Help choosing: Forte III or RF 7 III for 2.1 setup

WorkingEdge

Hello everyone,

First post here but have been reading for awhile. I’ve read every thread and review I can find  on these two speakers but still find myself indecisive. I’ve read and watched Youthman’s posts and videos. I’ve ready MetropolisLakeOufitter’s review here as well (and plan on purchasing from him). 

I guess my indecisiveness is due to my plan of using a sub with either. I recall most comparisons was without a sub. Wonder how opinions will change with?

They will replace RP260F’s in home theater setup that includes RP 250c, four other low end Klipsch in wall and ceiling speakers, and SVS SB 13 sub driven by Denon X4300.  Multi use room but I prefer 2.1 music. 

Thanks in advance!

Steven

Thanks, Bill!

Would totally go for RC64III as well but wife won’t go for it.   Probably need separate amp as well. I never knew about the Heritage side of things until a year ago while waiting for new RF7III info. Now I hear so much good about them especially the new Forte makes it hard to decide.   

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  

I guess using a sub would not compensate for the less slam and bass of Forte III in comparison to RF7 III or is RF 7 III just so good?

i will also take the opportunity to say I really enjoy and appreciate this forum!  I’ve learned so much. 

Edited by WorkingEdge
Question expanded

3 hours ago, WorkingEdge said:

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  

I guess using a sub would not compensate for the less slam and bass of Forte III in comparison to RF7 III or is RF 7 III just so good?

i will also take the opportunity to say I really enjoy and appreciate this forum!  I’ve learned so much. 

Both have pretty good slam but that SB13 Ultra takes that slam thing to another level.

Bill

If you plan on using a sub (neither of these speakers really require them), I would go with the Fortes. Reason being crossover and overall sound. If you are crossing over to the sub at 80 or 60, you are for the most part only utilizing the tweeter and midrange. Good with both units BUT the Forte has a horn mid. Without a sub in the picture I would probably lean towards the RF7 IIIs. Just a thought.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:16 AM, WorkingEdge said:

Hello everyone,

Hello Steven, welcome to the forums.  I've never owned or even listened to either of the speakers you're asking about.  I'd like to make a general comment about Heritage speakers vs Reference.

I have owned La Scalas and Khorns and I found them difficult to integrate into a HT setup.  I now use RF-83's and I find they integrate very well into my 5.1 living room setup.

I am suggesting the RF-7 III because I think it will integrate easier into your current HT setup.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kalifornian said:

I have integrated La Scallas, Belles, and Forte III in HT applications flawlessly. 

I'm not being facetious but maybe you have more skill than I, or maybe your room is better.  In my case with my goofy room and different kinds of speakers I couldn't get the Khorns in particular to sound proper.

The problem with them is they are fantastic 2.0 speakers.  Anytime I added a center or other speakers to the mix the Khorns got dumbed down.  They sounded OK in my 5.1 but they lost their sparkle and performance as Audyssey would always pad them down to about -11 db.  I always knew in a 5.1 I was leaving performance on the table.  The RF-83's (and some other floorstanders I've used in the past) just seemed to integrate better.

a pair of ten inch woofers will push the equivalent of 1.5 time a single twelve inch woofer then there is the fact that your power handling with a pair of tens is going to be at least twice that of a single twelve. Then you have a simpler less complex crossover plus one less crossover to deal with and listen to, that's a lot of benefits.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for additional input! The use of a sub was why I started thread, thinking that may be a factor.  If I could use my RP260’s as surrounds that would be great but doors and windows won’t allow ideal placement. They would end up in rear surround position at best. The only other RP series speaker is RP250c which I guess would be TOTALLY outclassed by RF7III. Since RC64III is still unlikely, I was thinking about trying the phantom center idea? My current surrounds are Klipsch R1650’s and C1650’s (needed  inexpensive speakers to fill holes once upon a time) and not sure how well those will integrate with RF7 or Forte. 

13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I'm not being facetious but maybe you have more skill than I, or maybe your room is better.  In my case with my goofy room and different kinds of speakers I couldn't get the Khorns in particular to sound proper.

The problem with them is they are fantastic 2.0 speakers.  Anytime I added a center or other speakers to the mix the Khorns got dumbed down.  They sounded OK in my 5.1 but they lost their sparkle and performance as Audyssey would always pad them down to about -11 db.  I always knew in a 5.1 I was leaving performance on the table.  The RF-83's (and some other floorstanders I've used in the past) just seemed to integrate better.

That's the compromise you get when using the LaScala ect for HT...you do leave performance on the table in order to match with the other speakers.  That being said, your HT is only as strong as the weakest speaker....The RF7 will have to get padded down as well....and the other issue is that if you are going to do stereo listening as well then you want those heritage speakers there for that vs RF....

• Like 1

So after changing my mind about 20 times, I finally went with Forte III. If I went with RF7III, I’d want matching center, then better in wall and ceiling speakers to match, then a more powerful multichannel amp, and lastly my 55 inch 1080P 10 year old TV will have to go.  Not prepared for all that. Haha!

A pleasant conversation with Cory on a Sunday, and I have a pair of Black Ash  Forte’s coming along with a Parasound A23. 

Thanks to all who replied!  Back to reading and learning. 

• Like 4