing static and fuzz. Check out the video (unmute to hear): 

https://imgur.com/gallery/E637vSk?s=sms

I've tried using different speaker wire, the static went away for a day and just came back. I'm using 12 gauge into a pair of Cornwall II speakers, its a tight fit but I"m able to get it into the small hole of the binding posts with minimum difficulty. I just ordered some 16 gauge wire to swap in as a test -- is that a possible reason for the problem though?

It only happens with the right speaker, never the left. Sound is coming from a Marantz 2230 that I bought fully restored a year ago, so I hope it isn't the receiver. Anything else I should try to isolate this?

• Moderators

If it's not that hard, start by switching the speaker wire or speakers, if it stays on the same side it's not the speaker.

If it follows one speaker, listen to each driver to see if it is the mid, tweeter or all three. If it stays with one speaker I would check the wiring in that speaker, all the connections, wiggle clean and see if that helps. Just trying to narrow it down by eliminating as much as you can. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

definitely NOT related to speaker wire gauge.  Like dtel suggested you need to first rule out the amplifier as the culprit.  Swap the cables - either at the speaker end or at the amplifier binding posts.  If indeed a speaker, then as dtel suggested.

Your Marantz 2230's volume, balance, treble, source selector, or other knobs may be causing the static/fuzz. When the receiver is off, rotate all knobs back and forth a lot. This will 'clean' any dust that has settled in the potentiometers.

I have to do this from time to time with my Harman Kardon 730. Even a restored vintage receiver can produce this symptom.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Rivernuggets said:

Your Marantz 2230's volume, balance, treble, source selector, or other knobs may be causing the static/fuzz. When the receiver is off, rotate all knobs back and forth a lot. This will 'clean' any dust that has settled in the potentiometers.

I have to do this from time to time with my Harman Kardon 730. Even a restored vintage receiver can produce this symptom.

^^^This.^^^

• Moderators

True, and if you want to open it up a little spray some of this before working the knob back and forth a good bit.

If you spray it, unplug it first spray and wait about 10 minutes for it to dry up and air out while working the knob. Because the noise will be worse if you catch it on fire !  :o:unsure2:

06400249_00_1024x1024.jpg

• Like 2

On 12/7/2018 at 11:26 AM, Rivernuggets said:

i installed the 16 gauge wire and it sounded fine for a few days, then the fuzz came back. i just turned everything off and rotated all the knobs about 30x each -- fuzz disappeared. should i still swap the cables at the amp end and wait for the fuzz to come back? 

On 12/5/2018 at 12:29 AM, dtel said:

If it's not that hard, start by switching the speaker wire or speakers, if it stays on the same side it's not the speaker.

If it follows one speaker, listen to each driver to see if it is the mid, tweeter or all three. If it stays with one speaker I would check the wiring in that speaker, all the connections, wiggle clean and see if that helps. Just trying to narrow it down by eliminating as much as you can. 

Hey dtel! I just wanted to have dubious pleasure of giving you your 20,000th rep point. 😁😁😁

Anyway....I once knew of a Marantz 1150D that had a loose/bad ground on the volume knob. Gave it a good rap with knuckles and it usually came back.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Mighty Favog said:

Hey dtel! I just wanted to have dubious pleasure of giving you your 20,000th rep point. 😁😁😁

Anyway....I once knew of a Marantz 1150D that had a loose/bad ground on the volume knob. Gave it a good rap with knuckles and it usually came back.

Well Thank you, it's my pleasure to be here with all of you, it's like being around people with the same crazy hobby which is hard to come by in real life. Thanks

I have to be honest, I don't use a phone other forums or facebook so I had no idea what this was all about and didn't pay attention to it. A few months after that started I didn't know what that bell looking thing at the top right with the red thing that had numbers changing in it was about so I clicked on it and found out. The next thing was I felt guilty, people were giving me likes and I had never used that part myself. :blush: So I started using it and found it is nice to appreciate something said or agree without needing a post, you all are dragging me into the future even if I am still really late catching on. Thanks

• Like 1

• Moderators
23 hours ago, roughlytraded said:

i installed the 16 gauge wire and it sounded fine for a few days, then the fuzz came back. i just turned everything off and rotated all the knobs about 30x each -- fuzz disappeared. should i still swap the cables at the amp end and wait for the fuzz to come back? 

I would just wait, I think you found your problem if it does come back get some of that spray and clean the inside of the knobs, or just for prevention. Just take the cover off and look inside behind the knob and you should be able to see the working part of the knob.Unplug and spray that part good and work it alot as spraying and after, let dry completely before plugging in. That stuff is flammable but does work, well it did for me a couple of times. 

Not that's it's really needed but you could also put back your other wire, hope it fixes your problem. :emotion-21:

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Dave1290 said:

@dtel20003 and counting...  Congrats!   :)

You guys are funny, I had to go look when Mighty Favog said something, I don't bother looking, like post count you can add all that up and it's still 0 in the end. A new person once sent me a PM asking a question and he said he asked me because of my post count. :o I told him post count means nothing as far as what I know, it only shows how many times I posted and I didn't know his answer. I told him sorry but post it on the forum, it's where I get my answers from. :emotion-21:

Like why did this change to the different font as I was typing and now seemed to change back? 

I know I suck at typing and spelling, my wife always says " why do type and post like that, it makes you look stupid " well I do it because it's how I talk and I don't care what people think, when I meet them in person they will figure it out one way or another. It seems the older you get the less you care about some things. 

Actually, I talk a little different, it's a good thing accents don't completely show up in a post.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dtel said:

You guys are funny, I had to go look when Mighty Favog said something, I don't bother looking, like post count you can add all that up and it's still 0 in the end. A new person once sent me a PM asking a question and he said he asked me because of my post count. :o I told him post count means nothing as far as what I know, it only shows how many times I posted and I didn't know his answer. I told him sorry but post it on the forum, it's where I get my answers from. :emotion-21:

Like why did this change to the different font as I was typing and now seemed to change back? 

I know I suck at typing and spelling, my wife always says " why do type and post like that, it makes you look stupid " well I do it because it's how I talk and I don't care what people think, when I meet them in person they will figure it out one way or another. It seems the older you get the less you care about some things. 

Actually, I talk a little different, it's a good thing accents don't completely show up in a post.  

There's a certain button on my Apple computer that will completely change the font style. I've accidentally hit it a few times, abut I still don't know where that button is 😀

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

There's a certain button on my Apple computer that will completely change the font style. I've accidentally hit it a few times, abut I still don't know where that button is 😀

I think that's what happened, I hit something accidentally? No Mac just standard windoz

I know how to do it with the buttons on this page but that was something on the keyboard, who knows, it could have been worse, I hit something.