Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
K5SS

Huawei's CFO arrested in Canada. Thoughts?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

Bullshit

It's not the same thing as when you're driving on the public roadways. As far as a home: In your home, I don't care if you're snorting Drano or performing oral pleasures on farm animals.. I'd rather not know.  But when people are driving on public roads, then they aren't in their homes.

 

 

So then I guess it's ok since they're going to stop you to perform a random breathalyzer, then they might as well take a bit of urine and maybe a blood sample too.  Oh, and check to see if you're a legal alien.  Maybe they could ask what party you voted for in the last election.  I am as staunchly opposed to drunk/impaired driving as you are, make no mistake, but I am also opposed to the breakdown of my rights to privacy and individual freedom.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

It wasn't the far right in power when they burned that place. 

Not the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Not what he is saying, not at all.  Want the cops to come to your door with a long list of what you "might" be doing?  Same thing.  Bullshit.

 

Correct! The issue here is effective December 18th, all police agencies in Canada can stop anyone traveling down the road, or even just sitting in their car and without 'reasonable cause' force them to take an breath test and produce their saliva. Any attempt to object, even without uttering a single word, can result in you being considered as 'refusing to take a sobriety test' and in the summary seizure of your vehicle along with automatic charges of being under the influence of an intoxicating substance. There is no longer any requirement for the police, if they suspect impairment, to perform any road side testing (i.e. smell your breath, check your eyes and affect, walk a straight line, etc.) prior to subjecting you to tactics that would not be out of the norm in a totalitarian dictatorship. This is the equivalent of fishing for salmon by draining the ocean, by-catch be damned. Someone wondered if they will also have the power to force a blood and/or urine sample. Yes they will have the option of doing exactly that.

 

There will be serious abuses here, especially to those in our society that are already the most marginalized. People of color, first nations and the young. I certainly don't drive anywhere under the influence... but this is also going to end up being the case of the vast majority of people that own a motor vehicle and are stopped to be 'cleared' under this ridiculous law.

 

Quite simply 'the law is an A$$' in this regard and needs to be challenged and hopefully overturned in our court system.

 

"Major Strassor has been shot!" "Forget the usual suspects, round up everyone!"

 

Wb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife has been broadsided twice while driving within a few blocks of our house. She suffered physically and I suffered financially both times. One texting, one speeding thru a 4-way stop. I sought my justice with an attorney both times. But how could a life be replaced? What were our rights? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T2K said:

My wife has been broadsided twice while driving within a few blocks of our house. She suffered physically and I suffered financially both times. One texting, one speeding thru a 4-way stop. I sought my justice with an attorney both times. But how could a life be replaced? What were our rights? 

 

Probably texting while blowing through the 4 way stop? I hope that your wife was not badly hurt and that your attorney gave them both a good financial spanking.

 

Wb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Wolfbane said:

 

Probably texting while blowing through the 4 way stop? I hope that your wife was not badly hurt and that your attorney gave them both a good financial spanking.

 

Wb

 

Thanks for the kind thoughts. She still suffers from the first accident in the early 90's. I spoke with the insurance company for the speeding kid of wealthy parents and they were a-holes. They furnished a rental car for one week. They accused me of money grubbing(for lack of a better phrase). The next time they phoned our home I told them to never call my home again and if they did try to contact us I would consider their call harassment and would seek satisfaction. Saw an attorney and told him my primary concern was to harass the insurance company for as long as possible, understanding that his firm had to pay the bills. We settled 2 years later, for a pittance.

 

I don't know what the answer is. I do know the duds screw things up for the dids.

 

Keith

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, T2K said:

 

Thanks for the kind thoughts. She still suffers from the first accident in the early 90's. I spoke with the insurance company for the speeding kid of wealthy parents and they were a-holes. They furnished a rental car for one week. They accused me of money grubbing(for lack of a better phrase). The next time they phoned our home I told them to never call my home again and if they did try to contact us I would consider their call harassment and would seek satisfaction. Saw an attorney and told him my primary concern was to harass the insurance company for as long as possible, understanding that his firm had to pay the bills. We settled 2 years later, for a pittance.

 

I don't know what the answer is. I do know the duds screw things up for the dids.

