KI-396-SMA-II Owners. EQ Tips?

Lost240

Hi Everyone, 

I recently purchased 3 KI-396-SMA-IIs for my front stage of my home theater. They are behind a 135" 16X9 acoustically transparent screen. They are being fed by my Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 receiver that is acting as the preamp and fed into my Monoprice Monolith 7 channel amp. They are being run as small and crossed over at 80hz to my 2 R115 SWs. I tried running MCACC and that royally screwed up the EQ. I have tried running them flat with no EQ (too bright sounding) and I have also turned down 2khz and 4khz -5db as well as 8 down -2db and 16 down -2db. This has provided the best results so far but there is still what my brother would refer to as "sizzle" to the top end. Is there anything else I can try? At this point I am thinking it may be my receiver that is bright sounding since when I tried these in stereo with my tube separates they sounded great. Any input would be appreciated. 

You can try putting the little microphone at about a yard in front of the loudspeaker and centered from top to bottom, then rerun MCACC.  Perhaps you'll get better results with the software not having to weed through the room modes and early reflections. 

Other than that, if you had a calibrated microphone, you could run REW or similar freeware and see what the issues are. 

Chris