How much toe-in do you use

buf

On 12/26/2018 at 10:47 AM, WillyBob said:

Still experimenting with my LaScalas.

They are 13 feet apart in a 12 X 25 room. 9 feet from MLP.   Toed in slightly.   Like I said... still experimenting.   Setting them in corners is not a possibility. ... doorways and windows. We tend to sit on the floor. Horns at eye level.

Suggestions are welcome.

Have you tried varying your distance from the speakers?  The very general rule about stereo speaker placement suggests that the positions of the speakers and the listener should form an equilateral triangle, meaning in your case that you would sit so that your head is about 13 feet from each speaker.  As for toe-in, the starting point would be to have the speakers aimed directly at the listening position, thus forming a 30 degree angle inward from straight ahead.

As I said, that's just a starting suggestion.  If you're still experimenting, it's a good idea to take notes, since, for me anyway, once you have more than two choices, it's easy to get them mixed up.  Maybe try sitting 10, 12, 13, 15 feet from the speakers and note how the sound and soundstage changes.  Is a particular instrument over-emphasized, or instead, maybe lost in the mix?  Is it easy to sense where each player is located?  Do the instruments seem the normal size?  Most instruments, other than pianos, sit in the player's arms.  If a guitar sounds like it's ten feet wide, or a singer is similarly odd-sized, something is not right.  You may find that the arrangement you're currently using suits you best, or further away may be equally good in different ways.

Preferences can also change over time.  And these are preferences.  Once you're in the ballpark, where in the park you and your speakers sit is up to you.

• Thanks 1

On 1/15/2019 at 9:51 AM, mopardave said:

When your measuring from side wall are you measuring to outside of speakers or center of drivers?

I'm not sure what you mean.  Did you mean the side walls of the room, or the side walls of the speakers?  Other than degree of toe-in, the only distance I mentioned was the distance from the front wall (the wall behind the speakers) to the nearest corner of each speaker.  Since the speakers are toed-in, that would be the inboard rear corners.

Before turning the speakers to the preferred angle of toe-in, I do make sure that the listening position is equidistant from each speaker, but as long as I choose to measure from the same spot on each speaker, the actual spot doesn't matter.  As it happens, I usually measure distance from between the speakers, and from them to where I sit, using the centres of the bass horns.  The point of the front Vee of the La Scala doghouse makes an accurate spot that's easy to see.  In effect, that's the centre of the woofer.  Trying to measure from the centre of the squawker or tweeter horns requires an extra step to be sure you're measuring from the exact centre of the horn.

The 402 JubScala II speakers are located 11.5 feet apart, measured from the point of the bass doghouse Vee (the doghouse is where the woofer lives, of course).  From the point of the Vee of each speaker to the listening position is 12 feet, and they're toed in about 25 degrees.  That seems best in my room with my speakers.  Everyone else's setup will naturally be somewhat different from that.

3 hours ago, Islander said:

I'm not sure what you mean.  Did you mean the side walls of the room, or the side walls of the speakers?  Other than degree of toe-in, the only distance I mentioned was the distance from the front wall (the wall behind the speakers) to the nearest corner of each speaker.  Since the speakers are toed-in, that would be the inboard rear corners.

Before turning the speakers to the preferred angle of toe-in, I do make sure that the listening position is equidistant from each speaker, but as long as I choose to measure from the same spot on each speaker, the actual spot doesn't matter.  As it happens, I usually measure distance from between the speakers, and from them to where I sit, using the centres of the bass horns.  The point of the front Vee of the La Scala doghouse makes an accurate spot that's easy to see.  In effect, that's the centre of the woofer.  Trying to measure from the centre of the squawker or tweeter horns requires an extra step to be sure you're measuring from the exact centre of the horn.

The 402 JubScala II speakers are located 11.5 feet apart, measured from the point of the bass doghouse Vee (the doghouse is where the woofer lives, of course).  From the point of the Vee of each speaker to the listening position is 12 feet, and they're toed in about 25 degrees.  That seems best in my room with my speakers.  Everyone else's setup will naturally be somewhat different from that.

Sorry, what I was asking was, when you measure your speakers from the left and right side walls, are you measuring between the wall and the outer side of the speaker or from the wall over to the center of the speaker front(drivers)?   You answered above.  thanks

15 hours ago, mopardave said:

Sorry, what I was asking was, when you measure your speakers from the left and right side walls, are you measuring between the wall and the outer side of the speaker or from the wall over to the center of the speaker front(drivers)?   You answered above.  thanks

My room is a bit odd.  It’s open to two corridors on the right side, and has a window and baseboard heater on the left side.  Since the right speaker gets no wall-caused bass boost, because the wall is far away, I don’t want the left speaker to have any corner reinforcement from the wall on that side.  Accordingly, the left speaker is about five feet from the room wall on that side (measured from the point of the doghouse Vee), and both speakers are toed-in.

This placement seems to work, since the output from both speakers is a pretty close match, measured from the listening position.

7 hours ago, Islander said:

My room is a bit odd.  It’s open to two corridors on the right side, and has a window and baseboard heater on the left side.  Since the right speaker gets no wall-caused bass boost, because the wall is far away, I don’t want the left speaker to have any corner reinforcement from the wall on that side.  Accordingly, the left speaker is about five feet from the room wall on that side (measured from the point of the doghouse Vee), and both speakers are toed-in.

This placement seems to work, since the output from both speakers is a pretty close match, measured from the listening position.

Ok. I understand.  I have my Supers in my computer room which is only 8x10.  They sound very nice in that little room.

• Like 1