 

Keith

 

 

Nothing worse than an entitled child. Look at that kid from Texas that killed several people driving drunk whose mother then assisted his flight to Mexico. The 'learned judge' at his first trial accepted a plea of 'affluenza' and tapped him gently on the wrist. I suspect that Judge Roy Bean would have dealt with him in an appropriate manner.

 

Wb

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

So then I guess it's ok since they're going to stop you to perform a random breathalyzer

They do this already. 

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

then they might as well take a bit of urine and maybe a blood sample too. 

Not sure what they can or will do to test for the drugged drivers. What would you want the police to do if it seems to be driving under the influence of drugs, prescribed or not? 

 

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Oh, and check to see if you're a legal alien. 

If they are being stopped for a moving violation or suspension if DUI (I wish they could do more about the phone distraction too), then, yes, they should be able to make sure someone is legal to drive and are here legally, or have any warrants. 

 

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

Maybe they could ask what party you voted for in the last election. 

Please stop with the extreme silly statements and I will too...or I'll at least try to stop myself 🤪

4 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

I am as staunchly opposed to drunk/impaired driving as you are, make no mistake, but I am also opposed to the breakdown of my rights to privacy and individual freedom.   

Then what do you want the police to do when there is still such a problem that results in victims of other people's actions such as DUI? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

Probably texting while blowing through the 4 way stop? I hope that your wife was not badly hurt and that your attorney gave them both a good financial spanking.

 

Wb

As I read it, T2K was hurt financially and his bride was hurt physically and she is still suffering...since the 90s, that's a long time of suffering. This type of thing is what bothers me, and like Keith asked: How can you replace a life and what about safe and sober people's rights?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, T2K said:

I spoke with the insurance company for the speeding kid of wealthy parents and they were a-holes.

I was talking with someone yesterday morning about how punishment isn't felt the same due to financial differences. 

 

Sorry about your wife's suffering. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

How can you replace a life and what about safe and sober people's rights?  

 

The answer is not introduction of a police state in place of democracy. It's called use of 'reasonable suspicion' and if required 'due process' when enforcing laws. I have no interest in living in a Nanny State: Eat your peas... don't run holding a fork.

 

Wb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jimjimbo said:

So then I guess it's ok since they're going to stop you to perform a random breathalyzer, then they might as well take a bit of urine and maybe a blood sample too.  Oh, and check to see if you're a legal alien.  Maybe they could ask what party you voted for in the last election.  I am as staunchly opposed to drunk/impaired driving as you are, make no mistake, but I am also opposed to the breakdown of my rights to privacy and individual freedom.   

Not here in nys...  aliens are welcome with open arms and free everything

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had to through this in....   all people need to become active in the gov... and not sit back and let others.....

 

Once the religious, the hunted and weary
Chasing the promise of freedom and hope
Came to this country to build a new vision
Far from the reaches of kingdom and pope
Like good Christians, some would burn the witches
Later some got slaves to gather riches

But still from near and far to seek America
They came by thousands to court the wild
And she just patiently smiled and bore a child
To be their spirit and guiding light

 
 

And once the ties with the crown had been broken
Westward in saddle and wagon it went
And 'til the railroad linked ocean to ocean
Many the lives which had come to an end
While we bullied, stole and bought our a homeland
We began the slaughter of the red man

But still from near and far to seek America
They came by thousands to court the wild
And she just patiently smiled and bore a child
To be their spirit and guiding light

The blue and grey they stomped it
They kicked it just like a dog
And when the war over
They stuffed it just like a hog

And though the past has it's share of injustice
Kind was the spirit in many a way
But it's protectors and friends have been sleeping
Now it's a monster and will not obey

(Suicide)
The spirit was freedom and justice
And it's keepers seem generous and kind
It's leaders were supposed to serve the country
But now they won't pay it no mind
'Cause the people grew fat and got lazy
And now their vote is a meaningless joke
They babble about law and order
But it's all just an echo of what they've been told
Yeah, there's a monster on the loose
It's got our heads into a noose
And it just sits there watchin'

Our cities have turned into jungles
And corruption is stranglin' the land
The police force is watching the people
And the people just can't understand
We don't know how to mind our own business
'Cause the whole worlds got to be just like us
Now we are fighting a war over there
No matter who's the winner
We can't pay the cost
'Cause there's a monster on the loose
It's got our heads into a noose
And it just sits there watching

(America)
America where are you now?
Don't you care about your sons and daughters?
Don't you know we need you now
We can't fight alone against the monster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Woofers and Tweeters said:

I was talking with someone yesterday morning about how punishment isn't felt the same due to financial differences. 

 

Sorry about your wife's suffering. 

 

Thanks. There's a lot to the story. The smart a$$ insurance woman's comment pi$$ed me off, not even considering my wife's injuries.

Back to the scene. The kids Mama arrived and immediately asked what my wife had done to her son. My wife said the officer jumped on mama's a$$. The car was $600 from totaled. They wanted to repair it because it was pristine with very low mileage. After the insurance woman's smart comment I told her all I wanted was a cream puff Honda with very few miles that no one except my wife had ever driven. Exactly what we owned and had paid for prior to her clients skipping school and running a stop sign and crashing into my wife. She said that was not possible.

 

Later I drove to the Honda dealership and asked if my wrecked car would be less valuable after repaired. He said of course. I asked him to estimate the loss in value. He said $1000 dollars. I asked if he would put that on paper with dealership letterhead. He did. I mailed the letter to the insurance company and they mailed me a check for $1000 as fast as lightening.

 

We are responsible for our negligence while driving. I don't know what the answer is but the actions of a few are a burden for the many.

 

Keith

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Wolfbane said:

 

Bet you they can’t do this in Hawaii:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4730737/canadas-new-impaired-driving-law-civil-rights/amp/

 

I’m looking forward to the inevitable court challenge(s). Unconstitutional is written all over this kind of massive over reach.

 

Wb

On the other hand, there have been holdings that driving is a privilege and not a right, and yada, yada, etc.  You know where it's going once that phrase is uttered.

 

What's behind this?  The same-old, "If you don't have anything to hide, it won't hurt you."  Plus, eliminating the lengthy and arduous part of the legal process where defendants try to challenge probable cause to obtain dismissals.  If you have no rights, they can't be offended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

"If you don't have anything to hide, it won't hurt you."

LOL.  But if you do, lie your *** off and tweet incessantly about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2018 at 11:28 AM, whatever55 said:

I just had to through this in....   all people need to become active in the gov... and not sit back and let others.....

 

Once the religious, the hunted and weary
Chasing the promise of freedom and hope
Came to this country to build a new vision
Far from the reaches of kingdom and pope
Like good Christians, some would burn the witches
Later some got slaves to gather riches

But still from near and far to seek America
They came by thousands to court the wild
And she just patiently smiled and bore a child
To be their spirit and guiding light

 
 

And once the ties with the crown had been broken
Westward in saddle and wagon it went
And 'til the railroad linked ocean to ocean
Many the lives which had come to an end
While we bullied, stole and bought our a homeland
We began the slaughter of the red man

But still from near and far to seek America
They came by thousands to court the wild
And she just patiently smiled and bore a child
To be their spirit and guiding light

The blue and grey they stomped it
They kicked it just like a dog
And when the war over
They stuffed it just like a hog

And though the past has it's share of injustice
Kind was the spirit in many a way
But it's protectors and friends have been sleeping
Now it's a monster and will not obey

(Suicide)
The spirit was freedom and justice
And it's keepers seem generous and kind
It's leaders were supposed to serve the country
But now they won't pay it no mind
'Cause the people grew fat and got lazy
And now their vote is a meaningless joke
They babble about law and order
But it's all just an echo of what they've been told
Yeah, there's a monster on the loose
It's got our heads into a noose
And it just sits there watchin'

Our cities have turned into jungles
And corruption is stranglin' the land
The police force is watching the people
And the people just can't understand
We don't know how to mind our own business
'Cause the whole worlds got to be just like us
Now we are fighting a war over there
No matter who's the winner
We can't pay the cost
'Cause there's a monster on the loose
It's got our heads into a noose
And it just sits there watching

(America)
America where are you now?
Don't you care about your sons and daughters?
Don't you know we need you now
We can't fight alone against the monster

Maybe this will help. Agreed then and now.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...